Geno v Tara | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno v Tara

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
True, but Geno gets criticized for it. I've never read one thing about Tara's poorly chosen comments. In fact I remember another female coach accused Geno of cheating and the media has dodged talking about that ever since.
Edit: I don't think Tara's "Tenn will clobber em" was snarky. But she is universally worshipped as a basketball genius so why has she never been asked about that? If Geno had made a comment similar to that there would have been a panel formed to discuss it. :)

But back to the topic I'd say that Tara would trade a whole bunch of her wins for more titles.
Exactly! It's about the hardware and Geno has no peer in that category.

Reaction Score
I'll never forget Tara, smarting from the beat down UConn put on Stanford in the 1995 Final Four, coming out with the pronouncement that Tennessee would slaughter the Huskies. What does that have to do with the question at hand? Nothing ... or everything.
Not just that because she also treated Lobo like crap on the USNT.

Reaction Score
Lobo did have an offer to Stanford and it was one of the schools her parents would have liked her to go. She was the Top Student at her school. That's why they were against UConn. They called it her safety net school. Then her mother took a tour at UConn for academics and asked a lot of questions about that part. I remember both Rebecca and her Mom talking about this.

Reaction Score
My grudge lasted a decade before admitting to myself she's a great coach; though not nearly as great as the Italian, I don't believe Geno's ego cares about that "record".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tara didn’t like that Lobo was “placed” on the team even though there were pros that were better. And then she did make several negative comments. Slower than iceberg I believe was one.

That said the minutes lobo got were deserved — she was the 12th best of 12.
Pros weren’t allowed in 1995

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She didn't want to have Rebecca on the team. The Olympic committee was the one that got Rebecca on the team. Rebecca was one of the most recognized WBB players and they TOLD Tara that Lobo is on the team.
For about the billionth time: the Olympic committee chooses the team, not the coach. Didn’t we make this same argument to Tennessee fans after they accused Geno of bias towards Candace Parker and we pointed to the committee?

So much vitriol for events that took place 25 years ago. Tara, Pat, Wendy Larry, Rene Portland, Sylvia Hatchell - all were a ball of fire as younger coaches, as was Geno. And all (but Pat, RIP) is a much mellower person today.

Geno and Tara have become friends. Watch them in the pre-game chats. They are both good people who said dopey things when they were younger and full of piss and vinegar, as my beloved step-father would say. Tara is good people and a fine coach. Dredging up ancient history is just burning energy on something Geno forgot about 25 years ago.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For about the billionth time: the Olympic committee chooses the team, not the coach. Didn’t we make this same argument to Tennessee fans after they accused Geno of bias towards Candace Parker and we pointed to the committee?
That's pretty much what @MSGRET was saying. Why the vitriol?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Confession: A half dozen years ago or so I doubted that Geno would ever catch Tara, the math just seemed too daunting, and yet here we are. To me at least, while most wins ever would be nice to have, it really doesn't matter much. Geno has cemented a legacy as the best WBB coach ever. Yes, the 11 national championships go long way in that supporting that position but just look at the efficiency with which Geno reached 1098:

1610375868557.png

He did so in three fewer seasons than Summit and 7 fewer seasons than Tara. He did it with only 142 losses and .885 winning percentage. Think about that. Out of every 100 games he'll lose a game (slightly higher but you get the point.) That is staggering. He did it playing the toughest teams available. And he did it against Pat her heyday.

All three will be remembered as the among the greatest WBB coaches ever. National championships set Pat and Geno apart, but clearly Geno is a cut above. And the best part is, the individual records really don't matter to him. Don't get me wrong, he's competitive and wants to be the best, but for time being his focused on this team and this season. We should be as well. So far, it is a great ride.

(FWIW, how long is Stringer going to coach? She's been at it a half century.)

Reaction Score
Pros weren’t allowed in 1995

Huh?
Lobo was the only college player. Everyone (or most everyone) else was playing professionally abroad. Teresa Edwards, Ruthie Bolton, etc.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'll never forget Tara, smarting from the beat down UConn put on Stanford in the 1995 Final Four, coming out with the pronouncement that Tennessee would slaughter the Huskies. What does that have to do with the question at hand? Nothing ... or everything.
sounds in line to one of my favorite movie quotes. name that movie win 5 points

Reaction Score
I remember that as well. I also remember how she treated Rebecca as the Olympic coach. Not a good look. But no one seems to hold any grudges so...

Reaction Score
Tara didn’t like that Lobo was “placed” on the team even though there were pros that were better. And then she did make several negative comments. Slower than iceberg I believe was one.

That said the minutes lobo got were deserved — she was the 12th best of 12.
This was the women’s Laettner Olympic moment. Sorry B... but you stayed classy though, and have ever since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom