Geno raised the black flag on Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno raised the black flag on Sunday

Reaction Score
I believe you are correct. Very deep blue. Hard to distinguish in a lot of settings, but cannot see the logic behind not wearing your team color.
Navy blue?? Nice fix. I have an affinity to Navy Blue and Gold.--I like your logic.

Reaction Score
In dress, nowadays, Black is known as the "power" color. When you want to project power or feel in your power, wear all black. Try it at Christmas dinner!:cool::rolleyes:
Uconn are the good guys; they should wear the White hats.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How does black signify " no surrender, no retreat?" Just curious.

Mainly because a white flag signals 'giving up' and 'complete surrender'. The opposite of white is black. Hence 'no surrender no retreat'.

Also, 'flying the black flag' was a pirate method of telling you 'we are coming to board your ship, take your things, and kill you if you resist'.

Reaction Score
Interesting take on the black uniforms. The black flag reference though in the title of the thread, has bad connotations in both Geno's country of birth (Italy) and for the USA as well. I know that's not what you meant, just wanted to make you aware.
I like your relating this to history, some forgot or never knew.

Reaction Score
Mainly because a white flag signals 'giving up' and 'complete surrender'. The opposite of white is black. Hence 'no surrender no retreat'.

Also, 'flying the black flag' was a pirate method of telling you 'we are coming to board your ship, take your things, and kill you if you resist'.

If it is no surrender or no retreat; shouldn't they then carry the Marine flag? Or Army flag?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't have a clue what this is but I enjoyed it. :D

Hey, you don't have to wait for half-time to get an entertaining show. How the All Blacks have conscripted a Maori tradition and get to hurl it at their opponents before every game is beyond me. If I was the other team I'd be turning around and mooning them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't have a clue what this is but I enjoyed it. :D

Maori tradition before they went into battle, intended to intimidate their opponents. Most of those guys don't look Maori but a few of them probably are. They didn't really zoom in on their faces when they stick their tongue out and give you a major stink face.

Reaction Score

I believe that in times past, a black flag raised during or before a battle meant "no quarter", i.e., that all of the opposing soldiers were to be killed, not taken captive. Didn't Mexican General Santa Ana raise that "no quarters" black flag before the final assault in the Alamo?

Seem to be remembering, but haven't looked it up.

As to colors, the official color of the state of Connecticut is white, signifying purity. The flag has a blue background. Don't know where black came in. Same for those hideous silver uni's.

Time to get back to the state's colors.

Reaction Score
Hey, you don't have to wait for half-time to get an entertaining show. How the All Blacks have conscripted a Maori tradition and get to hurl it at their opponents before every game is beyond me. If I was the other team I'd be turning around and mooning them.

Actually, the dance is called the Hakka. It's a tradition before every All Blacks match. And the other team is very respectful, standing quietly while they perform it. Of course, if they're playing the Fijian team, the Hakka is followed by the Fijian war dance, with simulated spear thrusts. Really entertaining!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Traditionally the black flag was the the symbol of anarchists, pirates, and others who were set on overthrowing the established order. It is said that some Confederate units flew black flags as a message that no quarter would be given. Perhaps think of it as the opposite of the white flag of surrender or cease fire. As to uniforms, it means whatever you want it to mean. :)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If it is no surrender or no retreat; shouldn't they then carry the Marine flag? Or Army flag?

Yes, but black is a way cooler color, and way more intimidating. The New Zealand All Blacks do it perfectly. As shown in Rocket009's post.

Reaction Score
I believe that in times past, a black flag raised during or before a battle meant "no quarter", i.e., that all of the opposing soldiers were to be killed, not taken captive. Didn't Mexican General Santa Ana raise that "no quarters" black flag before the final assault in the Alamo?

Seem to be remembering, but haven't looked it up.

As to colors, the official color of the state of Connecticut is white, signifying purity. The flag has a blue background. Don't know where black came in. Same for those hideous silver uni's.

Time to get back to the state's colors.
The state flag uses azure blue.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Yes, but black is a way cooler color, and way more intimidating. The New Zealand All Blacks do it perfectly. As shown in Rocket009's post.
The Scottish Royal Highlanders have a regiment known as The Black Watch. Their history in battle is storied, and they have been awarded many military honors over the years. They fought in all of Britain's foreign campaigns dating. back to the early !700s. Their traditional dress uniforms are Black Tartan kilts. The Germans were so intimidated by them that they coined the term 'The Ladies From Hell" to describe them in their dress kilts. I believe at one point certain U S Army ranger units wore black berets as a sign of unique ID. Black has often marked "special" military units. Unfortunately, the SS wore black to distinguish themselves from regular army units in the 1930s and 40s. Maybe distinguish is a poor choice of words there. Anyway, black was always scary.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually, the dance is called the Hakka. It's a tradition before every All Blacks match. And the other team is very respectful, standing quietly while they perform it. Of course, if they're playing the Fijian team, the Hakka is followed by the Fijian war dance, with simulated spear thrusts. Really entertaining!!

I know it's a haka and it's origins go way back in Maori history. As used by the All Blacks it is a challenge haka. But the All Blacks are not Maor (though generally there are some Maori players), but a professional New Zealand team. I suspect in the US we'd called it a shameful cultural appropriation and go from there! Can't say I've seen a Fijian war dance, but more power to them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Scottish Royal Highlanders have a regiment known as The Black Watch. Their history in battle is storied, and they have been awarded many military honors over the years. They fought in all of Britain's foreign campaigns dating. back to the early !700s. Their traditional dress uniforms are Black Tartan kilts. The Germans were so intimidated by them that they coined the term 'The Ladies From Hell" to describe them in their dress kilts. I believe at one point certain U S Army ranger units wore black berets as a sign of unique ID. Black has often marked "special" military units. Unfortunately, the SS wore black to distinguish themselves from regular army units in the 1930s and 40s. Maybe distinguish is a poor choice of words there. Anyway, black was always scary.

Yeah, but the Black Watch Tartan is not black. About 3 variations. Most common:

1543882284433.png

We are in full digression mode now, eh!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the Black Watch Tartan is not black. About 3 variations. Most common:

View attachment 37051

We are in full digression mode now, eh!
The Black Watch tartan has alternating single and double black lines on blue, which makes it distinctive. And we are so far from where we started we will never get back! But who cares?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The announcer, Adam, pointed out at the beginning that they were black and that it was the first time they had ever worn them.

As far as the no quarter, no surrender business, isn't that what pirates did in their day, ie, raise a black flag? Maybe someone can clear this up.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Maybe this was some very subtle humor by Geno. He is famous for his subtlety, you know. His team just appropriated navy blue/black so that the Huskies could have as many school colors as ND claims (gold, Kelly green, white, blue, goldenrod, and pastel green). But then, I could be mistaken.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Many years ago when Steve Lavin was coach of the UCLA men, and John Wooden was still alive, The team wore black at some away game. Wooden spoke out strongly against it. I don't think it ever happened again.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The announcer, Adam, pointed out at the beginning that they were black and that it was the first time they had ever worn them.

As far as the no quarter, no surrender business, isn't that what pirates did in their day, ie, raise a black flag? Maybe someone can clear this up.
See #36 above. But you are already there. :)

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You'll never here me denigrate a Scotsman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom