Geno could get to 1,099 victories | The Boneyard

Geno could get to 1,099 victories

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Once Geno got his 900th win, the magic question has been whether he can pass Pat Summitt and get to 1,099. There was a contarian post by someone saying he wouldn't, but I think it's looking pretty plausible.

Let's assume that Geno does coach the class of 2015 to graduation. That trio is VERY good, and the talent with which it'll be surrounded is phenomenal. That means four seasons with Samuelson, Boykin, and Collier, three with the likes of Kia Nurse, Gabby, and Ekmark (all of whom should be improving), two with phenomenal prospect Chrystal Dangerfield (and possibly Morgan Tuck), and one with Stewie and Jefferson. Given that Maya got 150 wins in her college career, Katie Lou just might as well.

And let's HYPOTHETICALLY imagine UConn closes out this season as national champions.

If indeed both scenarios come to pass, Geno would finish this season with 917 victories and would have 1,067 by 2019. And if he has even a "garden variety" UConn season in 2019-20, and if indeed he coaches that season at all, he absolutely will surpass Pat.

Honestly, I think Geno's legacy as best WCBB coach of all time is sealed, but this victory count is a final frontier that I hopes he pursues.

And I think he gets there if coaches five more seasons after this one.

Reaction Score
I don't think the wins record makes or breaks his place as the best WCBB coach of all time. He's already there in my opinion, and many that cover the sport agree. There are still a few coaches ahead of him with a lot more wins that are still coaching, so unless those coaches retire soon or start having seasons where they win only 15 games, it will be tough for Geno to catch them when he can only gain maybe 5-10 wins on them every year.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
I posted this earlier.....and as HoopsFan21 points out there are four coaches on a collision course to potentially have 1100 wins at the same time in 5.7 years (Using some adjustment in red based on boneyard feedback). Given this, you have to ask when Tara will stop or could she actually end up with the most all time wins not to mention getting to 1099 first.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Tara and Sylvia and Vivian as well. I'd love to see all 4 surpass Pat. Of course 5-6 years from now, only Geno will have trounced her on NC's won.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My feeling is that Tara will end up with the most wins by a College Coach. I don't see her retiring before Geno does. Don't see Geno staying around longer then Tara just to get the most wins.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hell, Tara's nine months older than Geno. Why would she stick around longer? Especially given that she has less lofty goals to accomplish. Geno keeps getting NC-caliber recruits, whereas Tara, as wonderful a coach as she is, hasn't won one in what will probably be 24 seasons by April of this year.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that Tara will end up with the most wins by a College Coach. I don't see her retiring before Geno does. Don't see Geno staying around longer then Tara just to get the most wins.
Agree. She enjoys coaching at Stanford and would expect her to remain coaching at least as long as Geno. I don't have the exact current figures, but she currently leads Geno by 4o wins or so. Whether Geno retires with the most wins, he will have the best winning percentage among those coaches with the most wins (approximately, 90% give or take a few %).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It may come down to health and outside interests. Tara seems to love her job and Stanford. She may stick around longer. But Geno likely will have the most wins at one school and the highest winning percentage. Hopefully, he'll have 12+ championships, which will pass Wooden and everyone else.

I asked Eric this question, and I agree with his answer. We went 100-6 for each of Geno's 100 wins between 600 and 900. If UConn goes 100-6 over the next 3 years or so, will you be elated, disappointed, or indifferent? We'd be disappointed. I'd hope for no more than 3-4 losses. :)

By the way, the player who got to 100 wins faster than anyone was ... Tiffany Hayes. It took her all of 101 games. Way to go, Tiff!

Reaction Score
Let's assume that Geno does coach the class of 2015 to graduation. That trio is VERY good, and the talent with which it'll be surrounded is phenomenal. That means four seasons with Samuelson, Boykin, and Collier, three with the likes of Kia Nurse, Gabby, and Ekmark (all of whom should be improving), two with phenomenal prospect Chrystal Dangerfield (and possibly Morgan Tuck), and one with Stewie and Jefferson. Given that Maya got 150 wins in her college career, Katie Lou just might as well.

QUOTE]

What about Butler? She should be with Nurse, Williams, and Ekmark.... With three years..... What about Chong with two years....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would never tell Geno "he Cant do something" because he's already proven he can do everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom