Geno's comment on Ice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's comment on Ice

Reaction Score
I went to college in the Boston area, so I used to listen to Johnny Most (or, as Bradley called him, Johnny Least) on the radio. In four years, I never heard the Celtics lose a game fair and square. Either the other team was "beating our guys up and the refs simply aren't calling anything," or "the other team spent the entire night at the foul line." But they were great. I was up in the second balcony (above the smoke) for Cousy's final game at the Boston Garden (Game 5 of the Finals against the Lakers) in 1964; they lost, but clinched it in Game 6 at L.A.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Geno told Ice that she reminds him of Willis Reed. She said, "Who?" He told her to go watch some old videos.

I can totally see it. A smooth lefty with an outside shot and a strong body.

The Captain:

I first thought this topic was Geno commenting on the UConn Womens Team.

Then I read about Ice's comparison to Willis Reed.
He told her to go watch some old tapes.
I wonder if Ice will watch game 7 vs the Lakers, when Reed hobbled onto the court, took 2 shots, and that was enough.
Nothing was better than that. Of course if you were a kid growing up in NY the game wasnt on live tv. You had to wait for a replay, at I think midnight. We listened to Marv on the radio describing the action.

Reaction Score
I once was able to sneak into Madison Square by carrying Willis Reed's bag. Back then, if you were a youngster and hung around the player's entrance, some would let you carry in a bag - and you were in
I was on the free pass list for games played at Penn's Palestra, having played on their (Frosh) team in '66-'67. A portion of the roof blew off Philadelphia's Spectrum in February, 1968, necessitating the 76ers play several games at Penn. A free pass to ANY Palestra game, so I went to a Knicks-Sixers playoff game well before tipoff, just as the Knicks' bus was arriving. Bradley was my idol, having seen him many times against Yale while in secondary school in New Haven. But my most vivid memory was Cazzie Russell exiting the bus, no more than ten feet away from me. Shoulders so wide I thought they extended from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh!

Reaction Score
Lucas (Royals, Warriors, Knicks) never played for the Sixers. Perhaps you were thinking of Luke Jackson, who started on the 66-67 NBA championship team with Wilt, Greer, Chet (the Jet) Walker and Wally (Won
Thank you, I stand corrected.

Reaction Score
I went to college in the Boston area, so I used to listen to Johnny Most (or, as Bradley called him, Johnny Least) on the radio. In four years, I never heard the Celtics lose a game fair and square. Either the other team was "beating our guys up and the refs simply aren't calling anything," or "the other team spent the entire night at the foul line." But they were great. I was up in the second balcony (above the smoke) for Cousy's final game at the Boston Garden (Game 5 of the Finals against the Lakers) in 1964; they lost, but clinched it in Game 6 at L.A.
Johnny Most…….the poster child for “homer”. Not an objective thought in his pea brain. In his view, Wilt (who never fouled out in his NBA career) was a thug, Russell (whom I greatly admired despite being a Wilt fan) never fouled anyone and was a saint.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I went to S.I.U, in the mid 60's when Walt Frazier played for the U. He was obviously. BMOC. leading the team while winning the NIT. Which at the time was a bigger tourney than the NCAA. What a thrill for all.

Reaction Score
For those who think Ice is going to mach up unfavorably to the 6-5 or 6-6 opponents' centers: Reed gave up 3-4" to Wilt Chamberlain, whom he faced in their first championship. Reed was the MVP of that series IIRC.
Exactly

For those who disagree I found this old UConn-Baylor game from 2010. 6'3" Tina Charles vs 6'8 Britney Griner. The announcers described how to play offensively against much taller players. You have to watch the video to learn the technique.

[MEDIA=youtube

Brady also has the ability to take an opposing post out to the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I first thought this topic was Geno commenting on the UConn Womens Team.

Then I read about Ice's comparison to Willis Reed.
He told her to go watch some old tapes.
I wonder if Ice will watch game 7 vs the Lakers, when Reed hobbled onto the court, took 2 shots, and that was enough.
Nothing was better than that. Of course if you were a kid growing up in NY the game wasnt on live tv. You had to wait for a replay, at I think midnight. We listened to Marv on the radio describing the action.
It was a friday night and we listened in the car on the way to a our cabin in the berkshires. An indelible memory.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Exactly

For those who disagree I found this old UConn-Baylor game from 2010. 6'3" Tina Charles vs 6'8 Britney Griner. The announcers described how to play offensively against much taller players. You have to watch the video to learn the technique.

Griner was setting records for blocked shots that season. Once I saw Tina convert on her baby hook over BG, I knew we would be all right.

Reaction Score
I loved watching it but I kept wondering what was missing. Then I realized that each lay up, dunk or block wasn't followed by a group primal scream and serial chest bumps. Ah the good old days!
Yes, this was before Me-ism and individuality was driven by social media and self-adulation was rampant. The notable difference between athletes and entertainers...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom