Geno on each 2023 recruit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on each 2023 recruit

Reaction Score
And as for so call " killing their confidence " you have to have confidence, confidence in yourself and the coaches a lot of high school stars get a big dose of reality whn they enter college and go up against players tht are bigger, quicker and more athletic thn the players tht they're used to dominating in high school
And they realize that doing it their way suddenly is not working. Once they start doing things they way the coaches want them to play they can start growing as players and the confidence come back.

Reaction Score
We do this dance every single season, and more freshman than not end up more notable for their cheerleading skills than anything they do on the court in their first college season. Short of a Paige or Stewie showing up in Storrs in two months when summer workouts begin, I expect that trend to continue.
or first two college seasons, for that matter

Reaction Score
or first two college seasons, for that matter
What about Maya? I know and agree that your point is it very rarely happens ... just wanted to mention my favorite UConn player ever ....

Reaction Score
Unless UCONN has injuries no player from this class will be starting next season. If they are really good they might get minutes but both guards are under sized so they would have to replace the point, who was the 2 time defensive player of the year in the conference and holds the season record for assists at the most storied program in NCAAW history.

I say this understanding they are great players, but all players at UCONN are great players. The spot open right now is the replacement for Dorka and that will not be a player that is not 6'2 or better. These players coming in will join the best guard group in the country and they know they will be there to learn next year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We do this dance every single season, and more freshman than not end up more notable for their cheerleading skills than anything they do on the court in their first college season. Short of a Paige or Stewie showing up in Storrs in two months when summer workouts begin, I expect that trend to continue.
url.gif

Reaction Score
Tina was the Nat’l Freshman of the Year.

Maybe but she did not come to campus ready and her sophomore year, Geno said they had no low post players

Reaction Score
Jana is a bit underrated here IMHO. She is strong, skilled and has a great amount of experience in high level basketball. She also has had a semester of practicing with the team to understand the system and what will be expected of her.
I’m excited to watch her development next year. I think she brings some qualities that UConn hasn’t had in a long time, maybe not since the Stewie era.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let see ...
Their was that other positionless player from the midwest, Kelly someone who did pretty well for Uconn as a freshman. And that NYer whose hair went Purple after she left for the WNBA, and that sharpshooter from Cal, named after an airline or something that was OK as a freshman, and that PG that came in one year named after a British general I think, and that other one that we never could figure out her height. Then the pair that came in together, and when one went down the other replaced her, one was sweet and the other was a jewel! Then there was a car from up north, and the one that didn't go to Stanford and her running mate that was translated as Precious. And if we go back far enough there was that freshman bum who went like 0-12 in a FF game.

Yeah, freshmen never contribute to Uconn teams.

It is a nice and varied group coming in next year, and if we are healthy we should be a favorite for returning to the FF. Hard to say whether the freshmen will contribute, but the hope is they will give useful minutes and reduce the wear on the starters. If the starters are able to average 20-25 minutes and be more aggressive because they aren't worried about fouls, the team will be better. That might happen if all the returning players are healthy, but it will definitely happen if the freshman learn quickly.

With the European trip this summer, it should give everyone a jump start on the process.

Reaction Score
And so it begins. The over optimism that the shiny new freshmen are going to come in and take over. And then the wailing and gnashing of teeth when they play like, well, freshmen. ;)

I say we at least let them get to campus before we get too excited.
I have HOPES! You are correct the HYPE --over statement of abilities/qualities of newbees abound this time of the year. High School Quality doesn't always translate into College success. Yet, these are building blocks some fit, some don't. Some shall glow, some shall fade. But from now to November this is all we have. I was reluctant to Cheer LOU before she arrived--now I'm going to miss her scoring big time.
Paige, Nika, Azzi not Point Guards??. I could make a case for Paige and Azzi not TRUE PG;s--but where you would you put Nika--team wrestler?

Reaction Score
Let see ...
Their was that other positionless player from the midwest, Kelly someone who did pretty well for Uconn as a freshman. And that NYer whose hair went Purple after she left for the WNBA, and that sharpshooter from Cal, named after an airline or something that was OK as a freshman, and that PG that came in one year named after a British general I think, and that other one that we never could figure out her height. Then the pair that came in together, and when one went down the other replaced her, one was sweet and the other was a jewel! Then there was a car from up north, and the one that didn't go to Stanford and her running mate that was translated as Precious. And if we go back far enough there was that freshman bum who went like 0-12 in a FF game.

Yeah, freshmen never contribute to Uconn teams.

It is a nice and varied group coming in next year, and if we are healthy we should be a favorite for returning to the FF. Hard to say whether the freshmen will contribute, but the hope is they will give useful minutes and reduce the wear on the starters. If the starters are able to average 20-25 minutes and be more aggressive because they aren't worried about fouls, the team will be better. That might happen if all the returning players are healthy, but it will definitely happen if the freshman learn quickly.

With the European trip this summer, it should give everyone a jump start on the process.
Uconn has had many "positionless" players over the years, I'd go so far as saying the team of Swin, Asia, Tamika, Sue, DT, Shea each could play 4 of 5 positions. Dolson, was a kid from a smaller (not well known) high school, up state NY--what kind of players come out of there. Taking on Griner as a freshman built Steff into a pretty confident player, Precious, was Precious and a ONE play still lingers in my brain--She jumped (was it 30 feet) into the air and snagged a high intercept.
I know 99 out of 100 Boneyard UCW fans love Kelly. She too had a Daddy that coached. I don't hate her, but she never lived up to the ballyhoo coming in. Even Geno, at the time lamented her ONE good,, better, great game--and she never repeated it Head to head with ND nemesis she lost. . My opinion and i"m stuck with it. Samuelson, lived up to the hype for 4 years. Stewies, has proven, of her class, she was the real Jewell. And Steff could be called Precious, she and Stokes made a precious dou-o.
The proof that super Stars fade, some forever, some after a flash start, then 3 months of nothing, glow for the next 20 years. is in the above.
All comets burn out, eventually.

Reaction Score
What about Maya? I know and agree that your point is it very rarely happens ... just wanted to mention my favorite UConn player ever ....
To me, if she never used a basketball--she'd get my vote --as Uconn's WCBB greatest Women "Person"--nice, dedicated to fairness, decency--yes, I really really RESPECT Maya.

Reaction Score
SMH. Paige can play several positions, but to sy she is not a true PG boggles my mind. To say she can't push the ball up the court boggles my mind even more. Did you see her play at all her freshman year?
Every game. She is a shooting guard, period.

Reaction Score
I think many expect more from our freshmen in terms of playing time than is realistic. They probably believe that because they see plenty of talent and skill in these players, I get that. Geno, however, has a track record of using more short rotations than long ones. He should have 7 returning proven players. Do I think he will use more than that? Yes, but he wouldn't have to. If everybody was healthy, he could barely cover the available minutes with those 7, so the question for any newcomer is not just are they good players, but whose minutes would you reduce to give them playing time.

Now I am very much in the camp for a big rotation, players being able to go all out all the time, and not having to fear foul trouble as much as with a very limited rotation. Remember this year Geno had one #15 recruit that he only used if he had to, even with her being in her second season. He had another #5 recruit that was in the rotation for much of the season, but had a few games when he wasn't, or wasn't used in the first or second half of a game. If Geno thought the difference in the level of play was significant, he would rather have a tired player, saving energy here and there, and having to be conservative on defense due to potential foul issues, than use a fresh lesser player.

So IMO there is a possible path to the rotation for everyone in this class, but also the possibility that none of them will be in it, although I think that is pretty unlikely. The chances and opportunity for Jana for example, are probably much higher than for KK or Ashlynn and it has nothing to do with who is the better player. There are no proven C types returning. Both Jana and Ice are candidates if not to start to at least be a backup there. I would like to see one of those two start, and the other be the principle backup, and keep Aaliyah at her natural position.

Although very unlikely, one possible way that neither of the big newcomers gets rotation time would be if Geno went smallball with Aaliyah at the 5, Aubrey at the 4, and used Caroline at the 4 for backup minutes, including some time with Aubrey at the 5, but if Aaliyah plays mostly the 5, we most probably have to add Ayanna, Ice or Jana to the mix, and yes I am not including Ayanna as one of the 7 locks to be in the rotation. She was barely in this year, and next year Aubrey would appear to be next on the depth chart behind Aaliyah since the additions and return to health in the backcourt will allow here to be available the play more minutes at the 4. In addition Ayanna faces possible competition from Ice and Jana who may be needed more at the 5 but can both play the 4.

KK and Ashlynn may make Geno play them, and they probably get some injury opportunities, but if healthy, who do you take out to play them. With the 5 perimeter options (including Aubrey some here), you could have Nika and Paige cover all of the minutes at the 1, Azzi, Paige and Caroline handle all of the 2 minutes, and Paige, Caroline and Aubrey play all of the 3 minutes. You could bring Caroline or Aubrey in for any of the other players, if for Nika you just move to the point. So if everyone is healthy whose minutes get reduced for one of the newcomers? Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Aubrey? The point is it is a high bar, and Geno could stick with those 5 on the perimeter.

Any injury of course opens up opportunities, and I am hoping that Geno reaches the conclusion that KK and Ashlynn are close enough to some of the 5 ahead of them, that replacing a tired player with one almost as good is a good thing, and that confidence in an expanded roster will enable a quicker pace and more pressing. I think there is also an opportunity for some limited time because Aubrey may become a sub at the 3 and 4, and will not be available all the time to help out on the perimeter. Lots of time would open up for KK or Ashlynn if the newcomers upfront were not ready and Geno had to start Aaliyah at the 5 and Aubrey at the 4.

As for Q, I think it will be a learning year because she has many candidates ahead of her, but the just mentioned possibility of starting Aaliyah and Aubrey upfront would open up a chance for her to get some minutes at the 3

I don't think a rotation beyond 7 is a given, largely because of Geno's tendencies. I do think it is quite likely to be 9 or more, mostly because I expect two out of the three of Ayanna, Ice and Jana to be in it because of the openings at the 5. If KK and or Ashlynn can force their way into some minutes, maybe we could go to 10 or 11 and run and press a great deal. I am hoping for that, but nobody comes in with guaranteed minutes or a spot in the rotation. There are ways Geno could avoid using any of them, and scenarios where all of them could find their way into the rotation depending on how positional competition plays out.

For Jana and Ice (since she is first year too) the opportunities are the greatest, KK and Ashlynn have a little higher bar to clear, and Q looks like a development year, but after the last two years expecting health almost seems like a foolish assumption. Regardless if we do have another rash of injuries, this year's team has plenty of really good options. The players in the rotation will be very good, but a couple of players just outside of the rotation should be as well.

sun

Reaction Score
It shouldn't take long to see which players can make shots more often than not, which players can handle the ball better, which can play better defense.
The more boxes that a player can check off as excelling in, that will better their chance of PT.
And then some players will improve as the season goes on while others develop more slowly.

I think that Geno will want to try to keep players healthy & injury free by not running them into the ground which happened this year with a short bench.
Especially with players that have suffered multiple injuries or have had surgeries.
If KK, Ice, Jana or Shade etc... can prove to be a reliable substitute or improvement over a counterpart, then they'll be rewarded with more PT sooner rather than later during the season.
It will be interesting to see if Azzi will continue to wear a knee brace & regain her shooting form, if Aubrey will continue to have back spasms & become more of a scorer, if Amari will take a junior leap, if Carol continues to have symptoms, and f Nika wil be able to improve her PG skills yada, yada yada.

I think that Geno will go back to the 8, 9, 10 player rotation for the better part of the season, and that UConn will become a team that has the ability to play as a rotation pack.
Then they'll be able to run fast & hot, and press teams like no one else.
I doubt that anyone will be playing 40 minutes next year if the team can maintain a high level of performance with a larger rotation.
Then players will need to either fit in or they'll lose PT whether they're new players or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every game. She is a shooting guard, period.
I guess then if Paige is just a shooting guard, then Azzi and Paige will have to battle for the starting SG position and the loser gets benched! Paige is a better PG than Azzi because she is a much better passer, and a better candidate for small forward because she is a much better rebounder than Azzi. Therefore, if Azzi and Paige both start next year, Paige will probably not be playing PG.

Paige was considered a PG out of HS, played PG her freshmen season and was voted national player of the year at that position, and could pass, score from all three levels and was considered a complete point guard. The one point I will agree with you on is she rarely pushed the ball hard up the court. but even then, she was always looking up the floor for a potential pass. I think she probably could push it more, but she is overworked in many ways, and I believe that is part of the reason why. Saying point guard is not her best position could be argued. Saying she could not play point guard IMO lacks credibility.

I think your point on pushing the ball up the floor though is interesting. We have a player who excels at that in Nika. She pushed it all the time, and for that reason, and because of her lack of scoring ability, when Paige and Nika are in the game, those two and the team are more effective when Nika is the point guard and Paige plays off the ball.

That in no way is saying Nika is a better point guard overall than Paige. Paige in my opinion could be an All American candidate at three positions. Nika is far less effective at anything other than point guard because of her limited scoring. Paige's versatility allows both of them to play together, and also means that next season Caroline and Aubrey could come in for Nika, because Paige can slide to the point. We could cover the position with just those two or add in KK but that is a choice not a necessity.

Many things could change, but I see Paige playing some at SG when Azzi is sitting, probably starting at SF, but shifting to PG when Nika sits. Nika will be just a PG, Azzi mostly just a SG, and Caroline and Aubrey mostly at the SF with Paige all over.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wash, rinse, repeat...the same unbridled optimism and unrealistic expectations placed on the freshman once again by the BY. From a positional need, Jana and maybe Ashlyn will have full opportunities to exert themselves into the conversation as 8 players usually make up a rotation, but given talent on the team and the reluctance of Geno/CD to place too much responsibility on Freshman and the fact that none of this group is nearly as heralded as DT, Maya, Stewie, Paige or Azzi, I will go out on the limb and say none of these players will be strong contributors. There may be 1 or 2 who have their moments but come on, this team will have AE, Ice, CD, Paige, Azzi, Ayanna and even Ines who will have earned the trust of the staff.

Let's use the past as prologue for our assessments and even revert back to last year with the completely ludicrous assessments on Ayanna and how many "dunks" she would have on the year, which, by the way was ZERO. Let them develop on their own time frame.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Wash, rinse, repeat...the same unbridled optimism and unrealistic expectations placed on the freshman once again by the BY. From a positional need, Jana and maybe Ashlyn will have full opportunities to exert themselves into the conversation as 8 players usually make up a rotation, but given talent on the team and the reluctance of Geno/CD to place too much responsibility on Freshman and the fact that none of this group is nearly as heralded as DT, Maya, Stewie, Paige or Azzi, I will go out on the limb and say none of these players will be strong contributors. There may be 1 or 2 who have their moments but come on, this team will have AE, Ice, CD, Paige, Azzi, Ayanna and even Ines who will have earned the trust of the staff.

Let's use the past as prologue for our assessments and even revert back to last year with the completely ludicrous assessments on Ayanna and how many "dunks" she would have on the year, which, by the way was ZERO. Let them develop on their own time frame.
Noticed you put Ice in there even tho she hasn't played in a college game , so is ur assessment the only one tht counts? Why can't we all have opinions, hopes, dreams and ....assessments.

Reaction Score
I don't mind the pre season optimism at all. What I don't like is when some people get their knives out if the players don't meet their expectations when they are still adjusting to the college game and college life in general.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom