Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
In the presser after the Texas game, Geno stated that Paige played poorly. The question is was that fair? I believe he did so because he wanted to send a message to her.

Let me preface my comments by saying that Paige is my all-time favorite player. I am not critiquing her play. She has performed admirably after missing last season and the better part of the season prior. Expectations of what she is capable of are high, and maybe it's too much to expect a return to form so soon. I think it is reasonable to state that she hasn't reached her comfort level on the court yet, and the injuries to Azzi & Caroline appear to have had impact on her and the role she needs to assume.

Paige looks like she is carrying so much weight on her shoulders. I haven't seen much joy in her. Of course, playing for UConn and losing 3 times in the first 7 games won't produce a happy camper. I won't speculate how she feels physically, although for a superstar, she is roughed up and not protected by the refs. My concern is I think she is struggling with her role mentally. The dream of playing alongside Azzi was dashed, and now she's expected to pick up her lost production as well as Caroline's. I haven't seen the exuberance yet of her freshman season. Paige prefers to be a distributor, getting everyone involved and choosing to pick her spots to take over, but that has to change.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt she was subdued in the game against Minnesota. She started the game yesterday tentatively and didn't really look to be aggressive offensively. For this team to succeed, she has to take close to 20 shots, particularly against the top teams. She has to lead by example and then get her teammates to follow. There are too many first-year players and the only other reliable option is Aaliyah. The freshmen will be good, but it's a lot of pressure to carry, as Paige knows all to well. She can do it and handle it, and that is why Geno called her out yesterday.

I don't care if she shoots 1-20 in a game, as long as she is aggressive. At least 10 of them should be deadly pull-up jumper, which so far is missing in action. I realize Paige seldom takes bad shots, but I can live with some forced ones, if only to draw more attention from the defense, thus opening space for other players, particularly Samuels & Shade when they are in the game.

Paige has always stated she will do what's necessary for the team to win. Well, this year it's necessary that she shoot more. The sooner she embraces her role, the sooner UConn as a team can begin to jell, and the sooner the joy comes back to her game.
OOK, so most coaches know that in order to send a message to the whole team, you take it to the player who can handle it. What good would it be if Geno were to have said the same about Amari? No Paige can shoulder the burden and come back stronger. IMO the freshman not so much. Going off on Paige can unite the players knowing full well that Paige is not the problem with the team. The hope is that the rest of the team improves their play, taking some of the burden off their leader. A smart play by Geno.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Tuck was never the same after her injury in high school. She was a total beast in high school but due to injuries became highly over rated and over drafted. Conneticut made a big error drafting her. They had two first rounders and could have drafted their top pick and still kept Chelsea Gray instead of trading her for Jonquel Jones They could have used the pick they used on Tuck for Jones. Who never fully recovered.
She made AA one season and was a star in two of the FF. Tuck was a very good college player.

sun

Reaction Score
OOK, so most coaches know that in order to send a message to the whole team, you take it to the player who can handle it. What good would it be if Geno were to have said the same about Amari? No Paige can shoulder the burden and come back stronger. IMO the freshman not so much. Going off on Paige can unite the players knowing full well that Paige is not the problem with the team. The hope is that the rest of the team improves their play, taking some of the burden off their leader. A smart play by Geno.
I doubt that Paige's fans & followers would agree that it's smart to call out Paige when at least one other player performed much worse.
Paige only had 1 turnover in the game while Aubrey had 4 TO's & didn't score any points in 20 minutes.
Paige had 2 surgeries & at at the beginning of the season she said that she just wanted to be happy to play & contribute.
And now Geno sounds like he wants her to play like Caitlin Clark.
Even Caitlin wouldn't be the player she is today if she sat out 584 days & had 2 kneee surgeries.
Geno should show more compassion for Paige's feelings.
Maybe Geno should have criticized himself.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Goes to show you how important last years "Tall Blonde" was...she glued the team together, her presence brought out the best in the team.... I would say if we had her or if one of the bigs on todasys bench would step up..and say enough is enough and fill her shoes.... and I might say we probably would be undeafeated at this point....
She went to the WNBA and made us all proud. Shocked a fair number of announcers too.

Reaction Score
Tuck was never the same after her injury in high school. She was a total beast in high school but due to injuries became highly over rated and over drafted. Conneticut made a big error drafting her. They had two first rounders and could have drafted their top pick and still kept Chelsea Gray instead of trading her for Jonquel Jones They could have used the pick they used on Tuck for Jones. Who never fully recovered.
Tuck has her name on the wall. Kind of hard to call anyone up there overrated, don't you think?

Reaction Score
Tuck has her name on the wall. Kind of hard to call anyone up there overrated, don't you think?
You are correct in that it's hard to question if someone is great if they are up on the wall but overrated is a different argument.

For example, a lot of people I know (mostly under 40) will say "yeah, the Beatles were unquestionably great, but I think they're overrated".

Reaction Score
You are correct in that it's hard to question if someone is great if they are up on the wall but overrated is a different argument.

For example, a lot of people I know (mostly under 40) will say "yeah, the Beatles were unquestionably great, but I think they're overrated".
You can call anyone overrated, so plead your case! Proved she was overrated while a member of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
You can call anyone overrated, so plead your case! Proved she was overrated while a member of the Huskies.
If that challenge is directed at me, I don't think Tuck was overrated (someone else made that claim). I'm just pointing out that saying someone is overrated doesn't always mean you don't think they were great. Just not as great as others make them out to be and perhaps that's what they meant.

Last edited:

Jds

Reaction Score
Answer the questions. What should he have done? I listed three since 2017.
In recent history plenty of bigs(and other players) with lower ranking have been recruited to other programs and have developed and been better than what Geno has recruited. Geno is generally starting with top players many other coaches are not and are developng their players better. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'd like to call out Geno for the big girl hole in his recruiting for longer than I can remember.
I totally agree. Paige as I have seen in 2 games is hurt. She is limping or at least respecting one knee. The 10 turn overs by 2 players and the 11 by others--and a TEAM Problem--Edwards cannot compete fully against 6ft 5's or above that are talented. Geno has bigs on his bench--he doesn't play. If they cannot perform to his expectation --whisper in their ears. Brady highly rated then injured has lived up to her rep. Q played, for a frosh, well. KK is the bright light on this team. Muhl--was mugged for 34 minutes--it was physical. Uconn teams historically don't handle physical games well--a particular Fla team--played Uconn better than the talent on the Fla team --by being Physical.
When it was a coaching issue and a team issue--that becomes a coaching issue. CEO's are responsible for the actions of the floor sweeper. The reason I liked old Harry Truman--the Buck stopped with him--he never publicly chewed out a private. (he was a WW1 Capt)

Reaction Score
In recent history plenty of bigs(and other players) with lower ranking have been recruited to other programs and have developed and been better than what Geno has recruited. Geno is generally starting with top players many other coaches are not and are developng their players better. If Amari is never going to cut it pull her scholarship and recruit another player. Scholarships are year to year.
If you are a talent 6 ft 5in player--would you go to Uconn as a freshman after seeing recent years of Bigs on Uconn? After Megan Walker--I was surprised the recruitment was so good., Dorka did well because she was experienced and played for a good Ohio team.. Freshmen need instructions and some PT (with lessor teams) to develop--if they didn't arrive that way.

Reaction Score
He recruited Amari. Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna, and Jana. Plus one other who transfered. Its not his fault they got hurt or didn't live up to their billing.
Did Amari have an ACL? I missed that episode. Edwards is more than she should be--but not 6 ft 5. Ayanna is she still on the "injured list?. Ice was cleared to play--is that cleared with caveats? Jana yes is out for a year. She probably would have sat this year anyway. Tina and Dolson were high degree successful Bigs--both developed on the floor. Dolson's first or second game she took on Griner--experience galore.

Reaction Score
If that challenge is directed at me, I don't think Tuck was overrated (someone else made that claim). I'm just pointing out that saying someone is overrated doesn't always mean you don't think they were great. Just not as great as others make them out to be and perhaps that's what they meant.
That hardly makes much sense. Put 100 people in a room and ask them any subjective questions and you will most like get an overwhelming number of different and diverse views. :)

Reaction Score
I’m from central Massachusetts, about an hour away from Storrs. I started following UConn women’s’ basketball at the beginning of their dynasty….have not missed a game since…. Early on, I would ask myself why any top recruit would want to come to UConn.. the answer was obvious, THEN….That answer ( imo) does not really apply anymore, and I find myself again asking: Why would any top recruit want to come to UConn? National Championships? Coaching? Academics? Campus ?

Reaction Score
I’m from central Massachusetts, about an hour away from Storrs. I started following UConn women’s’ basketball at the beginning of their dynasty….have not missed a game since…. Early on, I would ask myself why any top recruit would want to come to UConn.. the answer was obvious, THEN….That answer ( imo) does not really apply anymore, and I find myself again asking: Why would any top recruit want to come to UConn? National Championships? Coaching? Academics? Campus ?
So what's your opinion? But yes, all those things ... except you forgot Final Fours (almost is also important). However, as I've posted elsewhere here, many schools have closed the gap in many ways. So. Carolina, LSU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Texas and others all offer top programs and maybe more NIL offers? They are all heavily competing for the top ranked high school players and transfer portals and overseas. The present question IS, does UConn have enough player personnel for a top ranked player to come to Storrs?

Reaction Score
Did Amari have an ACL? I missed that episode. Edwards is more than she should be--but not 6 ft 5. Ayanna is she still on the "injured list?. Ice was cleared to play--is that cleared with caveats? Jana yes is out for a year. She probably would have sat this year anyway. Tina and Dolson were high degree successful Bigs--both developed on the floor. Dolson's first or second game she took on Griner--experience galore.
I didnt mean ALL were hurt or a disappointment. I was just saying that Geno HAS gotten some bigs and thru circumstances beyond his control SOME didnt pan out or are hurt...not ALL but SOME and thats why currently we are short on bigs.

Reaction Score
So what's your opinion? But yes, all those things ... except you forgot Final Fours (almost is also important). However, as I've posted elsewhere here, many schools have closed the gap in many ways. So. Carolina, LSU, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Texas and others all offer top programs and maybe more NIL offers? They are all heavily competing for the top ranked high school players and transfer portals and overseas. The present question IS, does UConn have enough player personnel for a top ranked player to come to Storrs?
The biggest draw was Geno and championships… but that was a time when UConn had limited competition…Geno is probably on his way out, soon… and, unless we hit the jackpot via portal, no championships in sight.

Reaction Score
I think Paige is in a tough spot. She certainly doesn't appear to be having much fun, just doesn't look herself. People have commented, wondering if her knee or something is bothering her. If she is,especially if it's her knee, she could be worried about that knee long-term. And,of course, she's expected to carry this team. If she is playing thru pain and other stuff, she certainly doesn't need a public calling out. I think this is a very concerning situation. That said, she continues to be a warrior, hitting the floor many times on Sunday, either for loose balls, or put there by Texas players. That's the only way she knows how to play, and I hope she makes it thru without another injury.

Reaction Score
In recent history plenty of bigs(and other players) with lower ranking have been recruited to other programs and have developed and been better than what Geno has recruited. Geno is generally starting with top players many other coaches are not and are developng their players better. If Amari is never going to cut it pull her scholarship and recruit another player. Scholarships are year to year.
If you watched her in HS and think DeBerry was a top 15 talent coming out then you had her mixed up with another kid. And the vast majority of coaches, especially Auriemma, don't just pull scholarships for anything other than academic or disciplinary problems.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you watched her in HS and think DeBerry was a top 15 talent coming out then you had her mixed up with another kid. And the vast majority of coaches, especially Auriemma, don't just pull scholarships for anything other than academic or disciplinary problems.
I think it may well be that the only Geno firing of a player was a guard who thought she was above the rules. She ended up rather quickly with Vic Shaffer at Mississippi State. Can't recall the name. She's dead to me.

Reaction Score
I think it may well be that the only Geno firing of a player was a guard who thought she was above the rules. She ended up rather quickly with Vic Shaffer at Mississippi State. Can't recall the name. She's dead to me.
Andra Espinoza-Hunter from Ossining, NY. She's listed on MS State's roster for 2018-19 but has been erased from the UConn site's roster for 2017-18. However, Wikipedia shows her for that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom