Geno Will Double Down | The Boneyard

Geno Will Double Down

Reaction Score
Like many of my fellow Boneyarders, I was extremely disappointed that we didn't land Aliyah Boston. So be it. But I was actually more surprised by the many posts I viewed that were already writing Geno's obituary.

Please let us not underestimate Geno Auriemma. You don't build one of, if not THE best sports dynasties in collegiate history without a fire in your belly. Geno is as competitive as anybody. I believe he will take the disappointment of this year's recruiting and will redouble his efforts to the long term future of this program.

Maybe because it's Thanksgiving or maybe I'm just in a reflective mood, but I'm so thankful for all the joy this program has given to all of us over the years. And trust me, it ain't over.

BTW, don't forget about this year's team. I think they'll be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Reaction Score
Like many of my fellow Boneyarders, I was extremely disappointed that we didn't land Aliyah Boston. So be it. But I was actually more surprised by the many posts I viewed that were already writing Geno's obituary.

Please let us not underestimate Geno Auriemma. You don't build one of, if not THE best sports dynasties in collegiate history without a fire in your belly. Geno is as competitive as anybody. I believe he will take the disappointment of this year's recruiting and will redouble his efforts to the long term future of this program.

Maybe because it's Thanksgiving or maybe I'm just in a reflective mood, but I'm so thankful for all the joy this program has given to all of us over the years. And trust me, it ain't over.

BTW, don't forget about this year's team. I think they'll be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I've been a UC WCBB fan for a long long time. I watched every game I could in the very lean (very few too) lean years. I like winning, I hate losing but these young women that I followed gave me joy in the losses and in the wins. I felt their heart breaking in the losses and my saddness was not for me but for them. I have felt the pain of some being relegated to the bench or a sharp tongue; to me that's what I'm supposed to do as a fan of these kids; being protective.
I don't know if when two people manage, coach a team that wins so often that it can be called a dynasty. Maybe when Shea takes over and continues winning that will start the dynasty. As one knee deep in UC WBB I call it glorious, simply amazingly glorious!
So, win or lose by one point or two; I'll be there blaming Geno or Christine or Shea which honestly is an insult to the opponents, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Let's see, in the last 200 games, the women have only won 197 of them. THREE LOSSES! That's unacceptable. I'm giving up and I'm going to start watching some of those old Bowling For Dollars shows instead. Or the Canadian Curling championship.:D

Reaction Score
Let's see, in the last 200 games, the women have only won 197 of them. THREE LOSSES! That's unacceptable. I'm giving up and I'm going to start watching some of those old Bowling For Dollars shows instead. Or the Canadian Curling championship.:D

Chief, all that matters at CT is winning championships. Last count 0-2 the last 2 years after 4 years of Stewie (the most decorated female player in the world?). You are right CT HAD a fabulous run. THAT'S THE POINT! There are NO GUARANTEES of that continuing. In fact you can bet it will not continue. Geno doesnt seem to be working at recruiting to maintain that level. Does he think the CT name is enough (cuz it apparently ain't)? Is he getting outworked by ND, SC, BAY, TX? Unfortunately, Geno (and by association all of you) are in for a rude awakening. The playing field has leveled for the top 6-7 teams. We will see how good Geno really is.

Reaction Score
Not over? If you are referring to Jones I believe she is the last uncommitted player in ESPN's Top 100. That would be a great (AND MUCH NEEDED!) get. I would expect to get Jones. I wouldnt expect UConn to virtually wiff (sans Griffin) on an entire recruiting class. Do recruits "flip" in NCAA womens bball? I hope so. I dont think I've seen anyone flip before. Even EDD, D'JB and AEH showed up at UConn before they left.

Reaction Score
This recruiting season is not over.

that's very true......................Ms Jones could turn this whole thing around with one simple signature...................I think it would be a fitting way to end the 2019 recruiting cycle but I'm not counting on it.........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This recruiting season is not over.

This was the EARLY signing period. There is still plenty of time to find players in the 2019 class that can come in next year, including JC and graduate transfers, or that hidden raw talented gem that fell through the cracks and failed to be recognize as a top rated talent. The regular D1 Basketball signing period is April 17, 2019 to May 15, 2019. The ship is still moored to the dock. It's not going anywhere until the late spring. :)

I realize that Geno does not like junior college transfers, but it is an option. Right now my guess is that all options that are available and on the table must be explored. All of the hoopGurlz top 100 players are signed except #1 Haley Jones and #68 Kennedy Tucker, a 5-10 pg from NLR H.S. East Campus (AR). There are still many players not in the top 100 that are available.

This is the pool that the mid-majors who can't compete with the elite division 1 programs in recruiting find their players. Just because a player is not ranked in the top 100 or a McD all American does not mean she can't play. I've seen many UConn opponents that were not top 100 that I would have liked to have seen on UConn's roster. Some were more talented than our reserves.

Only 1 other AAC program besides UConn signed a top 100 player from the HoopGurlz 2019 class. Memphis signed #80 Lanetta Williams. Don't let a player's ranking or non ranking fool you. Some of the players ranked in the top 100 of most rating services are never heard from once the leave high school.

All I'm saying here is that the well is not dry. There still may be 1-2 players unsigned that can hook on with UConn (and be glad to come) and help them win some games next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Me too, I like those Canadian curling contests. My Dad, a native Canadian, tried to compete. However they told him to come back when he had hair. Last year the Shirley Temple ringlets won, did you see that match, just thrilling albeit quiet.

Reaction Score
This was the EARLY signing period. There is still plenty of time to find players in the 2019 class that can come in next year, including JC and graduate transfers, or that hidden raw talented gem that fell through the cracks and failed to be recognize as a top rated talent. The regular D1 Basketball signing period is April 17, 2019 to May 15, 2019. The ship is still moored to the dock. It's not going anywhere until the late spring. :)

I realize that Geno does not like junior college transfers, but it is an option. Right now my guess is all options that are available and on the table must be explored. All of the top 100 players are signed, but there are still many players not in the top 100 that are available. This is the pool that the mid-majors who can't compete with the elite division 1 programs in recruiting find their players. Just because a player is not ranked in the top 100 does not mean she can't play. I've seen many UConn opponents that were not top 100 that I would have liked to see on UConn's roster.

Only 1 other AAC program besides UConn signed a top 100 player from the HoopGurlz 2019 class. Memphis signed #80 Lanetta Williams. Don't let a player's ranking or non ranking fool you. Some of the players ranked in the top 100 of most rating services are never heard from once the leave high school.

If I recall Uconn actually got one of those lesser players during the April/May signing period--if memory doesn't fail me --it was something like Megan Walker???
Scoop you always make these posts entertaining.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If I recall Uconn actually got one of those lesser players during the April/May signing period--if memory doesn't fail me --it was something like Megan Walker???
Scoop you always make these posts entertaining.

No Broadway. Walker was the #1 player in her class of 2017. She signed her LOI on Nov 10, 2016 during the early signing period as the narrative below notes "a few weeks before her senior season". :)

1543015068479.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Meg, Liv, and Christyn all announced during the Nov. signing period of their respective senior years. All made the Boneyard nervous, but all were worth waiting for.

Reaction Score

I realize that Geno does not like junior college transfers, but it is an option. Right now my guess is that all options that are available and on the table must be explored. All of the hoopGurlz top 100 players are signed except #1 Haley Jones and #68 Kennedy Tucker, a 5-10 pg from NLR H.S. East Campus (AR). There are still many players not in the top 100 that are available.

This is the pool that the mid-majors who can't compete with the elite division 1 programs in recruiting find their players. Just because a player is not ranked in the top 100 or a McD all American does not mean she can't play. I've seen many UConn opponents that were not top 100 that I would have liked to have seen on UConn's roster. Some were more talented than our reserves.

All I'm saying here is that the well is not dry. There still may be 1-2 players unsigned that can hook on with UConn (and be glad to come) and help them win some games next year.

Jones is the ONLY player available that can help UConn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jones is the ONLY player available that can help UConn.
What happens if she doesn’t come as many posters here fear she won’t? Then what?

Reaction Score
Chief, all that matters at CT is winning championships. Last count 0-2 the last 2 years after 4 years of Stewie (the most decorated female player in the world?). You are right CT HAD a fabulous run. THAT'S THE POINT! There are NO GUARANTEES of that continuing. In fact you can bet it will not continue. Geno doesnt seem to be working at recruiting to maintain that level. Does he think the CT name is enough (cuz it apparently ain't)? Is he getting outworked by ND, SC, BAY, TX? Unfortunately, Geno (and by association all of you) are in for a rude awakening. The playing field has leveled for the top 6-7 teams. We will see how good Geno really is.

I'll take that bet. You, my friend, have a very, very short memory when it comes to UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Can this forum go a week without an apocalyptic thread? I’m a huge WCBB fan. My love for UConn is unmatched by most other things in life, but come on y’all. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Reaction Score

So we will see how good Geno is? Let’s see, he’s been at UConn since 1985, won 11 national championships, Olympic gold medals, won over 1,025 college games, and averaged over 30 wins a season. Just exactly how long is it going to take to see how good he really is? When Geno was able to sign KLS, CD, or Pheesa was it because the other coaches weren’t working hard enough? It is not a rude awakening to predict the level of winning won’t continue, that’s just simply not realistic, what is astonishing is that it happened in the first place. Maybe get a clue to reality in D-1 sports before the next rant. BTW, would you then tell your team how their seasons the past two years were failures since championships are all that matter?

Reaction Score
What happens if she doesn’t come as many posters here fear she won’t? Then what?
Then we do what we had to do in 2014 when the only one to sign with UConn was Saniya Chong: we go out and get a Tierney Lawlor and Brianna Pulido.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom