Geno speaks! (er, Tweets) | The Boneyard

Geno speaks! (er, Tweets)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma@genoauriemma
watched our team at 6 am workout and i think we have a chance to be really good #tremedousWorkethic

====================
This is not super newsworthy since I expected him to say nothing less about this year's talent. But I'll take it!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
At this point in the season, though, for him to say they could be really good is noteworthy. Usually he doesn't say much at this point in the year, and just kind of generally makes fun of the freshman...

Very encouraging! When your senior class is led by Kelly faris, Doty and Buck, you know the tone for the workouts must be very intense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm impressed that Geno was on campus watching the 6am workout.

As for Geno's expectations, he did say in his post-Olympics press gathering that the next 2 years should be really special. It's good to hear that the players are putting in the work.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's see. He went to San Antonio to see Caldwell (home visit, I'm sure), then to South Carolina to see A'ja, then home to watch a 6 am workout. Anybody wonder why he is at the pinnacle of his profession?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Let's see. He went to San Antonio to see Caldwell (home visit, I'm sure), then to South Carolina to see A'ja, then home to watch a 6 am workout. Anybody wonder why he is at the pinnacle of his profession?
Another unique quality he possesses is the ability to be deeply involved, as you've outlined in your post, but also to let go and delegate as appropriate. He's not a micromanager, by all accounts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He said almost the exact same thing last year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Ice do you have a link? I remember him hedging a bit. I looked but could not find anything.

For what it's worth, I think last year was one of Geno's best coaching jobs.

Reaction Score

No, he said (paraphrasing) it is going to take some help from the "other" (top) teams in the country for us to win it all. And by help, he meant others 'choking' when it matters. Notre Dame and Baylor never did and therefore we finished right where he hoped (at the Final Four). Obviously, the UConn WCBB program is in it to win it all every year, but realistically, they don' t (and shouldn't) always have be (and aren't) the favorite.

In 2011-12, Baylor & Notre Dame were the favorites and they lived up to their hype. Nothing wrong with that. WCBB would be BORING if UConn was the favorite and won year in/year out.

In 2012-13, Baylor and UConn are the favorites going in. Now we'll see if anyone else steps up to challenge them and if those 2 teams live up their hype.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This isn't quite verbatim, but what I recall was a tweet that said:

If we stop turning the ball over, we can be GREAT. #passittoourguys

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No, he said (paraphrasing) it is going to take some help from the "other" (top) teams in the country for us to win it all. And by help, he meant others 'choking' when it matters. Notre Dame and Baylor never did and therefore we finished right where he hoped (at the Final Four). Obviously, the UConn WCBB program is in it to win it all every year, but realistically, they don' t (and shouldn't) always have be (and aren't) the favorite.

In 2011-12, Baylor & Notre Dame were the favorites and they lived up to their hype. Nothing wrong with that. WCBB would be BORING if UConn was the favorite and won year in/year out.

In 2012-13, Baylor and UConn are the favorites going in. Now we'll see if anyone else steps up to challenge them and if those 2 teams live up their hype.

Good memory. That is indeed what Geno said at a preseason dinner last year. He didn't become more optimistic after practices began last season either as the team turned the ball over repeatedly. Turnovers in key moments proved to be a big issue last year.

Of course, Geno has been known to contradict himself from time to time. But for the most part you can tell when he's giving an honest assessment about his team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I disagree lol. but we will have a chance to see that play out over the next 4 years or so (this year obviously Baylor is favorite but UCONN is 1 of 2. after that they will be 1 of 1)...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This isn't quite verbatim, but what I recall was a tweet that said:

If we stop turning the ball over, we can be GREAT. #passittoourguys
That's what I was thinking of, Alex.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Geno said they had a chance to be really good in 2008-09. He was right, as they won all 39 games by 10+ points.

Reaction Score
I think what should be emphasized is that Geno was probably watching a STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING workout at 6am. At this time of the year, he cannot watch a scrimmage and the comment appears too general to refer to 3-player individual workouts. This is a comment regarding the work ethic of the team, which is even more impressive given the collective basketball talent of this group.

hard work + talent = DyNaMiTe

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
When reading or hearing GenoSpeak, be reminded that if he doesn't modify with a "really," he doesn't mean it. One "really" adjective means he means it. Two "reallys" means he really, really means it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom