Geno just dropped the ball ... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
True - and I imagine Hoopdreams is unaware that Connecticut is a relatively weak basketball state. In some years, the top states produce more than 20 players better than CT's best.

As for McDonald's All-America, it's a nice honor - but plenty of politics involved and too much of it is based on stats.

You are too kind. Some people are just desperately unhappy and want to share that with you. If you are willing to just forget his/her name and refuse to be baited, then he/she will simply fade away and we can forget about the threads that take the joy away. Simply look away and move on. Time to stamp out the bugs.

Reaction Score
Collier was really really impressive last night. Better than KLS last night for sure. wouldn't trade her for any player Hoopdreams names or dreams about.

Reaction Score
Hoopsdreams - since you are such a superb evaluator of high school talent, I have a proposal for you... It'll be in 4 parts.

Part 1. If after Dec. 28th KG is doing "better" than Collier - and we can figure out what "better" means if you accept the proposal - I will donate 10$ to the Maggie Dixon fund in honor of Brenda and the Terps. If she's not, you will donate $10 in honor of Geno and the Huskies.

Part 2. If after the middle of conference play KG is better than Collier, see above...

Part 3. If, after the Conference tournament, KG is better.....

Part 4. If, after the NCAA s, KG is better...

Then, we start it all over again across their college careers.

What say you?

Deal! You are on. I will also so KG will be the better pro prospect and will be drafted ahead of Collier and KLS. You can take that to the bank!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Met and talked with Geno many, many times. He knows me and I know him. He knows that I am a very opinionated person. He respects my opinions and I respect him greatly as a basketball coach and a person.

Thank you for your basketball insights. They are very profound. In fact, we have an unusual parallel in our lives. I consider myself one of the very best stock pickers in the world. Have met and talked with Warren Buffett many times. He knows me and I know him. He respects my opinions and I respect him greatly as an investor and a person. Just as you are bummed out by Geno's failure to follow your advice on Kiah Gillespie, I am bummed out that Warren ignored my advice to buy Microsoft at $3 in the 1980s. It is very frustrating, indeed, that he continues to turn a deaf ear to my advice even though I know more about investing than he does. By the way, I'd be happy to give you some stock tips if you'd like them.

Reaction Score
I will be at the game on Friday so I will see first hand how Gillespie is doing. Remember that the Terps are not playing high level competition right now compared to UConn (tOSU) so whatever KG does you have to take it with a grain of salt. KLS is a little slow coming out of the gate but she'll get there. You also have to remember, just as Alyssa Thomas in 2010, the Terps will have to rely on KG to score more points than KLS will for UConn because they already have elite scorers on the team like Stewart and Jefferson.

Reaction Score
Bring in all the insults lol. [mod edit: flaming] Geno and Chris Daly are entitle to mistakes. He recruited for player Sadie Edwards, who stayed a semester. KG in my humble opinion will have a more profound collegiate career than Collier and KLS. I've seen them all play a number of times. Most evaluators will go with the sexy pick. I went out of the box. That's what makes me and my skill set unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Deal! You are on. I will also so KG will be the better pro prospect and will be drafted ahead of Collier and KLS. You can take that to the bank!
Have you been in mourning since Monday night? I would love to take your comment to the bank but it would bounce just like your many guarantees about Monday night's game. If you are such a great evaluator of WCBB and players, I am disappointed that you haven't posted your analysis of the complete blowout by UCONN Monday night.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bring in all the insults lol.
No problem.

KG in my humble opinion will have a more profound collegiate career than Collier and KLS.
Humble? Now THAT is funny.

Most evaluators will go with the sexy pick.
Or as some call it, the intelligent/knowledgeable pick.

I went out of the box.
And out of the infield and into left field. Not even sure you stayed in the stadium.

That's what makes me and my skill set unique.
Now that, I will definitely agree with.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/0/0/0/5/5/4/2/8/9/polls_UniqueDemotivator_5637_135951_poll.jpeg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Definitely punching bag time. But Hoopdreams as you're willing to set yourself as the humble non-sexy and uniquely cracked mirror that deflects all bad luck from UConn with weirdly distorted images, go for it. Being the village bonehead on the Boneyard is a thankless task, but at least you'll get some attention.

Reaction Score
Definitely punching bag time. But Hoopdreams as you're willing to set yourself as the humble non-sexy and uniquely cracked mirror that deflects all bad luck from UConn with weirdly distorted images, go for it. Being the village bonehead on the Boneyard is a thankless task, but at least you'll get some attention.
I love his new nickname. And his posts continue to reinforce its applicability. Well done!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
OK Hoops - are you going to be at the Garden for the Maggie Dixon Classic?

Let's see how well your pick does against Moriah, Kia and Gabby. I suggest you pick will have a very unproductive evening as will Maryland.

But that's okay. You go and have at it. See you at the Garden!!!!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, hoopdreams, since you're on - and such as superb assessor of talent - give us the rubric we will use to measure "better than" across the games UConn and MD play through Dec. 28th. I'm sure it will take in quality of opponent, stats across minutes, and other such nuanced details that come into play when assessing a player.

Also, if you'd like to join us for the Maggie Dixon Classic, I have a extra ticket. $45 gets you all-but-ringside.

Reaction Score
You guys need to be concerned more with Notre Dame than Maryland at this point and time. Geno also dropped the ball on Danielle Patterson. If she winds of up Notre Dame, which is highly possible, you guys are in for a world of hurt.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Bring in all the insults lol. [mod edit: flaming] Geno and Chris Daly are entitle to mistakes. He recruited for player Sadie Edwards, who stayed a semester. KG in my humble opinion will have a more profound collegiate career than Collier and KLS. I've seen them all play a number of times. Most evaluators will go with the sexy pick. I went out of the box. That's what makes me and my skill set unique.

Having lots of time on my hands, I read this entire thread this morning. Permit two comments:

1. I hope Ms Gillespie has a successful career at Maryland. After all, she's a Connecticut girl (a "Nutmegger"? :rolleyes:). Besides, I have a strong family connection to Maryland U., so please allow a little bias.

2. I will re-create a post [which got deleted] in response to the dreamer's keen evaluation of Geno's (in)ability to shine shoes:

"You need new material for your comedy shtick."

Reaction Score
Having lots of time on my hands, I read this entire thread this morning. Permit two comments:

1. I hope Ms Gillespie has a successful career at Maryland. After all, she's a Connecticut girl (a "Nutmegger"? :rolleyes:). Besides, I have a strong family connection to Maryland U., so please allow a little bias.

2. I will re-create a post [which got deleted] in response to the dreamer's keen evaluation of Geno's (in)ability to shine shoes:

"You need new material for your comedy shtick."
What I found most humorous was the statement of "IMHO" made by this guy. Nowhere in any of his semi ranting statements is there any sense of humility. I this and I that, and Geno knows how good I am, etc. all emanate from this guy's keyboard. 10 titles in 20 years, who has a better record? 5 undefeated seasons, anyone with more? 90 game winning streak, anyone else close? Geno and staff make decisions at a point in time and it's not in a vacuum. Roster size, positions filled, intangibles, all effect who gets offered and some times who does not. And as hard as it is to understand this sometimes a potential recruit just has her heart set on somewhere else, Don't recall the exact coment but a reference was made to Sadie Edwards and I think the implication was that Geno made a mistake. How about Saide made a mistake in her self evaluations believeing she deserved more PT and when she realized that was not going to happen she was determined to go elsewhere in the hopes of getting the PT she wanted. One of her options. And she left. Good luck. KG never got to Storrs, No offer or none deserved? Does it matter? Does the squad seem filled with a lot of really good fits? And when Butler and Boykin return a tough roster to share minutes with 13. Think another player would help that issue much?

Just the ramblings of a superb evaluater who has not met with Geno many many more times than I could count and also have not shared player assessments with him on nearly a daily basis.

Reaction Score

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I have a question, hoopdreams. After you share your assessment rubric, I'd love for you to lay out which version of "Dropped the ball" you're using...

1) "where'd she come from, how'd we miss her" (a la Alanna Beard)
2) "meh. she's not that talented, we don't want her." (you mis-evaluated her skill set)
3) "hmm... she's talented, but there's something about her that doesn't gel with our program... it's not the right mix" (you shoulda taken the chance)
4) "Dang she's talented! Go get her Shea! What, why doesn't she want to play for us!" (You sent the wrong person)
5) "Dang, she's talented! Rats, Brenda just out-recruited us." (You blew it)
6) "Dang, she's talented. Hmmm... now that we've spoken, she doesn't want to play in CT because of the pressure" (You should have pushed harder)

Jess wunderin'

Reaction Score
HoopDreams' genius is he never let's a good story die for lack of fact!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I think, maybe, Hoop has a hidden agenda here: he's heard that they're casting a sequel to "The Princess Bride", and he's eager to be given the role of Vizzini...;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Have you asked yourself what was the MOTIVATION for the posting that you gave this answer to?? Maybe he/she got what he/she wanted. I didn't know Geno was a Metallurgist . Coaching and Metallurgy too!!!

NO!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This thread has remarkable legs. Closing in on 200 comments and 10,000 views. That's some effective trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom