Geno certainly did not sound negative on Ducharme | The Boneyard

Geno certainly did not sound negative on Ducharme

Reaction Score
He said we would know more this next week about her possible return. Has she been working out at all?
It would be great to get an 8th prime time player. Has any annoucement been made on what's ailing with Ayanna?

Thanks,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno sounded neither positive nor negative.

The good news is that they seem to be actively testing Carol to get her back out on the court. The bad news is it hasn't happened yet despite frequent testing. Like everyone, I would love to have her back, but, like everyone, I worry about the consequence of that to her long-term health.

It sounded like within a week or so the decision will be made to either let her play or shut her down for the year.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
In the post-game interview with Bob Joyce, "How's Caroline" was asked. The "She's fine" sounded like a gentle door slam.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
He said we would know more this next week about her possible return. Has she been working out at all?
It would be great to get an 8th prime time player. Has any annoucement been made on what's ailing with Ayanna?

Thanks,
Ayanna had season ending knee surgery after battling patellar tendonitis.

Although Geno was visibly gutted after the Creighton game when Aubrey was injured, he plays most things close to the vest nowadays, IMHO for a few reasons. He was middle of the road and appeared not to be outwardly worried when Azzi was injured in practice. Later, it was clear that what he said in public was a bit "fluffy" as to what really happened. His call though. Geno respects the player's privacy and wishes as to what information does and does not get released.

IMHO (again), we are in the same situation with Caroline. No news is neither good or bad, and Geno isn't committing to anything. With all the threads on her in the past year, maybe we just take a break, for as difficult it is for us on the BY as we want our players to be on the court, nothing we can ask, say, or do is going to change anything. I just want all of them to be healthy, and for me, that means nothing beyond that, period.

Jim

Reaction Score
The fact that Caroline was at the DePaul pre-game warmups but not on the bench (or just behind it) during the game like the other injured players indicates to me that she will be out at least for the rest of this year. I would love to see her back on the court, but her health is more important than my entertainment.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I doubt very much that Caroline will play again this season. If she is cleared, by the doctors, her parents, and the staff, then I would give her light workouts in practice, just to get her feel for the game again. I would have her sit on the bench, not playing unless the team gets into bad foul trouble. This would be a last resort, as she also would not be close to being in game shape. In my opinion, this will not happen. The health of this kid is more important than a basketball game. I know she wants to help her team, but going in and reinjuring herself will just make the current loss of her worst for her teammates and her fans. Wish her well.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess yesterday's posts in a couple of threads didn't do the trick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that Caroline was at the DePaul pre-game warmups but not on the bench (or just behind it) during the game like the other injured players indicates to me that she will be out at least for the rest of this year. I would love to see her back on the court, but her health is more important than my entertainment.
Indeed. The Hearst Connecticut article stated that her appearance during pregame warmups was her first appearance with the team at a game since the Cayman Islands Classic back in November, nearly two months ago. The fact that she couldn't remain with the team during the game suggests she continues to suffer. Hoping for her long-term health.

Reaction Score
Carol has more going on than simple concussions even multiple ones. It is not likely she will return to playing contact sports. Before you ask, yes I am a physician and yes I know a lot about traumatic brain injuries. When someone cannot tolerate being present in a gym for a basketball game (to observe), return to play is unlikely.

Reaction Score
The timing of trying to reach some conclusion early next week makes sense to me from a timing standpoint. Even immediate clearance with no current symptoms doesn't mean that she would be a major factor soon. As I understand it she is not able to do many things to keep in shape during this time, so she probably has some major catching up to do, then enough practice time to get back into the swing of things, and initially limited game time to start.

So how much further into the season would it be before she could make a big contribution? Near the end of the conference schedule? In the conference tournament? early round NCAA games? With some of those scenarios a a little help late for this year has to be weighed against a possible extra full year of eligibility healthy.

Caroline can still red-shirt and gain an extra full year of eligibility because she has only played two games. So assuming she still has a viable basketball career (and health doesn't rule it out) would you rather get what you can from her for part of this season, plus one more, or two full seasons and hopefully more healthy by red-shirting this year.

Obviously the doctors may take playing off the table, but if they did give a go ahead, it is not clear that Caroline should return this year even if she could. The potential number of games where she could contribute might tilt the decision toward a red-shirt year, but potentially being available for the most important games in the tournament can be a factor in the other direction. Not an easy call IMO even if she is medically cleared.

At this point of the season it is kinda like either lets go, or red-shirt. Whether the medical evidence is sufficient enough now to make judgement I don't know, and if more time is needed to assess, I presume the decision would be to go ahead and plan on the red-shirt and playing without her this year. One way or the other we can hope for the best for Caroline, and we should no something soon.

Reaction Score
Although my dad was a neurologist none of his knowledge rubbed off on me. I also fell off my bicycle a few years ago and suffered a concussion even though I was wearing a helmet. Again, no wisdom was achieved this time either.

Here’s the little I do know. When you have a concussion you don’t do any physical exercise at first. You mainly rest in darkened rooms. Even watching TV can be a challenge. Running is definitely not recommended. In my case it only took a few weeks to get back to a normal routine. But my concussion was minor, and my normal routine is not that of a D1 athlete.

Caroline suffered her first head trauma last spring and it looks like last summer was too early to return. So was last fall and winter. If she’s going to return at all I’d be very surprised if it’s any sooner than next fall. Even that might be too soon. She comes from a family of athletes — mom dad brother sister all college level athletes — so competition is in her genes. If it’s possible to return, Caroline will return to the team. Just not too soon.

She amazed me in her freshman season. No fan wants her to return more than I do. But I am as nervous as a cat about the prospect.

Reaction Score
I will remember Caroline for how she put the team on her back two years ago when Paige went down mid season with the knee injury. During that period she showed what a phenomenal scorer she could be. The pinnacle of that stretch was the last second basket she made which gave UConn a miraculous win over DePaul, despite 30 points from Aneesha Morrow. Also I remember her coming off the bench against Notre Dame in the 4th quarter after Paige had that terrible knee injury, and pumped in 14 points. She was quite a player and I hope she is remembered for that.

Reaction Score
I too am concerned with the very idea of her playing again! However, it is unimaginable to me that UConn, Geno, or the Medical people would be anything but uitraconservative in assessing Caroline’s fitness to return to the floor. Given that imo, unassailable fact, and understanding that Caroline herself is undoubtedly fully aware of her health situation, I say we let the medical experts (and Caroline) make that decision! If the experts say she’s OK, and Caroline agrees, who are we to say she can’t do something she’s been cleared to do!

It’s pretty clear that even if she were cleared to play, it would likely be weeks before she actually was able to play meaningful minutes so, it’s not as if we are looking to her to save our season or something. Anyway, I say let the experts do their job and then support whatever decision Caroline makes! It is her life and she should be allowed to do as she sees fit based on best medical advice!

Geno will not risk either Caroline’s longterm health or the functioning of this finely tuned machine he has laboriously built over these past few weeks unless the word from the medical experts is unequivocal!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
here's a thought about the sudden talk of a 'final decision' concerning caroline.

theory is that if she has come to the conclusion that playing basketball is no longer possible (because of medical issues or any other personal reason) making the decision public could ease concerns (here or among potential recruits) about spots on next season's roster.

and of course, it could settle caroline's own mind about her future. it can't be easy to face what she's been going through for years without a resolution. that could be what geno's referring to when he says she's 'doing fine.'

Reaction Score
Caroline has a medical condition of the head & neck that, appears to preclude her, not to return for any more trauma, she may receive in playing basketball !

Reaction Score
Nothing in Geno's remarks about Caroline left me encouraged about her return this year. I hope I'm wrong .
I agree. What he said is he would be able to answer the question as early as next week. First she wasn't helping the team and secondly she is way to fragile to risk having something permanent that would effect her overall quality of life. I really like watching her play but for her health I hope she retires.

Reaction Score
I think all the injured players who are on campus showed up for the on campus game. Don’t think any positive inference can be drawn from that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't think the news will be that Caroline is going to play this season. She didn't stay for the game.

There may be some clarity next week.

I don't think Caroline will play basketball again.

Reaction Score
Once Caroline went out again this season, I came to the conclusion in my own heart that this was probably it for her. She has amazing talent and what she did for the team and what she’s battled through cannot be understated. It is such a shame she’s been sidelined by serious injuries like this. If retiring from basketball is in her best interest then I have nothing but well wishes for her.

Reaction Score
The upcoming decision we are waiting for could be short term or long term. A decision on this season needs to happen pretty soon, but it is possible the long term decision could wait. There appears to be three scenarios, she will try to return this season, she will retire from basketball for good, and this year is out but further determinations will be made before deciding if she will try to play next year.

Reaction Score
If something like basketball had been a really integral part of my life for so many years and suddenly I could no longer participate in playing I'm not sure I would even want to be inside a gym watching other people play.

Reaction Score

Thanks,
Ayanna had knee surgery, which she has been dodging since HS. Not sure if it was ACL, but I believe it was. It is not a good sign that Caroline was at Gambel before the game Saturday, but did not stay for it ( or so it was reported ). This suggests that the noise, lights, and general cacophony of the event are still too much for her to manage. If that is the case, she is not able to play. Given her symptoms, I hope she sits out the season. Perhaps she calls it a career. Sad but likely smart for her future. We shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom