Geno: Paige Bueckers should be able to enter WNBA draft, but staying helps her 'build a brand' | The Boneyard

Geno: Paige Bueckers should be able to enter WNBA draft, but staying helps her 'build a brand'

Reaction Score
SAN ANTONIO -- UConn coach Geno Auriemma said he would support a one-and-done environment in women's college basketball, saying that student-athletes like his freshman star, Paige Bueckers, "should have choices to how they want to live their lives and how they want to take control of their own lives."

Draft-entry restrictions are part of the WNBA's current collective bargaining agreement. Unlike in the men's game, in which players can turn pro after one season, most women's players are not eligible for the WNBA draft until after their fourth year in college. There are some exceptions for juniors: if they have been in school for four years, if they turn 22 during the year of the draft, or if they graduate within three months of the draft.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is desperate for a new marketable star and is desperate for Paige to enter.
They are going to change the rules to get her early.

Reaction Score
I think this is the best ever Geno praising about a freshman. Cannot wait what he will say about Azzi next year ...:)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The WNBA is desperate for a new marketable star and is desperate for Paige to enter.
I think Sabrina could be that 'it' player. Before her injury, she was becoming a superstar. But I guess, she would be limited being on the limited Liberty.

Reaction Score
I gotta believe all other opposing coaches would be "highly" in favor if the WNBA had a "1-and-Done" in place right about now. Geno grudgingly has to say it but deep down I have to believe he would like to hold on to Paige as long as possible.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I gotta believe all other opposing coaches would be "highly" in favor if the WNBA had a "1-and-Done" in place right about now. Geno grudgingly has to say it but deep down I have to believe he would like to hold on to Paige as long as possible.
Geno also said he is in favor of NIL so staying at STORRS but being able to monetize her worth would be the best of both worlds although he of course was not looking forward to dealing with student agents.

Reaction Score
SAN ANTONIO -- UConn coach Geno Auriemma said he would support a one-and-done environment in women's college basketball, saying that student-athletes like his freshman star, Paige Bueckers, "should have choices to how they want to live their lives and how they want to take control of their own lives."

Draft-entry restrictions are part of the WNBA's current collective bargaining agreement. Unlike in the men's game, in which players can turn pro after one season, most women's players are not eligible for the WNBA draft until after their fourth year in college. There are some exceptions for juniors: if they have been in school for four years, if they turn 22 during the year of the draft, or if they graduate within three months of the draft.

Not to mention that she has a paid for college scholarship. That's not nothing. Meanwhile, if she left and went to the WNBA, there is a veteran player in the league that is out of a job while Paige doesn't bother utilizing that scholarship

Reaction Score

If Page does the smart thing she'll continue with her once in a lifetime college life. Nothing the WNBA offers can replace what she has at this moment or can have
in the three years left of her college experience.

Reaction Score
Geno compared the backgrounds of Jalen and Paige, very similar. Jalen is going to make millions and millions and Paige is going back to UCONN. Just a small point, the WNBA doesn't pay millions and millions. Plus a pro's career is relatively short (Sue and DT being outliers). Nice to have that college degree to assist in getting a job when it's all over.

Reaction Score
If Page does the smart thing she'll continue with her once in a lifetime college life. Nothing the WNBA offers can replace what she has at this moment or can have
...maybe 4 more years.

Reaction Score
I disagree with Geno. How many 4th year all Americans can’t even make a WNBA roster. 1st round picks can’t make a roster. There was a girl from SC just a few years ago, as a top pick, that didn’t even make it through camp. It’s not that Paige isn’t WNBA ready, it’s the 10 other girls that think they are. You can’t dilute Women’s college basketball of its top talent and expect it to keep growing. Following the model of the men’s game is suicide for women’s college basketball and the WNBA. For every inexperienced 19 year old that you keep on your WNBA roster based on her potential, you have to let go an experienced veteran. Foreign leagues generally are only looking for “ready to play” Americans.
Plus, the WNBA doesn’t really pay well enough to give up your education. I don’t profess to know what the answer is but i know what’s not going to work and is doomed to failure.
the men’s ratings are way down and I think will continue to fall. I’ll watch Gonzaga or Villanova sometimes, because their players stay around long enough for me to learn their names.
my last thought on this is, I think USA basketball should get involved. They should start a commission and submit recommendations for what is best for the game of basketball and the players involved.

Reaction Score
Maybe if they could start making a little money while in college it would make jumping to the pros early less attractive. In fact I think that a college player would find that to be the optimal solution. As they find out once they get to the WNBA, things are different in the pros, but that's the tradeoff they have to make that allows them to start earning money to play their sport. It's true some players would still go to the pros as soon as possible because they just don't want to be in college, but I think a lot of them do like the college experience and would stay all four years if a compromise on getting paid could be reached.

Reaction Score
The thing is, there isn’t really an incentive for Paige to leave early. So she can have a roommate in a crappy hotel, fly in a crowded plane, be on tv and sports center half as much, lose twice as much, have a worse coach, and make 50,000 a year.

sure, she should have the choice...but why on earth would she make that choice?

building her brand is the most important thing she can do right now - because her popularity will drop significantly once she leaves UConn.
I hope they change the rules on “likeness” in college soon, so players can make money and Paige can learn how to best utilize her social media for that purpose..because that’s where her money is going to be made in her career.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Think of those athletes who come from poor families. Think of Charde Houston, whose mother was living in her car. I believe a Rutgers girl left early because she needed the money. (The one who scored 113 points in a H.S. game, can't remember her name.) It all depends on your circumstances.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird. She said two things on her USA call.
1) The WNBA was meeting to discuss eligibility rules.
2) PB would be a #1 Pick

Not hard to figure out.
Ok.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this is the best ever Geno praising about a freshman. Cannot wait what he will say about Azzi next year ...:)
What is it about everyone pivoting to someone who isn't even here yet?

Reaction Score

One of the reasons I don’t follow the men’s game is “one and done.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige and Caitlyn's response when asked by Doug Feinberg. Title seems a bit misleading in Paige's case the common theme is having the choice.

"I'm a believer in living in the now and right now I don't have that choice," said Bueckers, the UConn phenom and former Hopkins High School star who was honored Wednesday as the first freshman to be named The Associated Press women's basketball player of the year. "I'm focused on college right now. In the future, I feel like that option for future college students might be there."

Clark, who led the NCAA in scoring this season and was second in assists, feels that the women's players should be allowed to turn pro after their freshman year, like the men can.

"Boys have it, so why can't the women's game have it as well?" the Iowa freshman said. "It's not something I've thought about a lot since it's never been something for women."

Reaction Score

I think it is ridiculous for anyone to start talking about these young freshman going pro. Let them mature and grow before talking about them going Pro. I know allot of fools like bringing it up but im surprised to hear Geno mention that too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom