Geno embarrasses his starters today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno embarrasses his starters today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno's system has had a long record of success. He can not be anything other than what he is. It might be that the number of players that appreciate what Geno and his system can do is diminishing. If that is so then it will be just one more example in the decline of basic basketball fundamentals. It might lead him to come to the same conclusion that John Wooden did in respect to his continuing in coaching.

Reaction Score
I think (unfortunately), as per tonight's postgame, that this may be a case of Geno not knowing exactly what to do: At least at this moment.

-He has a #1 recruit who has not developed much at all, despite that trait being axiomatic in how we articulate how our team differs from virtually all others; long separating UConn from (say) Warlick's UTenn., for example. The UConn approach does not necessarily work with every young woman who chooses to come.

If that vaunted improvement in play is a principle (not the only) reason that recruits choose to come here, then a look at MW's singular lack of progress maybe a downer to some....To put it in the most vulgar and disrespectful manner possible; 'You have to take all his crap and this is the result'?

- His most recent #1 appears to have "hit the freshman wall." Doesn't it seem so much like what happened last season with
young CD...the parallels are disquieting...one magnificent game and then (relative) quiet. I hope the chain of similarity is soon broken and put to bed forever. And btw, is elevated soph CD quite the leader we anticipated?

-Then there is the case of an Senior All-start forward, seemingly not quite playing at the level of her sophomore season; causing some concern and disquiet.

Some (perhaps only I) have been moderately concerned about this (is it a trend) since the first Stewie season...Brianna had enough internal strength, competitiveness and god-given ability, that the combination of his prodding and her skillset won out, (and just in the nick of time) to steam-roll that season's NCAA's (and quite a sight it was). But it was close...she was near broken at mid-season.

The sky is not falling (at least not yet). This team will win most (or all) of its games.There is still time to develop the coherence and confidence (the 2 traits I find most lacking) . But there is a feeling beginning to emerge that what we are seeing is not representative of the most usual UConn Woman's BB. Something (or several things) are just not quite right. And as Geno eloquently puts it...it's not only wins and losses but how the game is played.

I do not have he highest expectations for this team but would be delighted to be surprised.
I am concerned about future recruiting;
I particularly worry that next season we will be a less than a top-ten team.
CD is a junior. Or did I miss something in the post?

Reaction Score
At sometime before they arrived in Storrs, the present 5 starters said they chose UCONN & Geno Auriemma because they wanted to be coached by a demanding coach that will bring the best out of them and prepare them for the WNBA and Basketball overseas and making the USA Olympic team! Playing College sports can be a humbling experience and also a rewarding one!
It's called "Character Building!"

Reaction Score
just saw it on svp show and his explanation was hillarious to hear, he meant well tho.

Reaction Score
I know he wanted to send a "message", but that was a poor look. Some players just dont respond to this. If I was a recruit, I would be thinking long and hard about playing here & if its right for me. Could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.

I somewhat agree, This team has not been playing particularly good ever since the Baylor game. And i don't think this helps right now. And for those that thought a loss was good for a team you where absolutely wrong.

Reaction Score
I know he wanted to send a "message", but that was a poor look. Some players just dont respond to this. If I was a recruit, I would be thinking long and hard about playing here & if its right for me. Could explain why the sudden increase in transfers & poor recruiting lately.
Once You get to College. If Your not playing well You should be pulled. That goes for all teams especially at the D1 Level.

Lee

Reaction Score
He should of kept them out the entire 1st half

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm surprised he has waited as long as he has before doing something like this.

Reaction Score
The starters were not playing like they usually do and they played much better especially on defense after Geno pulled them, in addition, the bench played well while they were in so looks like it worked!

For the Bench, the 5, Geno and us---that was a win win, win, win. Lessons learned all around. The Bench PROVED they can actually play when their backs are against the wall. GREAT.

Reaction Score
I am not a believer in "tough" love coaching. Lobo said she never remembered him taking out all five starters at once. These players do not like being embarrassed like that in public. ( I know, who am I to question a HOF coach, yada, yada, yada)
Look at the shooting numbers for the game, pretty bad, no confidence....

Reaction Score
Embarrassing your players , and this came up last year with MW, does not instill confidence.....

Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, only reading about this now. UCONN is going to need bench play contributions in the NCAA Tournament. League play is where your coach is going to have the opportunity to develop the bench. I watched the ASU vs Cal game today, and ASU subs 5 at a time. I realize that is a departure for UCONN, but if the starters came back in the game at some point, not sure that is "embarrassing"? If 5 kids can't come back from sitting on the bench for a bit, they probably aren't worthy of playing at a D1 program.

Reaction Score
I am not a believer in "tough" love coaching. Lobo said she never remembered him taking out all five starters at once. These players do not like being embarrassed like that in public. ( I know, who am I to question a HOF coach, yada, yada, yada)
Look at the shooting numbers for the game, pretty bad, no confidence....
If a Player wilts when they get tough love. They might need to get a little mentally tougher I’m just saying. Not everything is gonna be sunshine and rainbows especially at the D1 Level. I’m not a UCONN fan but I’m just saying

Reaction Score
I've heard this before from new members and those new to UConn BB. Let's just say this has always been and always will be Geno's style. Fortunately it won't change for you or anyone else new to UConn's mode of play. So far it's worked rather well for him, all the banners, all of the League pros and Olympic champions he's produced in Storrs. 'Nuff said.

Most of his former players love him.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Cool is in the eye of the beholder. But it is very accurate.

I decided to not respond to this poster,, as I could see no advantage to doing so. But, I will just note: the entire thread is based upon a rather severe criticism of the coaching. We certainly have threads/comments devoted to criticizing other coaches and programs. We even will criticize player's performance, and sometimes players themselves, whether UConn or other school's. I've seen comments criticizing freshmen, after their first exhibition games. Criticism is prevalent. I fail to see why egregiously foolish posters should be exempt. I further note, I did not identify individuals, nor, in fact, identify which POV I found idiotic. If somebody self-identifies as being singled out, well, that's kinda revealing, is it not?

Reaction Score
I think this is an interesting thread, and I always appreciate someone willing to take the backlash and post something critical here. But I don't think yesterday's move was that radical, they only sat five minutes of game time, and in general the starters responded well. Many other programs rest their starters five minutes every half, and some pretty good basketball coaches (Dean Smith and Hubie Brown come to mind) have played second units as units.

My question was why CW was pulled again in the second half. In the postgame, Geno said she responded well to the benching, and she certainly showed some good hustle on D and the boards.

Also, I think not playing ONO more is a huge mistake. I know she's raw and not ready, but she needs to develop and stay involved in the games, plus she's already a pretty good rebounder. She was the last sub to come back in at the end of the game, and I think she's the one with the potential to help the most in March.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing your players , and this came up last year with MW, does not instill confidence.....

It's worked pretty well with most of his players over the years. Maybe you should take over instead.

Reaction Score
I think this is an interesting thread, and I always appreciate someone willing to take the backlash and post something critical here. But I don't think yesterday's move was that radical, they only sat five minutes of game time, and in general the starters responded well. Many other programs rest their starters five minutes every half, and some pretty good basketball coaches (Dean Smith and Hubie Brown come to mind) have played second units as units.

My question was why CW was pulled again in the second half. In the postgame, Geno said she responded well to the benching, and she certainly showed some good hustle on D and the boards.

Also, I think not playing ONO more is a huge mistake. I know she's raw and not ready, but she needs to develop and stay involved in the games, plus she's already a pretty good rebounder. She was the last sub to come back in at the end of the game, and I think she's the one with the potential to help the most in March.
Play Olivia Nelson Odota much more !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak