Geno quote for the archives | The Boneyard

Geno quote for the archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This one belongs on the list I think:
"You know, it's not easy to clear your head when there's nothing in there. That would be a very difficult thing to do."

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This one belongs on the list I think:
"You know, it's not easy to clear your head when there's nothing in there. That would be a very difficult thing to do."
I would think the exact opposite would be true. But that's just me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Can one empty an empty box? However, one can clean a Clean Room.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The context of the quote is interesting. He was talking about Stewie who couldn't explain why she took 3 consecutive turn-around jumpers in the lane. I guess someone asked him if the time on the bench allowed Stewie to clear her head. I can understand his frustration.

“I don’t know what I was thinking," Stewart said. "I kept wanting to do a turnaround jump shot in the post. It is not something that I do a lot. I honestly don’t have a reason for it. I did it, then I did it again and I did it again. Then I came out. Usually when we are around the basket like that we do hook shots.”

Nobody was more surprised to see Stewart's bizarre shot selection than Auriemma.

"It is not easy to clear your head when there is nothing in there, that would be a very difficult thing to do," Auriemma said. "I asked her during the first timeout 'Stewie do we practice those shots you are taking?' She said 'no. I said 'why are you taking them?' She said 'I don't know.' So when people start talking to you like that, you just shake your head. She did it three times in a row so they are kids and you don't know what goes through their heads. It is unlike her, usually she takes the kind of shots that we know she is going to take and we know she is going to make, those first three were just bizarre. She is shooting 90 percent on those jump hooks over the front of the rim and decided she didn't want to shoot them, they were too easy of something.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What I love just as much is "Stewie, do we practice those shots you are taking?" "no" "Why are you taking them?" "I don't know." Like dialogue from a basketball Waiting for Godot. Surreal.

Reaction Score
maybe she was just trying to expand her repertoire for when she's down low. she knows that she's not always going to be playing against the BU's of the basketball world. turn around jump shots are not exactly out of the question when you're down low, especially with a little fade away. when the game is a laugher, not a bad time to work on such things. why wouldn't geno encourage that in games like that one last night?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
why wouldn't geno encourage that in games like that one last night?

Because it's a game, not a practice. The point of practice is to... well, PRACTICE. If she hasn't been practicing to master the shot IN practice, why on earth would she start to during a game when she should be practicing the stuff she DID practice in a game environment.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
maybe she was just trying to expand her repertoire for when she's down low. she knows that she's not always going to be playing against the BU's of the basketball world. turn around jump shots are not exactly out of the question when you're down low, especially with a little fade away. when the game is a laugher, not a bad time to work on such things. why wouldn't geno encourage that in games like that one last night?

Absolutely not.

Yes, she should add to her repertoire. That's what practice is for.

Edit, and in case someone points out that a game environment is not the same as a practice environment, absolutely. But you try it FIRST in practice, then in a game situation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The game wasn't a laugher when she took those shots. Three of her first 4 shots were turn-around jumpers which even Stewie admitted she doesn't practice. I would think practice would be the opportunity to work on new shots. She has a 7-1 wingspan with a hook shot that should be unstoppable. I would think repetitions on that shot would what you'd want to do 6 games in to the season.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
why wouldn't geno encourage that in games like that one last night?

Because it's a game, not a practice. The point of practice is to... well, PRACTICE. If she hasn't been practicing to master the shot IN practice, why on earth would she start to during a game when she should be practicing the stuff she DID practice in a game environment.
I agree with both posts. Geno was on Kia for only having one move in the low post. ( in the all access video) Stewart should be encouraged to use different moves, but they need to be perfected in practice first. I hope that was the message conveyed to her. To Geno, yes, the hook shot is easy, but why not try other shots?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
As Iverson would say "we talkin bout practice" JK

Reaction Score

Because they were bad decisions even if they would have went in. She's 6'4" with a 7'2" wing span and can make a hook shot with either hand and was within 3 feet of the basket there is no one in the country she should be taking a turnaround jumper against in those situations. One of the fundamental philosophies of UConn basketball is making the decision that the game situation demands irregardless of the opponent. UConn is the place you go to learn to be drilled in that or aspire to play the game that way. And if one player decides just to do whatever, she actually cheats the other 4 players on the floor that worked to get her that opportunity.

Reaction Score
To Geno, yes, the hook shot is easy, but why not try other shots?

Because playing at UConn is about mastering the fundamentals not trying other shots. To play at UConn means submitting to basketball orthodoxy. If you want to learn 15 different post moves CD isn't going to teach them. She is going to teach the 4 or 5 fundamental moves necessary to deal with every situation, especially when there are 4 other All-Americans on the floor. It is part of the reason UConn is not for every player. If you're at UConn trying stuff is for your off time or after a player leaves UConn. Practice and games are times for doing it the UConn way.

Reaction Score
Because playing at UConn is about mastering the fundamentals not trying other shots. To play at UConn means submitting to basketball orthodoxy. If you want to learn 15 different post moves CD isn't going to teach them. She is going to teach the 4 or 5 fundamental moves necessary to deal with every situation, especially when there are 4 other All-Americans on the floor. It is part of the reason UConn is not for every player. If you're at UConn trying stuff is for your off time or after a player leaves UConn. Practice and games are times for doing it the UConn way.
then she better get breanna working on the turn around, because that's pretty fundamental.
I agree with both posts. Geno was on Kia for only having one move in the low post. ( in the all access video) Stewart should be encouraged to use different moves, but they need to be perfected in practice first. I hope that was the message conveyed to her. To Geno, yes, the hook shot is easy, but why not try other shots?

Absolutely not.

Yes, she should add to her repertoire. That's what practice is for.

Edit, and in case someone points out that a game environment is not the same as a practice environment, absolutely. But you try it FIRST in practice, then in a game situation.

but uconn practices are tougher than games against teams like BU.seems like the perfect time to work on it.

Reaction Score
then she better get breanna working on the turn around, because that's pretty fundamental.

I doubt it is on the priority list, especially when Breanna has yet to mast the fundamentals that are precursors to a fadeaway being a good choice of shot for her, which it would never be where Breanna attempted those 3 shots. The coaches don't spend their time on turn around jump shots when their post player is still struggling to even catch the ball cleanly in the post.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It sounds a lot like the Cosby routine; "All children have brain damage". "I doh know."

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Can one empty an empty box? However, one can clean a Clean Room.
Not sure what that means- But it sounds very profound! You are an Enigma!

Reaction Score
Does that mean MoJet PRACTICES those shots? I mean, it's OK if you make 'em even if you don't practice 'em?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I appreciate obtuseness as much as anyone, but I'm amused that folks are unwilling to understand the purpose of practice...

Reaction Score
I appreciate obtuseness as much as anyone, but I'm amused that folks are unwilling to understand the purpose of practice...

one of the reasons that certain players are truly exceptional players is because they don't hesitate to work on things in a variety of settings, hopefully when there's little chance of affecting the outcome of the game. i'm amused that you're not aware that these players understand the term "practice" in broader terms. unfortunately, because geno shares your view , we probably won't see too much more of that from breanna.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does that mean MoJet PRACTICES those shots? I mean, it's OK if you make 'em even if you don't practice 'em?

yes, it would have been interesting to have seen geno's reaction, if any, if breanna had made those shots.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
truly elite players may be seen practicing things in a variety of settings.

As I say, I appreciate your deliberate obtuseness.

'Stewie do we practice those shots you are taking?' She said 'no. I said 'why are you taking them?'

Reaction Score

Interesting take from the coaches on Stewart in this all access video.... Why was she taking turn around jumpers in the lane when they never practice it? Because Breanna is going to do what Breanna does...

Reaction Score
As I say, I appreciate your deliberate obtuseness.

'Stewie do we practice those shots you are taking?' She said 'no. I said 'why are you taking them?'
for the truly obtuse no deliberation is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom