Geno said he’s learning to enjoy imperfect games | The Boneyard

Geno said he’s learning to enjoy imperfect games

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I keep seeing on the Boneyard that Geno wants the team to play without mistakes, so why is it unreasonable for fans to want it too? Well, with age comes wisdom, and Geno’s learning to enjoy ugly wins. Is there any chance fans could learn that too?

From the postgame presser, the last question:

Q. You talked a few months ago about learning to kind of relinquish what you can't control and focus on what you can. I guess from a coaching perspective how has that journey been the last few months? And is it easier said than done? Or how would you describe where you are on that?

COACH AURIEMMA: It comes and goes. Somebody said you should lean on your staff a little bit more. And I go, they already do everything. I have the easiest job probably of any head coach in the country because my staff is just unbelievably good.

What I have to constantly be on the lookout for is wanting every game and every possession and every day to be like yesterday, or like the first three quarters today. And that's just not possible.

So you start to learn to take that -- they were brilliant yesterday, and for three quarters, we're up 25, with 3:25 in the quarter, we were magnificent. So if you're going to enjoy that, then you've got to take the fourth quarter, too, and just laugh it off. And back in the day I had a hard time doing that, back in the day meaning last week. (Laughter)

After we lost the Xavier game. Did we lose the Xavier game? Actually we won, but it felt like a loss. It felt like a loss.

And Jamelle's always reminding me of that. C.D. is always reminding me of that. You win a game but you play lousy, you're unhappy because you keep projecting, like this is unacceptable, we can't go on like this, la, la, la, la, la.

Don't go in the locker room and make this feel like a loss. Save that for tomorrow. And I've gotten much, much better

Reaction Score
I keep seeing on the Boneyard that Geno wants the team to play without mistakes, so why is it unreasonable for fans to want it too? Well, with age comes wisdom, and Geno’s learning to enjoy ugly wins. Is there any chance fans could learn that too?
I'm pretty sure Geno is faster than the fans - so I expect the fans to take a little longer but to finally accept an ugly win next February 30th.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Even with a win, short of the final, Geno has to be thinking next game. I wouldn't want him to lose that. Fans, on the other hand, have been conditioned to judge on the UConn standard and not on wins or loses. It sets us apart which is cool, and it makes us nitpicky doomsayers - not so cool.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, I still believe that after the Villanova game on 2/18, the goal was to get thru and survive the last three games without any issues - St John (64-69), DePaul (72-69), and Xavier (60-51). None of these last three games were pretty to watch, however after completing the regular season, the coaches and team had a few days to rest and reset, and focus on Book 2 of the season, the BET. Now onto Book 3.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fans, on the other hand, have been conditioned to judge on the UConn standard and not on wins or loses. It sets us apart which is cool, and it makes us nitpicky doomsayers - not so cool.
Perfect description of UConn fans.

Reaction Score
What I thought was really funny was Geno's comment, somewhere, that he would not watch the games live when CD was coaching. He would just check the scores or wait until the game was over.

I think a number of us, including me, can relate to that.

Reaction Score

From the postgame presser, the last question:

Q. You talked a few months ago about learning to kind of relinquish what you can't control and focus on what you can. I guess from a coaching perspective how has that journey been the last few months? And is it easier said than done? Or how would you describe where you are on that?

COACH AURIEMMA: It comes and goes. Somebody said you should lean on your staff a little bit more. And I go, they already do everything. I have the easiest job probably of any head coach in the country because my staff is just unbelievably good.

What I have to constantly be on the lookout for is wanting every game and every possession and every day to be like yesterday, or like the first three quarters today. And that's just not possible.

So you start to learn to take that -- they were brilliant yesterday, and for three quarters, we're up 25, with 3:25 in the quarter, we were magnificent. So if you're going to enjoy that, then you've got to take the fourth quarter, too, and just laugh it off. And back in the day I had a hard time doing that, back in the day meaning last week. (Laughter)

After we lost the Xavier game. Did we lose the Xavier game? Actually we won, but it felt like a loss. It felt like a loss.

And Jamelle's always reminding me of that. C.D. is always reminding me of that. You win a game but you play lousy, you're unhappy because you keep projecting, like this is unacceptable, we can't go on like this, la, la, la, la, la.

Don't go in the locker room and make this feel like a loss. Save that for tomorrow. And I've gotten much, much better
What a wonderful message from the coaching staff, to accept a great win despite the lack of perfection .... it would be so depressing to have to wait for anything but perfection ....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom