Geno ok with Ekmark's plan. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno ok with Ekmark's plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
John Altavilla spent time talking to Courtney and Curtis and wrote a nice piece in his blog: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women...h-catching-up-with-courtney-ekmark/#more-4420

In it we learn:

• [ ]Courtney's parents told her that if she put together a plan for what she wanted to do with her senior year, they would support her
    [ ]She plans to travel to watch her friends from St Mary's play as freshman at various Div 1 schools
    [ ]She plans to be in Storrs to watch UConn play and practice
    [ ]She will play AAU ball with her brother's (boys) AAU team both in the fall and spring and play about 50 games against varsity HS boys
    [ ]She'll begin strength conditioning for the first time
    [ ]Curtis doesn't think there are any HS games that prepare you for playing at UConn so missing 27 of those games won't hurt her
Easy to see why Geno is ok with this plan.

Long time Headmaster, English teacher, coach of many sports and founder of the American Sports Academy movement speaking here:

For kids who are academically self-motivated, home schooling is a wonderful choice! And an especially good preparation for college. For smart kids and elite athletes, most traditional high schools are a very big waste of time.

Driven by her own interests and supported be good time management skills, Courtney will accomplish far more in the home-school environment than in a traditional school setting.

Hopefully she will "check in" with the Boneyard every few months to report on her senior year experiences.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she will "check in" with the Boneyard every few months to report on her senior year experiences.

Hopefully not. If she has experiences to share, I hope she will share them with someone from the Horde who can report them. Players have no place on this board. Not because we're not welcoming, but because I find contact between fans and students both (a) kinda creepy and (b) bordering on NCAA violations (particularly for someone who has yet to sign an LOI).

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If she's around at a lot of Uconn practices, workouts, games, etc. I'm sure the Horde will be touching base.

Reaction Score
Let me play devil's advocate here. Any thoughts on her basically ditching her hs teammates? I remember way back in the day Geno criticizing Tracy Lis for not playing softball her senior year in HS to do additional basketball workouts before attending PC, as he felt she was letting down her HS teammates.

My only thought is that some of these athletes are turning a bit robotic/professional. She may be more prepared for UConn hoops going the route she has chosen, but if it takes her part or all of her freshman season to be ready, is that the end of the world? Not even a big fan of student-athletes going away to summer school in college before they have even started their freshman year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let me play devil's advocate here. Any thoughts on her basically ditching her hs teammates? I remember way back in the day Geno criticizing Tracy Lis for not playing softball her senior year in HS to do additional basketball workouts before attending PC, as he felt she was letting down her HS teammates.

My only thought is that some of these athletes are turning a bit robotic/professional. She may be more prepared for UConn hoops going the route she has chosen, but if it takes her part or all of her freshman season to be ready, is that the end of the world? Not even a big fan of student-athletes going away to summer school in college before they have even started their freshman year.
I think part of her motivation is that it seems most of the team just graduated and is headed to D1 in the fall, so she was already feeling a little left behind. And with the athletic commitment during the school year which takes a huge bite out of their non-academic time, getting a few class credits and a little acclimated to the school environment during the first summer is a good thing. They can take a few less credit hours during freshman year and not be quite so stressed out.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Thank you for your post, and it isn't playing devils advocate. I hadn't responded since my original post in the closed topic. I just wanted to see if anyone would look at it from the other side.
How do you walk away from your HS teammates who are still with the program, for supposed personal gain. Who cares if they aren't "D1" talent. I wonder how many of them were looking forward to playing with CE this season. This is the same HS that gave her the exposure to get her offer from a D1 school. Now that you got your Gold Ring(a scholarship) its "see ya later, I don't need you anymore". HS participation in WBB is going down. Many schools no longer field Frosh/Soph teams. If elite players, on the varsity, start leaving the game, for personal gain, after their junior year what happens to the sport? If this becomes a trendsetting move say goodbye to HS sports.
Something else that was mentioned was that she would play AAU ball, some even posted on a boys team? Huh? Last I looked AAU doesn't allow seniors to play ball unless they are "unsigned", meaning no verbal commitment to a school and no LOI signed either. Another thing about AAU ball, the teams that play during school time, September thru March are generally for 5th thru 8th graders. There is the first weekend of October that AAU teams of HS age play for the 3 day viewing period, but that's it. As far as I know every state has a non-compete rule during its particular sports season. Thus you cant play for a HS team and an AAU team at the same time, during your HS season. This covers Bball, Vball and soccer. Since every player her age would be in HS who exactly would she playing with? She may play some open gym game vs guys that might help her, but do they simulate actual game situations or the pressure of having to make a last second shot in a game that "counts"?
I have been involved with or followed HS or prep sports for nearly 30 years. I always thought the name on the front of your uniform was the important name, not the name on the back.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ochoopsfan, I don't see why you felt the need to repeat your disparaging remarks about Ekmark and her family.

There are probably hundreds of kids that transfer from one HS to another. In fact, incoming recruit, Sadie Edwards, transferred from Mercy-Middletown to Nazareth HS in Brooklyn to Blair Academy, all to help her improve in basketball. You have issues with that?

And do you know how she communicated this to her teammates? Of course you don't. But wouldn't you think she would tell her friends what was going on and wouldn't you think they wished her well?

She is transferring her senior year to Ekmark HS. I don't understand why this bothers you so much.

Reaction Score
Something else that was mentioned was that she would play AAU ball, some even posted on a boys team? Huh? Last I looked AAU doesn't allow seniors to play ball unless they are "unsigned", Thus you cant play for a HS team and an AAU team at the same time, during your HS season. This covers Bball, Vball and soccer. Since every player her age would be in HS who exactly would she playing with? She may play some open gym game vs guys that might help her, but do they simulate actual game situations or the pressure of having to make a last second shot in a game that "counts"?
Courtney can find a boys game on an Arizona playground court that will provide tougher competition than any girl's HS team in the country. And most towns have boys basketball leagues for all ages that operate through the winter months. I don't see how her playing on a team with a new coach and a bunch of freshmen and sophomore HS girls can do more to prepare her for collegiate play.
And for as the comments about missing her HS senior experience I can only add my memories, which were that I couldn't wait to get away from the cliques, bullies & regimentation that filled those days. Not everyone's HS years were the Elysian Fields.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Ochoopsfan, I don't see why you felt the need to repeat your disparaging remarks about Ekmark and her family.

There are probably hundreds of kids that transfer from one HS to another. In fact, incoming recruit, Sadie Edwards, transferred from Mercy-Middletown to Nazareth HS in Brooklyn to Blair Academy, all to help her improve in basketball. You have issues with that?

And do you know how she communicated this to her teammates? Of course you don't. But wouldn't you think she would tell her friends what was going on and wouldn't you think they wished her well?

She is transferring her senior year to Ekmark HS. I don't understand why this bothers you so much.

Before I say anything else I want to apologize to you because you were the most upset. I dont want to post anything that will upset anyone, especially someone who is as devoted as the UConn group. Perhaps my original post was harsh, but I am very devoted to prep sports and the most important thing I tell any player I come across is that the goals of the team are the most important thing. Players will get noticed for their talent on the court, off the court and by how much they contribute to the team goal, no matter how good or bad the team is. We would all love to play for a winner, or even the best team in the nation, but that cant always happen and how we face the adversities of life develop who we are as players and as people in general.
I do not like players transferring from one HS to another unless there is a valid reason, which to me is a move in address, leaving a private school because your family can no longer afford a private school education, or there is some sort of problem with another player on the team or a coach on the team. I wont go into all the problems that could encompass. I do not like players leaving a team because the team graduated all of the top players or the team wont be a winner this year.
Best wishes to all and lets hope everything works out for everyone.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Before I say anything else I want to apologize to you because you were the most upset. I dont want to post anything that will upset anyone, especially someone who is as devoted as the UConn group. Perhaps my original post was harsh, but I am very devoted to prep sports and the most important thing I tell any player I come across is that the goals of the team are the most important thing. Players will get noticed for their talent on the court, off the court and by how much they contribute to the team goal, no matter how good or bad the team is. We would all love to play for a winner, or even the best team in the nation, but that cant always happen and how we face the adversities of life develop who we are as players and as people in general.
I do not like players transferring from one HS to another unless there is a valid reason, which to me is a move in address, leaving a private school because your family can no longer afford a private school education, or there is some sort of problem with another player on the team or a coach on the team. I wont go into all the problems that could encompass. I do not like players leaving a team because the team graduated all of the top players or the team wont be a winner this year.
Best wishes to all and lets hope everything works out for everyone.

Geeze, no need to apologize to me. I believe one might be due to Ms. Ekmark.

You keep repeating that she is leaving because the best players graduated or they won't be a winner next year. She has never put it in those terms. There is a difference leaving because her best friends are graduating and the best players. In this case, they are the same people, but you are assuming the worst about her.

Looks to me that you have decided what a valid reason is. I would think that she has valid reasons for her, not for you.

1. Her best friends on the team are graduating.
2. Her father will no longer be her coach.
3. She can determine her own schedule with only 2 classes needed to graduate.
4. Her family financial situation allows her to travel to see her friends and family around the country.
5. She can also travel with family any time during the year.

I'm sure there are other reasons that I haven't listed and some I would think are personal.

It seems to me you are saying that winning is everything and the remaining players self worth is tied to Ekmark. They have a new coach and if I was him, I would be fine with Ekmark's decision. The young players will have to grow up fast.

I don't see how it won't work out for everyone.

Reaction Score
How do you walk away from your HS teammates who are still with the program, for supposed personal gain. Who cares if they aren't "D1" talent. I wonder how many of them were looking forward to playing with CE this season.

There's an inherent assumption being made that the other girls on her team would all love to play alongside someone who is much more talented than them, getting all the attention, and possibly making them look worse by comparison.

We don't know what the team chemistry was before or would be this season. It's nice to believe that every high school team is full of best friends who have sleepovers and braid each other's hair before gametime, but that may not be the case here. We don't have enough information to judge that.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she can stay sharp and be able to keep pace academically when she gets to UConn.

Come on. The truth is the exact opposite. Those remaining in public school will have more trouble keeping pace with Ekmark than vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom