Geno on the missed dunks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on the missed dunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I "get" Geno's humor. I can honestly say that the best times and experiences I have had both personally and in the work place are with people who make seemingly belittling comments to me and about me. It is all meant in affectionate good humor and believe it or not, I have come to understand that people who do this are showing they are comfortable in our personal or work relationship, and it is in fact a weird kind of respect. These people would never dream of saying these things if I didn't know that they like and respect me, and know that I will take the comments in the teasing, affectionate spirit they are intended. I have seen them deal with other people who they do not have the same level of comfort and respect - and they are strictly business.

What fans of other teams, and even some UConn fans, don't understand is that as long as Geno is teasing you, you are in a good place. When he doesn't act like a goofball and make flippant remarks to and about you...that's when you need to worry.
The guys at my coffee catch in the morning would think I was sick if I did not pick on them or let them pick on me. I even pick on parishioners and they know it's my way of showing I understand them and what makes them tick and that I understand we all are lovable despite our flaws.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The guys at my coffee catch in the morning would think I was sick if I did not pick on them or let them pick on me. I even pick on parishioners and they know it's my way of showing I understand them and what makes them tick and that I understand we all are lovable despite our flaws.
You're alive! :)

Reaction Score
She played hockey until junior high when there wasn't a girls team. As I've said before Lindsay Whalen is the only player I've ever seen who plays basketball like a hockey player. In women's basketball you can usually separate out the former soccer players from the former volleyball players very easily by just watching how they move on the court. Lindsay moves exactly like a hockey player and she uses the space on the court exactly like a hockey player, particularly the space behind the basket. She runs a fast break like a hockey player rushing the net. And the way she sees the floor to pass and to cut is like a hockey player. She's one of my favorite players because of this distinct style of play.
Maya has a way with words. I bet Lindsay played hockey as a youth in Minnesota.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She played hockey until junior high when there wasn't a girls team. As I've said before Lindsay Whalen is the only player I've ever seen who plays basketball like a hockey player. In women's basketball you can usually separate out the former soccer players from the former volleyball players very easily by just watching how they move on the court. Lindsay moves exactly like a hockey player and she uses the space on the court exactly like a hockey player, particularly the space behind the basket. She runs a fast break like a hockey player rushing the net. And the way she sees the floor to pass and to cut is like a hockey player. She's one of my favorite players because of this distinct style of play.
On the fast break, I love the long passes from the blue line.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Her spin moves are very much like a defenseman reversing position after charging back into position to front an opponent.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I "get" Geno's humor. I can honestly say that the best times and experiences I have had both personally and in the work place are with people who make seemingly belittling comments to me and about me. It is all meant in affectionate good humor and believe it or not, I have come to understand that people who do this are showing they are comfortable in our personal or work relationship, and it is in fact a weird kind of respect. These people would never dream of saying these things if I didn't know that they like and respect me, and know that I will take the comments in the teasing, affectionate spirit they are intended. I have seen them deal with other people who they do not have the same level of comfort and respect - and they are strictly business.

What fans of other teams, and even some UConn fans, don't understand is that as long as Geno is teasing you, you are in a good place. When he doesn't act like a goofball and make flippant remarks to and about you...that's when you need to worry.
OK - I have to say it. I "get" Geno and his humor, I realize how he means many things that get taken wrong, etc. NEVER-THE-LESS, whether I get it or not, I have been extremely hurt by remarks made to and about me over the years by folks with similar external personalities as Geno's. The fact that I intellectually understood the person making the remarks did not diminish - for me - the fact that they hurt my feelings.

That is why I have long said that I do not think Geno is a "bad" guy, I think he is a great coach, I know he has done wonderful charitable things and is beloved by almost all his former players, BUT, I will never "like" his outward personality. I will never instinctivly like someone that I meet personally with that sort of personality, either. They might be able to win me over, but in general, it just isn't a personality type I care for.

No one who reads my posts will ever think other than the truth, that I respect Geno as a coach and his accomplishments on and off the court, and am no Geno "hater", but I can go no further to the point of using the word like.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
OK - I have to say it. I "get" Geno and his humor, I realize how he means many things that get taken wrong, etc. NEVER-THE-LESS, whether I get it or not, I have been extremely hurt by remarks made to and about me over the years by folks with similar external personalities as Geno's. The fact that I intellectually understood the person making the remarks did not diminish - for me - the fact that they hurt my feelings.

That is why I have long said that I do not think Geno is a "bad" guy, I think he is a great coach, I know he has done wonderful charitable things and is beloved by almost all his former players, BUT, I will never "like" his outward personality. I will never instinctivly like someone that I meet personally with that sort of personality, either. They might be able to win me over, but in general, it just isn't a personality type I care for.

No one who reads my posts will ever think other than the truth, that I respect Geno as a coach and his accomplishments on and off the court, and am no Geno "hater", but I can go no further to the point of using the word like.
I think that's completely understandable. I also think we all have certain personality types that we feel less comfortable with, and of course others that we like.. And we don't really have a lot of control over this because it is a function of our own personality type.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

First of all, if you're from New Jersey, I'm not surprised you "get" the attitude from nearby Philly. Folks from NJ aren't all that different.

Secondly, what you're feeling about Geno's projected personality is what he intends, although it's not something he does consciously. He spoke at length about his Philly attitude and where it comes from a while back. He said that where he grew up, you learned sarcasm and insults as a way to insulate yourself from whatever the other guy was about to do to you, as a form of protection. Now project that attitude onto a 7 year old kid that's just moved here from Italy and was thrown into school without knowing how to speak English. The defensive posture would be even more necessary.

Maybe knowing why he's such a sarcastic SOB with deprecating humor doesn't make the hurt from his remarks go away, at least it's possible to understand why he makes them.

Reaction Score
First of all, if you're from New Jersey, I'm not surprised you "get" the attitude from nearby Philly. Folks from NJ aren't all that different.

Secondly, what you're feeling about Geno's projected personality is what he intends, although it's not something he does consciously. He spoke at length about his Philly attitude and where it comes from a while back. He said that where he grew up, you learned sarcasm and insults as a way to insulate yourself from whatever the other guy was about to do to you, as a form of protection. Now project that attitude onto a 7 year old kid that's just moved here from Italy and was thrown into school without knowing how to speak English. The defensive posture would be even more necessary.

Maybe knowing why he's such a sarcastic SOB with deprecating humor doesn't make the hurt from his remarks go away, at least it's possible to understand why he makes them.

I grew up in Astoria, Queens...same steady diet of sarcasm and insults that is seldom serious except as a form of verbal combat. I moved to Dallas, Texas when I was 10, and soon learned that people take what you say rather seriously there...something they are wont to demonstrate more physically than verbally...broke me of most of my bad habits (alas, not all), and I lost the endearing accent as a bonus!

I learned to blend in...however, one old Texan accused me of not saying Yankee Qu**r quite right...practice, practice! ;)

Geno wouldn't bother me...but I know how much he can irritate people that don't have his background...sometimes a lot more than he intends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom