Geno On Under-Officiated" Paige: Daniel Connolly | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno On Under-Officiated" Paige: Daniel Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see that same energy from Geno, directed Aaliyah Edwards way. She absolutely gets mugged throughout the game often leading to no calls or fouls against her. Aaliyah, collecting fouls against the other teams bigs are far more important than Paige.

Reaction Score
I didn't listen to the pod, but the article specifically mentions Paige not getting to the free throw line as much as the others. Getting bumped off your cut doesn't get you to the free throw line unless you're in the bonus which most of the time you are not, and thus wouldn't be much help in explaining a statistical anomaly. TBH I worry more about Aaliyah. Some of the stuff that goes on in the low post almost resembles what you'd see in a WWE match, and she takes the most physical battering of anyone. Fortunately for us those Canadian kids are tuff.
Agree. Aaliyah has been on the floor due to contact as much in this season as previous three combined.

Reaction Score
As I reflected on the game I believe it was won because Citron could effectively jump the pick and prevent Paige from getting more open for her outside shot or cut to the basket. The opposite was on our defense on Hildago where we didn't get inside her pick and she either breezed by the big who would have had to switch or her choice for an open jumper. Ivey prepared Citron to defeat our big pick and guard option better than we did. Other Coaches will use this film to teach their defenders. What do others think?
We played defense against Hidalgo?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As a player I would not be enamored of my coach politicking for foul calls, since it may actually encourage more of that court behavior.

Reaction Score
Actually this is precisely one of the things I had in mind when I said their defense on Paige was good. I have to respectfully disagree with the above comment that Paige was "off" without giving credit to the defense. We know Paige doesn't have off days very often. It usually takes a great defensive effort to slow her down and I think that's what happened here. She was off because they made her off.

I was watching Paige closely on offense waiting for her to work her magic, but it looked like she had a shadow out there. Citron is a disciplined defender, possessing the awareness to jump screens and smother her man without fouling. Then if Paige did manage to shake Citron for 2 seconds, someone else was waiting. Their team defensive gameplan on Paige was very well executed.

When a player spends that much time just struggling to even get open, it becomes hard to hunt shots and as fatigue mounts, it becomes impossible to take over the game, which is what Hidalgo was allowed to do instead because of the defensive lapses you mentioned.
It reminded me of how Ari McDonald from Arizona played Paige in the final 4 of her freshmen year.
South Carolina and some Big East teams I call the mugging defense, hold, grab, and bump. Paige still needs to get stronger especially when she plays in the WNBA. I think Clark has been getting stronger than Paige which helps her stay on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom