Geno protecting Saniya in the presser | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno protecting Saniya in the presser

Reaction Score
Nobody's nuts --

Geno said himself that it was "not in the plan" to go for the score with as much time left as there was. Guess I'll have to go back and listen again to confirm. My recollection is that he said you usually don't score on the initial attempt so you just want a *little* bit of time for a putback is all. Not so much time that the other team has the time that MSU did tonight.

So yes, in that sense Geno did say that he wanted the last shot.

Having said this, Saniya was trying to make a play and she obviously thought there was an opening. Geno wasn't criticizing her and neither am I. It's not like she threw a lazy cross court pass or dribbled it off her foot. She was trying to win the game--the "old" Saniya would never have had that confidence IMO. So it didn't work out but credit to Saniya and the strides she's made as a Husky.

Clearly he wanted the last shot. The issue is whether or not he properly emphasized the necessary tactics to the players during that last huddle. I sometimes feel like he takes it for granted that his players all know these things and do not need to be told. Heck, I remember hearing that during the Olympics, I'm and not sure whether it was 2012 or 2016, DT took him aside at one point and told him he needed to start drawing up and calling some specific plays, because he was wanting his players to just read and react to the defense most the time.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
My point was that the HBO crew was not in the huddle. What point are you trying to make? What makes you think I even mentioned what was said in the huddle?
Just a misunderstanding. It would be nice to eavesdrop on the final strategy. I thought HBO might have caught that moment, but I haven't been watching their series, so I don't know.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nobody's nuts --

Geno said himself that it was "not in the plan" to go for the score with as much time left as there was. Guess I'll have to go back and listen again to confirm. My recollection is that he said you usually don't score on the initial attempt so you just want a *little* bit of time for a putback is all. Not so much time that the other team has the time that MSU did tonight.

My recollection, at least from the press conference, is that it wasn't "Plan A."

Geno comported himself (yeah, I said it) with the same dignity and class that, as I recall, he has always comported himself after a defeat, even after the most painful ones. He kept his equanimity about him, and brings perspective to the situation like no one else can.

I also recall him saying this about Pat Summitt's classy conduct after one of the times UConn ended Tennessee's season: (paraphrasing roughly from old memory here) Some coaches never learn to how to win because they never learn how to lose. It might be one of Pat's greatest qualities that she might actually be at her best after her team loses. That has a lot to do with why they win so much.

It's nice to see that a lack of practice hasn't made Geno forget how to conduct oneself, and how to lead a team, amid the disappointment of defeat.

Reaction Score
But gabby had several turnovers in the last few possessions. She was exhausted. Have you ever seen anyone leave more on the court?
True. She was exhausted. What a warrior. Well, in retrospect we can say anything we want with 100% confidence, right. Who knows what the outcome would have been under other scenarios. I only mentioned one.

Reaction Score
But gabby had several turnovers in the last few possessions. She was exhausted. Have you ever seen anyone leave more on the court?

After the buzzer you can see she wanted to collapse to the floor but decided not to as the Miss St bench stormed the court. She was the best UCONN Huskie tonight. She should have no doubts that she tried her best. The miss FT's did hurt, and as a team they can always do more to improve but hats off to both teams on a great contest.

If UCONN had to lose, I was glad it was to Miss St as they and Vic were great this year. Congrats to them.

Reaction Score
My recollection, at least from the press conference, is that it wasn't "Plan A."

Geno comported himself (yeah, I said it) with the same dignity and class that, as I recall, he has always comported himself after a defeat, even after the most painful ones. He kept his equanimity about him, and brings perspective to the situation like no one else can.

I also recall him saying this about Pat Summitt's classy conduct after one of the times UConn ended Tennessee's season: (paraphrasing roughly from old memory here) Some coaches never learn to how to win because they never learn how to lose. It might be one of Pat's greatest qualities that she might actually be at her best after her team loses. That has a lot to do with why they win so much.

It's nice to see that a lack of practice hasn't made Geno forget how to conduct oneself, and how to lead a team, amid the disappointment of defeat.

Can't say it much better than that plebe. I get a kick out of reading the comments from our "experts" about why Geno is a "moron". Yes, a moron who this season took 5 and a half players and somehow miraculously almost won another championship. I'm glad Geno is our moron!!

Reaction Score
I cannot support all of the Saniya blame-game. Seven players played in this game. Seven player made many mistakes.
It is ridiculous to lay all the blame at SC's feet. I made a post highlighting weakness in another player's game. I was dang near jump on.
The game was lost because our team did not play well. We did not play our game and our offense went stagnant.
If you are going to start pointing out flaws/blame start a the top of the list and point them out.

• Geno--
  • NC--
  • KLS--
  • GW--
  • KN--
  • SC--
  • CD--
  • NB--
All of the blame-game nonsense is silly. These ladies play out of their minds this year.
They made a serious run for the title. They fell short.

The pressure, the moment etc raised the mirror to the face of our team and showed us what we were made of. Geno said that this team would be tested. Collectively we did not pass the test.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Did our coaches tell Saniya and her teammates to HOLD for the final shot under all circumstances? If not, why not?
If you recall, in the loss to Stanford, Geno told the players to hold the ball and run the clock, but Kia Stokes took a quick shot. Telling the players is no guarantee. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
If you recall, in the loss to Stanford, Geno told the players to hold the ball and run the clock, but Kia Stokes took a quick shot. Telling the players is no guarantee. Just sayin'.

Well there's telling them and then there's telling them. You don't just say, "Okay guys, hold for the last shot here." You have to be emphatic, explaining exactly what needs to happen, the tactics and reasoning behind it, and how critically important proper execution is in this situation. I would so love to know exactly what went down in that last huddle.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Well there's telling them and then there's telling them. You don't just say, "Okay guys, hold for the last shot here." You have to be emphatic, explaining exactly what needs to happen, the tactics and reasoning behind it, and how critically important proper execution is in this situation. I would so love to know exactly what went down in that last huddle.
Agreed. I think I read or heard on video that Geno or CD said that this knowledge (of letting the clock run down before taking the last shot) is part of their regular practice, but that is no excuse to not emphatically drive the point home in the huddle. If it wasn't, then that's on Geno. But even if he had, that is no guarantee that everyone will follow instructions. After all, it is human to err.:(

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did our coaches tell Saniya and her teammates to HOLD for the final shot under all circumstances? If not, why not?
Here's a quote from Geno:

And that's when Chong turned the corner off a screen at the foul line. There was still more than 12 seconds left on the game clock. She careened to the hoop off-balance and forced something, a shot that never elevated, an errant pass, something that went wildly out of bounds. The painful irony is, for much of the season, Chong led the nation in assists to turnover ratio.

"That wasn't Plan A," Auriemma said. "There's a kid trying to win the game. We go over that scenario a thousand times. It's the easiest thing to do. Look at the clock. Every day in practice we said, it's usually not the shot you take that makes it, it's the offensive rebound. We just want enough time for that.

"Saniya just tried to make a great play. God bless her. Just impatient a little bit, that's all
."

Reaction Score
Awful decision by Chong, that said I wish she was coming back next year. She will be missed

Reaction Score
Geno is the greatest basketball coach of all time, no question. But if he has an Achilles heel, it's coaching close games. I believe his record is unbelievably poor. I know the graphic said he is 0-4 in overtime games, now 0-5. Probably because UConn just doesn't play that many close games.
He does not get to coach many close games unfortunately (or fortunately) for experience purposes.

Reaction Score
Honestly , I am just appalled by everyone. Several times in the tourney players on different teams afraid to take " the big shot ". Here you have a player in control of the ball driving to the rim with 12 sec., trying to win the game . The defensive player not only is not set but is angled to the defender . Contact occurs landing both playrrs on the floor. NO CALL. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? I guess it's ok to swallow the whistle when it's " anyone but uconn " !

Reaction Score
You can always look back on different plays that might have "cost" you a game. A missed foul shot, breakdown on defense, a turnover. All I know is this team over achieved all year. The only regrets I have are that Tierney an Saniya didn't end their senior season with a NC but their 4 year won/lost record and full participation in a 111 game winning streak is an achievement they can be proud of.

Reaction Score
You can always look back on different plays that might have "cost" you a game. A missed foul shot, breakdown on defense, a turnover. All I know is this team over achieved all year. The only regrets I have are that Tierney an Saniya didn't end their senior season with a NC but their 4 year won/lost record and full participation in a 111 game winning streak is an achievement they can be proud of.

One of the best quotes from Geno last night was made in reference to these last two plays (going by memory so I'm paraphrasing): "One play rarely costs you a game. But one play can win you a game."

Reaction Score
Soniya was definitely pressing in the second half, trying to do things she normally doesn't do. That last play was a poor decision and started too early in the clock. That said, the game was lost due to missed free throws and missed layups around the basket. Napheesa played tight all game and our offense which normally runs through her was stagnant. Mississippi State deserves the credit but with a little more poise we could have won this game. These young women deserve a lot of credit for a great season and should be congratulated.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

A little late to be asking that quesion, no? Since you already charged Geno with the blame two posts ago.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
From the presser, Geno implied that he DOESN'T like to hold for the final shot. He said something to to effect that he doesn't believe a last second shot wins games, but he wanted time for a rebound or a second attempt. Well, he found out that a last second shot can win a game.

I think most coaches would prefer to leave a couple of seconds after the "last" shot attempt for possible tip in or rebound and second shot. But that's it: just a couple of seconds, not more than that.

Reaction Score
I see it like some of you others do, she thought she had a lane. If it was an easy layup, that puts all the pressure on MSU to make a basket or lose. Holding for the last shot is not the right strategy if there is an easy bucket. It was simply a judgement error by a player in a pressure filled game trying to make a play. At least she was trying to make a play.

Reaction Score
He should. He IMO deserves the blame.

I am not happy at all that Chong has this on her forever. It's a damn shame and should never had happened.

This is not the first time a UConn player did not understand time and score in a tight NCAA Final 4 game. Thinking back to Bria Hartley racing up the Denver court with the shot clock off and turning it over.

Every UConn player should know in a tied game that you always hold for the final shot at the buzzer so the worst you get is Double OT. It's basic stuff. This is not a mistake that should be happening.
You are 100% right and totally wrong. How many times have you seen even great players come up with a brain hiccup in a tight game. It happens. I don't know why and it shouldn't but it does. The minute the ball was in bounded I told my daughter " I don't like this - get the ball to the best playmaker..". Gino could have done better but then again there is no cure to being human other repeated exposure and mastery of fear. They had fear and fear beat them finally but it took 111 game winning streak and and a final four all or nothing moment to break them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
And let's give credit to that defender, who was none other than Morgan William. In an instant that open lane was closed, and Saniya didn't recognize the closure quickly enough. That was emblematic of the defensive play that has carried MSU this far and won them this game.
It was this exactly. You could see that Chong saw the opening and immediately went for the basket. It was move I'd hope any of our players would have made, no matter what time was left. She had a step on the defender, the whole MSU team seemed to be on the side guarding the inbound still and she found what looked like an open lane to the basket. Plus, all of MSU's bigs were away from the basket so it looked like an easy lay up. It was just an amazing job by Williams to get over and recover in defense as quick as she did because Chong had her beat originally. By the time she realized her path to the basket was blocked she was too far into her drive to stop. She was out of control, and if anything, was lucky to not get called for a charge.

I agree that it would have been nice to wait longer on the clock but you don't give up what seemed to be an easy lane for the go ahead basket just so you can run more time off the clock.

Also, remember how much we struggled making any baskets in OT and most of the 4th quarter and how we couldn't get an Offensive rebound to save our life. With all that in mind, it was a no brainer that she'd take that open lane and go for the easy layup and the win.

I know that many won't see the realistic viewpoint of the situation and will instead blame Chong for shooting too early and not holding for a last second shot, but I hope she can get over it and know she made the right play.

Congrats to this team for playing as well as they did all season. They surpassed many expectations and were awesome. Miss St just played the better game and had the better game plan last night.

Reaction Score
She'll remember that last play, but overall she's got nothing to be ashamed about. She's had a great year, and who knows - maybe UConn would have lost already against someone in the season if not for her.

This year she had a knack for contributing when her team needed it the most, and I'd argue that until that last play, she was doing that this game as well.

When Saniya started that drive, the camera angle said it was open. Cat-/quick Morgan closed the gap and Saniya tried to split the defenders, avoiding enough bodies to rule out a foul. She has had the knack to get to the rim in a hurry, but not this time. Thinking maybe to drive in the final nail. This year she contributed significant points and passes in critical moments. A good senior year. Thanks, Saniya.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Geno handled the press conference perfectly in regards to Soniya's drive.

That being said, even if you practice those last possession plays in practice, it needs to be mentioned again in the huddle when (more or less) a shot should be attempted. I'm very surprised she was the one who had the ball in her hands in that situation; don't think Geno confirmed that the play was designed for her, but perhaps I missed that. Miss. State is a very good defensive team, so I'm surprised that driving to the basket against them in that situation would have been the called play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom