Geno/team meet with media on Selection Sunday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno/team meet with media on Selection Sunday

Reaction Score
I think some people forget how good Paige is when she is healthy and the many things she does on the court to make the team better. The question is not whom Paige would replace in the starting lineup but who the other four players would be.

That’s not to diminish anyone else. It’s a team sport, and a single player doesn’t win games by herself. Azzi, Caroline, Nika, and others are playing at a higher level now, and Paige’s role as a pass-first guard and as a floor general will give the others even more opportunities to play their best.

We’ll see if Paige really is like she was before, but if she is, I feel optimistic. Paige’s dream in winning the NC is passing the ball to Azzi for the game-winning shot.
Paige was our best offensive player and defensive player before she got hurt so yeah if she’s close to full strength, I feel really really really good about our chances.

Reaction Score
Nice dodge of the question. But seriously, who does Geno remove from the starting lineup? Back at the beginning of the season, When Paige was starting, Nika Muhl was not. So, at first glance, that would be the obvious choice. Are you good with that?

I do not fixate on irrelevant things--Geno has said its immaterial who starts, and the players have shown it doesn't matter to them, it seems only important to a significant portion of the Boneyard. But since you asked--if I were Geno, I would develop my line up based on the opponent's strengths, if they are guard oriented, I might start Paige/Azzi/CW/AE/Liv/--if the opponent's strengths is in the front court, then I might go with Paige/CW/Dorka/AE/Liv. But again everyone is going to get 20-25 minutes as it's been going thus far...

Reaction Score
Paige was our best offensive player and defensive player before she got hurt so yeah if she’s close to full strength, I feel really really really good about our chances.
By Geno's account, Paige surely was not our best defensive player.... Certainly, you are entitled to your opinion but Geno does not share your lofty evaluation of Paige's defense...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Did Paige not practice or the whole team?
The sentece starts with "UConn didn't practice on Tuesday-Thursday after the Big East Tournament", so I would think that the whole team didn't practice.

Reaction Score
By Geno's account, Paige surely was not our best defensive player.... Certainly, you are entitled to your opinion but Geno does not share your lofty evaluation of Paige's defense...
By Geno’s account, who was the best defensive player? I never knew that he said who was the best, so I’m honestly curious. UConn has a number of great defensive players.

As for Paige, Geno has praised her defense, especially this year. He said, for example, « She’s so smart offensively that when she’s on defense, she knows exactly where they’re trying to go with the ball. » He has repeatedly called her the best player on the team, so I doubt he thinks she plays defense poorly.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika:

I didn't know that Dorka and Nika knew each other before Nika came to the US. Nika said Dorka was trying to get her to go to Ohio State, then the tables turned and Nika was recruiting Dorka to UConn.

Nika also said the team doesn't care who starts. Maybe a good example for all of us on the Boneyard.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I didn't know that Dorka and Nika knew each other before Nika came to the US. Nika said Dorka was trying to get her to go to Ohio State, then the tables turned and Nika was recruiting Dorka to UConn.

Nika also said the team doesn't care who starts. Maybe a good example for all of us on the Boneyard.
I understand that they met when Nika was looking at O State before Geno called.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure early in the season, in interview or post game press conference said Paige was currently playing the best defense on the team or something to that tune. I can't verify it, but perhaps another BYer remembers as well and can corroborate.

Reaction Score
By Geno’s account, who was the best defensive player? I never knew that he said who was the best, so I’m honestly curious. UConn has a number of great defensive players.

As for Paige, Geno has praised her defense, especially this year. He said, for example, « She’s so smart offensively that when she’s on defense, she knows exactly where they’re trying to go with the ball. » He has repeatedly called her the best player on the team, so I doubt he thinks she plays defense poorly.
Geno has praised Paige's growth on defense, but I do not recall a direct quote in which he called her his best defensive player--if he did, I missed that. He usually considers CW his best one-on-one defender and has of course praised Nika for being the catalyst for UConn's defense.

Reaction Score
Geno has praised Paige's growth on defense, but I do not recall a direct quote in which he called her his best defensive player--if he did, I missed that. He usually considers CW his best one-on-one defender and has of course praised Nika for being the catalyst for UConn's defense.
I think it was in the seton hall postgame where he commented on Paige being the best defender.

Reaction Score
I take back everything I've ever disliked about the long 2 week break between the BE tourney and the start of the NCAAs. Especially this year ...
I wish, though, that the circumstances were the same for every league. The fact that the Big 12 finished one week later is disturbing. Whether it is an advantage or disadvantage is debatable, but one conference shouldn’t be allowed to follow a different path. I know most of the mid majors play that week as well, but no one realistically expects any of those teams to win a National Championship. If I had my druthers, instead of a WNIT, I would have the Top 16 conferences in one tournament and the Bottom 16 in another. It would create more competitive 1-16 and 2-15 matchups and give every single team in the US a chance to win a National Champioship. Of course, in suggesting it I feel like Cassandra; no one will listen.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I wish, though, that the circumstances were the same for every league. The fact that the Big 12 finished one week later is disturbing. Whether it is an advantage or disadvantage is debatable, but one conference shouldn’t be allowed to follow a different path. I know most of the mid majors play that week as well, but no one realistically expects any of those teams to win a National Championship. If I had my druthers, instead of a WNIT, I would have the Top 16 conferences in one tournament and the Bottom 16 in another. It would create more competitive 1-16 and 2-15 matchups and give every single team in the US a chance to win a National Champioship. Of course, in suggesting it I feel like Cassandra; no one will listen.
I can already hear the victorious "we're number 17!" chants.

Reaction Score
Nice dodge of the question. But seriously, who does Geno remove from the starting lineup? Back at the beginning of the season, When Paige was starting, Nika Muhl was not. So, at first glance, that would be the obvious choice. Are you good with that?
Based on recent appearances, I would continue to bring Paige in on with the first wave of substitutions.
Why not?
What is sacrificed by continuing this approach for now?

Reaction Score
I agree with your post.
Also like to add that, based on my observations, Paige is not now at 100%.
Bring her in with the first wave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom