Geno goes gaga over the supersophs | The Boneyard

Geno goes gaga over the supersophs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I have been incredibly impressed with both Pheesa and Lou,” Auriemma said. “If you look around the country, who is playing better than those two? Day in and day out, we have played nine games and if you (look) around America, in the nine games who has played better than those two? Not many. They are only going to get better. This is the worst they are going to be, and that is what I keep smiling about.”

"We talked to them a lot of ‘this is why we recruited these guys and this is why you came here,’” Auriemma said. “If you look at our history and look up on that wall (of All-Americans and national players of the year), a lot of times whenever we’ve had two really good players in a class we’ve had success and that is our goal in recruiting to have at least two really good players in each class. That is why we very rarely put ourselves in a total rebuilding mode."

and much more....
UConn tandem of Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson trouble for opponents

Reaction Score
1. I thought UConn would struggle to score this year. I was wrong
2. I thought KLS would struggle as the number one scoring option. I was wrong.
3. I thought Pheesa would not be able to score inside against post defenders. I was wrong.
4. I thought UConn would struggle with defending the post and defensive rebounding. I was kinda wrong.
5. I didn't think KLS was tough enough to consistently score inside. I was wrong.
6. I have never been so happy to be so wrong.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The recruiting class of 2015 has proven itself to be exactly what Geno needed: two kids who uniquely do suite a lot to fill the void left by the recruiting class of 2012. Who knows; they may even be exhibiting some leadership too. I can only speculate. I can also be thankful they're in Storrs after a long journey from Cali and Missouri, respectively.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
lady-gaga_612x380.jpg

Reaction Score
3. I thought Pheesa would not be able to score inside against post defenders. I was wrong.
4. I thought UConn would struggle with defending the post and defensive rebounding. I was kinda wrong.
5. I didn't think KLS was tough enough to consistently score inside. I was wrong.
Kmoney, please predict loud and clear that we have no chance for the NC this year.:D

Reaction Score
The recruiting class of 2015 has proven itself to be exactly what Geno needed: two kids who uniquely do suite a lot to fill the void left by the recruiting class of 2012. Who knows; they may even be exhibiting some leadership too. I can only speculate. I can also be thankful they're in Storrs after a long journey from Cali and Missouri, respectively.
I do believe that we recruit the family almost as much if not more than the player. Both these kids come from great families. That's where the character comes from.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn was largely left out of the preseason AA discussion. I also read into Geno's remarks regarding his sophomores a push to get some national props for these two.

If the Huskies hang banner #12, there should be serious consideration of Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, Kia & maybe even Danger for various post-season accolades. It never hurts to have a coach of Geno's stature point out to the media just how well these young ladies are playing right now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"That is what they have been told and that is what they came here for, those two are going to be those two that we are counting and they know it. I am not surprised about what they are doing, I have planned that for them all along. Sometimes it doesn’t happen but I am not surprised. I would be surprised if they didn’t play well.”

Do not look at the short guy behind the curtain!

Reaction Score
"That is what they have been told and that is what they came here for, those two are going to be those two that we are counting and they know it. I am not surprised about what they are doing, I have planned that for them all along. Sometimes it doesn’t happen but I am not surprised. I would be surprised if they didn’t play well.”
Do not look at the short guy behind the curtain!
:) Funny how a month ago Geno was singing the blues and saying they needed their asses kicked, and now he's crowing that this was his plan all along! Truth usually lies somewhere in between fear and hope.

Reaction Score
And this post is SO right!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You could regard Gabby as a soph too considering her switch to a new position and her lost time with injury in HS.

That's a good point, and also cause for optimism that she will continue improving at a more rapid pace than you normally see from upperclassmen (along the lines of Geno's adage that you usually know pretty much what you've got by the time the player begins their junior year).

Reaction Score
“I have been incredibly impressed with both Pheesa and Lou,” Auriemma said. “If you look around the country, who is playing better than those two? Day in and day out, we have played nine games and if you (look) around America, in the nine games who has played better than those two? Not many. They are only going to get better. This is the worst they are going to be, and that is what I keep smiling about.”

"We talked to them a lot of ‘this is why we recruited these guys and this is why you came here,’” Auriemma said. “If you look at our history and look up on that wall (of All-Americans and national players of the year), a lot of times whenever we’ve had two really good players in a class we’ve had success and that is our goal in recruiting to have at least two really good players in each class. That is why we very rarely put ourselves in a total rebuilding mode."

and much more....

The one other thing I would point out is that they are doing it against some of the top teams in the country and not cremepuff teams....

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

and much more....

Seems to be a good class of players. I had recently asked thoughts on the 98 ratings from hoopgurlz and some thought the rankings were generous. It seems to me that the depth of talent is better these days than in previous years.

Asia Durr is living up to the expecations
Jessica Shepard is leading Nebraska
Kristine Anigwe is leading Cal
Kyra Lambert is having a good season with Duke
Arike Ogunbowale leads ND

There are a couple more of those 98s that are doing as well as expected. Both Katie and Collier were 98s. It all starts with recruiting, as always.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Last year after seeing their write-up on ESPNW, I nicknamed them the "Wonder Twins" I'm not at all surprised. I posted a comment on the tOSU Message Board when all my fellow Buckeye fans were talking samck about this being the year to get Connecticut, that they should watch out for these two...

Reaction Score

and much more....

Geno has NEVER so loudly proclaimed Freshmen or Sophs as he has Katie Lou Napheesa, Gabby and on occasion Dangerfield.
And as usual Geno is right. He is a well blessed man. Top talent performing as such AND teach-able, who listen. He knows it now so do we!! Apparently he has a gut feeling this crew shall take him to the land of OZ.

Reaction Score
:) Funny how a month ago Geno was singing the blues and saying they needed their asses kicked, and now he's crowing that this was his plan all along! Truth usually lies somewhere in between fear and hope.

It appears Geno's word were received and the results were as planned.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the entire choice was hers.
And so I said "if". Her staying would have made this team so exciting and athletic. Opposing coaches would have had to register a flight plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom