Geno, on Paige | The Boneyard

Geno, on Paige

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
E60FAB4C-2712-4FCB-A5AB-C5D408F0FDB1.jpeg

Reaction Score
There's truth in the above, including to be "famous for being famous". That is CC this year. The media has already anointed her as a foregone conclusion. IMO, CC deserves it. Unless of course Paige puts the team on her back (with help) and brings home an NC.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also Geno on Paige:

Auriemma described the Bueckers, who was the No. 1 high school recruit in the nation out of Hopkins High School in Minnesota, he watched back then.

“The first time I saw Paige play, she played like a minute and a half at a time because she was hyperventilating or something,” said Auriemma of Bueckers, now a two-time All-American.

“She weighed about 90 pounds and she would go 100 miles an hour. She was like the proverbial balloon, you know. When you let it out, it just (whirring noise) and then just falls to the ground. That’s how she played. And then she’d run over to the bench (panting). And then come back out, do something crazy, and go back to the bench.

“I remember saying to (former UConn assistant coach) Marisa Moseley, who was with me, ‘Seriously? This is the best player in the country? You’ve got to be kidding me. The kid can’t stay on the court.’”

And yet Auriemma knew that Bueckers had something about her.

“She just sees the game the way only great players can see the game,” Auriemma said. “You know, coach Bob Knight said this a long time ago, ‘You can always teach a player to look, but you can’t teach them to see. She knows before she even looks what she needs to see. And she sees it quicker than anybody else.

“And then she has the God-given talent to pull it off. ... Yeah. She’s good. Thank God.”

Subscription needed.

Reaction Score
If you could only see Paige or CC play one game then I would go and see CC. If I was building a team and needed the best player to round out an already decent team then I would go with Paige. Both will forever change the WNBA in a good way but in the end Paige just can do what CC does without having to shoot 20-25 times in a game.

Reaction Score
Look at Paige's numbers from her last game. 28 points, 11 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 0 turnovers, 0 fouls, and shooting 58% from the floor. Hard to imagine a player contributing more, and more efficiently, to her team. She is a remarkable player. What can't she do, and do well?

Reaction Score
I like the fact that Geno keeps on harping that Paige is treated differently by the officials. As a superstar player, they are normally accommodated "special" treatment or receiving the benefit of the doubt. Unlike some other star players, Paige doesn't seem to get many free throw attempts. In the past, she relied more on her pull-up jumper, but his season, she isn't shying away from contact, yet there are plenty of instances where a foul occurred, but wasn't called.

Going forward, I hope Geno's comments are taken to heart, or at least, remain in the back of the officials' minds.

On another note, is it me or does Cameron Brink seem to be called for at least one or two ticky-tacky fouls every game?

Reaction Score
If you could only see Paige or CC play one game then I would go and see CC. If I was building a team and needed the best player to round out an already decent team then I would go with Paige. Both will forever change the WNBA in a good way but in the end Paige just can do what CC does without having to shoot 20-25 times in a game.
WNBA will not change its way because of these two great players joining its rank. There have been great players ,and there will be more after these two stars .

Reaction Score
Paige improved her BB IQ by closely observing the game when she was out for the entire year and partial year earlier. She was like a coach on the bench and she constantly gave insights and she saw the game even slower than usual. I wonder sometimes if the 6 injured players watch the game as closely and intelligently as they should. Paige talks to most players, but only some absorb the info. Ash is very similar to Paige. She knows the game and is learning constantly.
Usually UConn players add one dimension to their game each year. Paige added blocking shots and rebounding. Ash has added a few dimensions this year alone. Back cuts, steals, rebounds, and defense have improved for her. Paige's value is exponentially more off the court and in the huddles.

Reaction Score
I am very fond of Geno, but Paige is not the best player in America. He's starting to revert back to his old tricks like he did when jabbing Pat Summitt...He's trying to start a fuss as we say down south....

Caitlin #1, Paige #2, Brink #3, Cardoso #4......IMO

I'm going to throw a little jab myself in here for kicks and giggles... Paige + Brink + Cardoso put together will not generate the TV views that Caitlin will alone.

I'm hoping for a final 4 of Carolina, IOWA, UCONN and Texas....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I am very fond of Geno, but Paige is not the best player in America. He's starting to revert back to his old tricks like he did when jabbing Pat Summitt...He's trying to start a fuss as we say down south....

I'm going to throw a little jab myself in here for kicks and giggles... Paige + Brink + Cardoso put together will not generate the TV views that Caitlin will alone.

Stating that Bueckers is the best player isn't a trick. You might not agree with it, but there are ample reasons to suggest it's the case.

Reaction Score

Cardoso isn’t going to be pleased that you’ve demoted her to #4 since Mar. 19 when you insinuated that she was #1 in post #16 of the Washington Post picks UConn to win it all thread.

Reaction Score

So Geno was only off by one spot in ranking Paige? Then his statement seems fair unless you are saying Clark is so much better that it's ridiculous to think it can be subjective.

Reaction Score

I do agree that the long threes are fun to watch and attracts many new fans. I think Paige is a better basketball player And wasn’t Pat the one to “start a fuss” not Geno?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the post-game presser
Geno spoke about Paige being the best player in the country...he said:

Just saying that because the numbers
In this world of analytics...(that we live in?)
Say that she is
And the whole stat sheet says that she is
And everyone that watched…knows it.

The two are really quite different in their outlook, strengths and contributions.

CC takes and makes outrageously long 3's...perhaps the only player, male or female that has that shot in their everyday arsenal excepting Curry.
And her assist totals are pretty crazy as well.

Paige is far, far more efficient...and of late has been more reliant on her game inside the arc...virtually unstoppable...with super high efficiency (well, maybe not last night...merely efficient (over 50%).

But the rebounds, blocks and stealsthatr Paige produces on the other end put her into a unique status...a major scorer and floor general who leads in defense as well.

And her overall generalship and understanding of the unfolding of the game seems unique...Quite as unique as CC's three's from the other side of the world.

Prediction: Iowa's road to the final-4 remains fraught;
tough, tough games...If they falter...and UConn survives...Those decision makers are going to have a tough time ...and some minds could change...

Not likely, but not impossible.

Reaction Score

There are many great players in today’s WCBB, but I believe Paige is the best all-around player, and I’m not diminishing the other players‘ impact on their respective teams. Caitlin Clark is special, and everyone’s overjoyed at her Logo-3, and scoring ability. She’s good, and she deserves the accolades. But, in this case, I honestly feel that Geno is promoting his best player, and that’s his job. Dawn Staley rightfully did that for Aaliyah Boston, and she will do that for Milaysia Fulwiley in the future.
All in all, I am just happy to see these players execute their talents. Best wishes to all of them, except when they play UConn.

Reaction Score
It's early and I haven't had my coffee. Saw "Auriemma throws shade" and my first thought was "oh crap, what did Ashlynn do to piss him off this time.... " :p

Not sure what a C-RAM is, but breaking down total contributions and efficiency by player is a more subjective way to evaluate players across a common set of criteria. Small sample size. Would be interesting to see that over a longer period of time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom