Geno compares Stewie's offensive rebounding to deceased person's.. :( | The Boneyard

Geno compares Stewie's offensive rebounding to deceased person's.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
“We make it look easy a lot of times, but the ball still has to go into the basket. We make it look easy but it’s not always as easy as we make it look. Offensive rebounding is hard. Ask Stewie. She got a grand total of zero today. We missed 32 shots and Stewie got zero offensive rebounds. She got as many as a dead person.”

Geno had lots to say after the game. He always does. That is just Geno being Geno. IMO comparing Stewie’s offensive rebounding in this game to a deceased person is out of line. Some find it funny, some don’t.

I was curious to see that quote posted in the BY, all by itself. No other context or explanation. It was, in fact, the only post in that thread by that particular poster. UConn won the game by 34 points, but no compliments to anyone. Just a big fat negative. Lots of positives were ignored:

1. Stewie had 17 points, the most of anyone in the game. No mention.
2. Gabby scores 10 pts in 16 minutes on 4-4 shooting. No mention.
3. Kiah had another 8 blocks, in just 22 minutes. No mention.
4. Saniya had yet another good game, 3-3 shooting, 2 threes. No mention.
5. UConn held Temple to only 19 points in the 2nd half. No mention.
6. KML, MoJeff, Nurse & Chong all made 2 three point baskets. No mention.

It’s ok to criticize, point out mistakes and analyze what needs improvement. But when you never seem to have anything positive to say, it gets old & boring. The players deserve better. Just my opinion…

Go Huskies…!!

P.S. - Unrelated to my post...here's a picture.

ass.jpg

Reaction Score
“We make it look easy a lot of times, but the ball still has to go into the basket. We make it look easy but it’s not always as easy as we make it look. Offensive rebounding is hard. Ask Stewie. She got a grand total of zero today. We missed 32 shots and Stewie got zero offensive rebounds. She got as many as a dead person.”

Geno had lots to say after the game. He always does. That is just Geno being Geno. IMO comparing Stewie’s offensive rebounding in this game to a deceased person is out of line. Some find it funny, some don’t.

I was curious to see that quote posted in the BY, all by itself. No other context or explanation. It was, in fact, the only post in that thread by that particular poster. UConn won the game by 34 points, but no compliments to anyone. Just a big fat negative. Lots of positives were ignored:

1. Stewie had 17 points, the most of anyone in the game. No mention.
2. Gabby scores 10 pts in 16 minutes on 4-4 shooting. No mention.
3. Kiah had another 8 blocks, in just 22 minutes. No mention.
4. Saniya had yet another good game, 3-3 shooting, 2 threes. No mention.
5. UConn held Temple to only 19 points in the 2nd half. No mention.
6. KML, MoJeff, Nurse & Chong all made 2 three point baskets. No mention.

It’s ok to criticize, point out mistakes and analyze what needs improvement. But when you never seem to have anything positive to say, it gets old & boring. The players deserve better. Just my opinion…

Go Huskies…!!

P.S. - Unrelated to my post...here's a picture.

View attachment 8355
Public embarrassment of players seems to be an integral component of his motivational strategy. They gotta be tough that's for sure. Many times I'm shocked they don't up and leave e.g. Stokes, Charles, etc. It does seem to work and he gets away with it. Recruits must all be aware of it as well, but the best and most resolved just keep coming.

Reaction Score
Public embarrassment of players seems to be an integral component of his motivational strategy. They gotta be tough that's for sure. Many times I'm shocked they don't up and leave e.g. Stokes, Charles, etc. It does seem to work and he gets away with it. Recruits must all be aware of it as well, but the best and most resolved just keep coming.
The players know what's up. Does anyone honestly believe the players take what he says literally? Proof is when Stewie and Kaleena were talking about when Geno is with the coaches at practice criticizing something, and he says it just loud enough for the players to hear. Stewie and Kaleena said "you know we can still hear you." Then after the first UCF game when Stewie was interviewed about Geno saying it was the worst half of basketball he had seen in 30 years, Stewie kind of smiled (Kerith picked up on it), tacitly acknowledging that coach just might exaggerate a bit at times. It's true you need a thick skin to play for Geno, however, he is getting these kids (young adults) ready for life which isn't going to be warm and cuddly either.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno's got the tongue-in-cheek thing down perfectly and he particularly likes to prod his best players. From Phil's site:

"Maya's becoming a well-rounded person. She sings, juggles, plays the drums and is even learning how to switch on defense."
Geno Auriemma after Maya and Kaili sang the National Anthem as a present to the seniors on Senior Night 28 Feb 2009

"Lorin gets a lot of abuse at our practices and it's not from me because I don't talk to her. She doesn't know any of our plays, she doesn't know anything I just shun her, like the Amish," Auriemma said

"Maya is just an aggressive individual. She worked her butt off to get that one rebound tonight [against WVU]," Auriemma said with full sarcasm. 12 Jan 2008

But does she really enjoy mixing it up inside? Especially against bigger teams?
"No," Taurasi said.
"I like playing on the outside. I'm a guard. But I don't mind playing on the inside, don't get me wrong. I think the first couple of games I probably played more inside than outside."
Said Auriemma: "Get to the free throw line, get a rebound, I think that's going to make her a better player. Besides, I don't care what she wants."

"We don't call it ball handling....we call it grenade handling."
Geno, commenting on the ball handling of the early 2002-2003 season, during the Geno Show

"Giving Schuey the ball in the low post is like giving a 4 year old a hand grenade... something bad is going to happen"
Geno, commenting on the early development of Kelly Schumacher,during the Geno Show

"See this girl, Sue Bird, she thinks you're hot 'cause instead of watching the game she was watching you."
Geno, yelling at a passing student walking through Gampel during a practice which wasn't going the way Geno wanted.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I don't mind it. Wasn't the funniest thing he's said, but it was ok. He probably thought, "geez my dead grandma could play a game and get 0 offensive rebounds". He could have said "as many as me" or "as many as Butler", or anyone/thing else that didn't play.

No biggie, he's just prodding her a little. Overall got to give Temple some credit, they did well on the boards.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno's got the tongue-in-cheek thing down perfectly and he particularly likes to prod his best players. From Phil's site:

"Maya's becoming a well-rounded person. She sings, juggles, plays the drums and is even learning how to switch on defense."
Geno Auriemma after Maya and Kaili sang the National Anthem as a present to the seniors on Senior Night 28 Feb 2009

"Lorin gets a lot of abuse at our practices and it's not from me because I don't talk to her. She doesn't know any of our plays, she doesn't know anything I just shun her, like the Amish," Auriemma said

"Maya is just an aggressive individual. She worked her butt off to get that one rebound tonight [against WVU]," Auriemma said with full sarcasm. 12 Jan 2008

But does she really enjoy mixing it up inside? Especially against bigger teams?
"No," Taurasi said.
"I like playing on the outside. I'm a guard. But I don't mind playing on the inside, don't get me wrong. I think the first couple of games I probably played more inside than outside."
Said Auriemma: "Get to the free throw line, get a rebound, I think that's going to make her a better player. Besides, I don't care what she wants."

"We don't call it ball handling....we call it grenade handling."
Geno, commenting on the ball handling of the early 2002-2003 season, during the Geno Show

"Giving Schuey the ball in the low post is like giving a 4 year old a hand grenade... something bad is going to happen"
Geno, commenting on the early development of Kelly Schumacher,during the Geno Show

"See this girl, Sue Bird, she thinks you're hot 'cause instead of watching the game she was watching you."
Geno, yelling at a passing student walking through Gampel during a practice which wasn't going the way Geno wanted.
Still one of my favorites

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Come on, you don't think Stewie has a sense of humor? So did Maya, Bria ("she protected the basket at both ends of the floor", he said after she went 0-for-n against Maryland), Sue, Diana, Sveta, Rebecca, and Kara Wolters ("worst post player in America").

It does depend on the player's personality, and I think Rebecca and Kelly Schumacher had more trouble with it than most players. (When Rebecca practiced with the team after she graduated, she said that she came to appreciate how funny he was when the barbs weren't directed at her.)

I'm quite sure that I would react much better to that kind of coaching / mentoring than I would to the icy "death stare" of Pat Summitt in her prime. Not to mention her threats that "you won't want to fly home with me" if they didn't compete to her satisfaction in the game.

It doesn't take an otherworldly emotional IQ for a player to figure out (perhaps with help from teammates) that this is Geno's way of teaching, noticing, and caring.

Reaction Score
Stewie can score 25+ pts a game easily but doesn't because she doe not have to along with the team concept of passing and allowing others to shine. But, there are times when I see her playing against AAC teams and think she should be dominating and does not.
IMO, Stewie needs high level competition to improve. I feel that she is being stagnant this year. Geno is trying to motivate her on areas of her game that she can work on with this level of competition type of teams. Nothing wrong with that. That is how Geno is and always will be. We do not know what goes on in the locker room or during practice or what he says to her when he's not talking to media.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Coach uses these snide remarks as 'motivational' jabs more so than trying to be hurtful to the player.......In this case he wants Stewie to be more aggressive on the offensive boards. Sometimes he may make a remark when the team is turning the ball over too much ; or not playing good defense. All remarks to Motivate.....Not to destroy confidence. But you do have to have tough skin.

I have never seen it written , or heard anyone say , that it was easy to play for Coach Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Still one of my favorites

Thank you! I had not seen that.
I recall a hilarious Maya-imitating-Geno scene as well. Would be great for someone to find that.

Reaction Score
It’s ok to criticize, point out mistakes and analyze what needs improvement. But when you never seem to have anything positive to say, it gets old & boring.

D, I would agree if it's someone posting his/her personal opinion. But if you're just reposting Geno's comments, I don't see why you need to do research to balance it. It's a quote from Geno; by itself, it is news and worthy of passing along, imho.

Reaction Score
Stewie gets to proudly go down in history along side Kalana Green, who if I recall correctly, "couldn't guard a chair." Or that might have been Tiffany Hayes, or perhaps both of them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thank you! I had not seen that.
I recall a hilarious Maya-imitating-Geno scene as well. Would be great for someone to find that.
I think that's what they were referring to in the beginning of the interview. Hence why Geno "imitated" Moore. :D

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that for every comment by the coach the players' may read about themselves in the press, they get a hundred in practice and in the coach's room that deal more specifically and deeply both good and bad with the way they are playing. That likely is what matters to them. The jokes that Geno throws out about a player have always been a badge of honor to be shared around among themselves, and if you don't get one it's usually a bad sign that you aren't on the radar. He deals them out mainly to the players that he hopes will be composing the core of the Husky unit come Tournament time, and the jokes are also a lubricant during a tough grinding season that needs a lot of levity to get the players through with spirits up. And at times during the halftime shows or immediately after a game Geno will say something like "the offense couldn't play much better" or "the defense really shut them down," comments I hardly recall him making in past years.

Another main point of the jokes is that it gives the player a really concrete easy-to-picture inspirational goad for improving part of their game. "I'd like Stewie to get more offensive rebounds" doesn't quite stick in the mind like "she rebounds like a corpse." Who knows, maybe Stewie will become the Grim Reaper of the offensive boards for the rest of the year and surge ahead of Kiah and Morgan in o-rpg. It is worth noting that even though they are shooting FGs much better this year than last year, the Huskies are also averaging more than 1 O-Reb more per game. However, they are also shooting a lot more FTs and missing a huge amount more, so that likely makes up for the fewer chances on FGs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought the comment on Stewie was funny. She and Geno are close. He knows she can take it. He also knows that she can play better.

In the post-game on ESPN2, he did say some nice things. He was complimentary of Saniya's play and said Kiah was terrific. He also noted that the guards still need to learn to move their feet on defense and that UConn may lead the country in fouling 3-point shooters. He said you have to be the worst player in America if you foul a 3-point shooter. He was referring to Stewie and Moriah.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
David - great post and I'm so glad you started a whole new thread on this topic. THAT'S the point i was making in the game thread, but it fell on deaf ears. I hope YOUR fingers didn't fall off typing all those facts! (I was told I could type all the facts I wanted - till my fingers fell off - but that didn't take away from the fact that UCONN stunk up the joint, in so many words)...

I'd post the little video again - Biff posted it in the game thread, but I can't figure out how to post a video from youtube...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Usually you just right-click (or the equivalent) with the mouse over the Youtube video and select something like "Copy video URL" from the menu, and then on a new BY message you select that Media option on the BY message toolbar and copy the saved URL into the 'Enter media URL' box and press Embed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Usually you just right-click (or the equivalent) with the mouse over the Youtube video and select something like "Copy video URL" from the menu, and then on a new BY message you select that Media option on the BY message toolbar and copy the saved URL into the 'Enter media URL' box and press Embed.
"The specified URL can not be embedded as media"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog