Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Calls Out Paige for Poor Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can you provide a link to his post-game press conference or the relevant quotes? I’d like to see what words he used and the context. Thanks.
The reporter asked a question about Paige that I couldn't quite hear. Geno said...

"Paige...<pause>... um... I dunno. Maybe she's still rusty you know - maybe she's just not in game mode because she hasn't played in so long. Ah... I thought she was lousy today. Quite honestly, I thought she was BAD <emphasized the word>. And um... uh... I told her that. You know, Paige isn't good when it takes 7 dribbles to get her shot off. Paige isn't good when she's gotta take on guys 1 against 2... 1 against 3... going in the lane, you know. Forcing things hoping to get to the free throw line. That's not her game. That's not who she is. So, yeah, I'm chalking it up to she's still rusty. But yeah... no.... no she was not good."

Reaction Score
I would tell those being ignored by the defense that they are being disrespected. More than anything, and there's not better time...this dog needs a bite. Enough of the nice girl show. Get some technicals for all I care. Time to stop mourning our losses (players and games) as fans and get behind these ladies that show up.

sun

Reaction Score
Of all the things that Geno could have been said about that game.. That has to be about the most stupid..

Personally i think the problem goes a little higher on the food chain..
Geno's could have been more diplomatic with the way he worded his comment.
Or he could have made the comment to Paige personally in a private setting without exposing her to public humiliation.
I rarely hear other coaches making such personal criticisms because it seems like it singles out a player for a loss.
I think that players don't need that kind of media drama because it can make them want to diappear from the program or for others to not want to go to UConn to begin with.

Superstar players can just about receive a blank check to go to any school of their choosing & can bring some of their player friends with them.
They should be treated with kid gloves & respect.
Coaches don't expect to be publically criticized by their players so why should players put up with coaches who unfairly criticize them in public?
I mean that with all sincerity because Paige's stats don't show that she played very poorly.
She could have played better, but he should have lept it to himself.
Paige is not Stewie & IMO that tactic doesn't work now days.
And neither does benching a player or mimiting the PT of a player who don't deserve to be.
Every player has their better & worse games & they don't get called out for it & shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Geno calling out players is something he has done his entire career. Its part of is coaching techneque. I do not necessarily disapprove. However, I am glad that posters on this site that do not approve of Geno's actions are not giving him a pass at this point. In the past some would talk up arms against any other coach who would do what Geno does and give Geno a pass. Fairness is important. I personally believe that Geno is a systems coach and it certainly worked for him all these years. The question remain is it can still work today.

Every player is different as well as situation. I do question the timing of his remarks to Paige. Even though she has always been amenable to constructive criticism now might not be the best time for it. Making it public is even worse. If Paige had any thoughts of returning for another year, this might help make up her mind.

Reaction Score
Stewart and Tuck got benched against a team that everyone knew UConn would beat without them.
Tuck was never the same after her injury in high school. She was a total beast in high school but due to injuries became highly over rated and over drafted. Conneticut made a big error drafting her. They had two first rounders and could have drafted their top pick and still kept Chelsea Gray instead of trading her for Jonquel Jones They could have used the pick they used on Tuck for Jones. Who never fully recovered.

Reaction Score
Auriemma has recruited all the top bigs in the country for 30 odd years. Your memory must not be long, he got Lobo, Wolters, Charles, Stewart, Stokes etc. You weren't complaining when they were winning everything in sight. What should he have done to get the ones that decided to go elsewhere? Should he have kidnapped Boston? Brink wanted the Stanford education and to be near her family. What more should he have done to get A'ja Wilson to leave her hometown? Who else do you think he should have gotten?
You are so correct. Unfortunately UConn isn't the only place to go these days. Dawn Staley is here to stay and she's going to win her share of National Championships. Kim Mulkey is always going to be able to get top players and whether you like her style or not ... she's a winner. UCLA, Duke, USC, Stanford, Texas and I'm sure I'm overlooking a few more. They're all coming for us. We have (had) the talent to compete with anyone (regardless of the lack of a big), but most of them are out for the season or injured. Not much Geno can do about that if anything.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
He's landed several highly ranked or accomplished forwards and posts:
2018: Azura Stevens, 6-6, (All-ACC Transfer, #6 WNBA pick)
HS Class 2018 : Olivia Nelson Ododa, 6-5, (#5 HS Recruit)
Transfer in 2021 offseason : Dorka Juhasz, 6-4, (All-Big Ten transfer)
2020 HS Class: Aaliyah Edwards, 6-3 (3rd Team AP All American)
2021 HS Class: Amari Deberry, 6-6 (HS #14 Recruit)
2022 HS Class: Ayana Patterson, 6-2 (#4 HS Recruit)
2022 HS Class: Ice Brady, 6-3 (#5 HS Recruit)

He's had good players that are tall, the problem is they just don't stack up to elite bigs at other programs (ex. Aliyah Boston, Cameron Brink, Kamilla Cardoso, Angel Reese, Lauren Cox, Lauren Betts). All of these players rebound well, block shots and can score offensively. UCONN hasn't had anyone who can do all 3 since Stevens, and she only played one year and was underutilized.

The 2021/2022 recruits have all been injured or haven't developed, and UCONN didn't land any notable front court players from 2023 or 2024. They did land 6-5 Jana El-Alfy in 2023 who is an unknown, but she's out all year with an injury too. It's been a perfect storm of injuries and missing out on a lot of impact recruits that decided to go elsewhere.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd like to call out Geno for the big girl hole in his recruiting for longer than I can remember.
Ok, I’ll play.

2018-19 Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Batouley Camara (JUCO transfer)
2019-20 Olivia, Batouley, Evelyn Adebayo (grad student)
2020-21 Olivia, Aaliyah Edwards, Piath Gabriel
2021-22 Olivia, Aaliyah, Piath, Dorka, Amari
2022-23 Aaliyah, Dorka, Amari, Ayanna, Ice
2023-24 Aaliyah, Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana
2024-25 Amari, Ayanna, Ice, Jana, ?
2025-26 Ayanna, Ice, Jana, Gandy, ?

Reaction Score
You win as a team, you lose as a team. When a team wins it is never just one player who is responsible just as in losing. Every player who has ever played on any team has had bad days, good days, and great days. But the defining goal is for a player to have mostly good days. I am going to say something now that will infuriate many boneyarders but what I feel is only the truth. For almost thirty years Geno has more or less had his pick of four and five star players. In many instances they sought him out. This is no longer the norm. With the advent of more women coach's in the game I think these young ladies feel they can relate a little better. Hey, I might be wrong but that's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll play.

And out of these ten how many have been major contributors????

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
About two weeks ago, Geno mentioned Paige had some planter fasciitis. Have had this when playing competitive sports and its tough to get over it when you spend every day running, jumping, etc. Even if its mostly over, you still often have a constant ache. Paige is normally a smile first, high energy player. No specific knowledge - just wondering.
Thought I heard him say patellar tendonitis, where if they harvested the new ligament from that tendon, there's a possibility of tendonitis, as the middle 3rd is removed. Tendonitis is also a possible byproduct after any knee procedure, as when they touch any part of the joint, it changes it. Knees are funny like that. Return to activity after a long layover? Tendonitis. After two YKW surgeries, I have it in one knee but not the other, and that one is where I was more active a bit quicker due to advancements in the surgery and rehab. Go figure.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And out of these ten how many have been major contributors????
The statement was that Geno hasn’t been recruiting bigs. Some have suggested Geno bring in whoever just because she’s tall but when he tries that, it has panned out. But to my point, Geno has indeed recruited big girls.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll play.

You and I have different definitions of true bigs I guess Nan. Amari would qualify if she was an actual player. Batouly a wonderful soul averaged .8 point and .3 rebounds as a senior transfer and she was brought in as a hope and a prayer. Same thing Adebayo. Piath a PROJECT that didn't work out. Aaliyah is doing the Conn thing of playing out of position because of need. ONO didn't want to be inside, relenting in her senior year. Ayanna, you're kidding. Ice maybe. Jana will be and she was a good get.

Dorka a genuine center and a blessing.

Really Nan, your list is a testament to the almost shambles of our bigs program over these years. Pains me to say it.

My first post was a little flip jab at Geno yelling at Paige. But he's not perfect and this center thing has been there for quite a while.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The reporter asked a question about Paige that I couldn't quite hear. Geno said...

"Paige...<pause>... um... I dunno. Maybe she's still rusty you know - maybe she's just not in game mode because she hasn't played in so long. Ah... I thought she was lousy today. Quite honestly, I thought she was BAD <emphasized the word>. And um... uh... I told her that. You know, Paige isn't good when it takes 7 dribbles to get her shot off. Paige isn't good when she's gotta take on guys 1 against 2... 1 against 3... going in the lane, you know. Forcing things hoping to get to the free throw line. That's not her game. That's not who she is. So, yeah, I'm chalking it up to she's still rusty. But yeah... no.... no she was not good."
Thanks Eric. I did not watch the game but only followed online and checked the stats. The stats, including Paige taking exactly 1 shot in the 2nd quarter, tell me Paige didn’t play well. I'll try to watch the game over the next couple of days.

I’m sure Geno is not putting the loss on Paige not playing well — very poor rebounding and turnovers were huge — but seems like his assessment of her play isn't wrong. He was asked a question about how Paige played and he answered truthfully, as he always does.

Was Geno simply giving an honest answer to a question posed by a reporter or did he also intend to send a message to Paige? I don't know for sure but I do know that this year's team now has the distinction of producing the lowest ranking for a UConn team in 30 years. It’s time to coach and play better, individually and collectively. It's also time for the NPOY candidate to play better and lead this team. It’s difficult to think of them as a FF team, but they can and should play much better and it starts with Paige. The injuries are sad and disappointing, but that should motivate the coaches and players. No more feeling sorry for themselves and that starts with the head coach and Azzi's best friend.

UConn greats of the past have not shied away from the responsibility of leading a team through tough times. Is it too much to ask of Paige this soon after returning from missing a season d/t ACL surgery? I guess we'll find out but Geno doesn't seem to think so and he has sent that message.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
IMHO, perhaps Geno was saying "lousy" as Paige wasn't doing what she does best. If a player tries to do too much or play in a way outside their comfort zone and force things, that is kinda lousy.

Reaction Score
You win as a team, you lose as a team. When a team wins it is never just one player who is responsible just as in losing. Every player who has ever played on any team has had bad days, good days, and great days. But the defining goal is for a player to have mostly good days. I am going to say something now that will infuriate many boneyarders but what I feel is only the truth. For almost thirty years Geno has more or less had his pick of four and five star players. In many instances they sought him out. This is no longer the norm. With the advent of more women coach's in the game I think these young ladies feel they can relate a little better. Hey, I might be wrong but that's just my opinion.
Read my response to @BobbyJ a few posts above yours. Very similar thought pattern. There is no reason for the truth to infuriate BoneYarders.

Reaction Score
In the presser after the Texas game, Geno stated that Paige played poorly. The question is was that fair? I believe he did so because he wanted to send a message to her.

Let me preface my comments by saying that Paige is my all-time favorite player. I am not critiquing her play. She has performed admirably after missing last season and the better part of the season prior. Expectations of what she is capable of are high, and maybe it's too much to expect a return to form so soon. I think it is reasonable to state that she hasn't reached her comfort level on the court yet, and the injuries to Azzi & Caroline appear to have had impact on her and the role she needs to assume.

Paige looks like she is carrying so much weight on her shoulders. I haven't seen much joy in her. Of course, playing for UConn and losing 3 times in the first 7 games won't produce a happy camper. I won't speculate how she feels physically, although for a superstar, she is roughed up and not protected by the refs. My concern is I think she is struggling with her role mentally. The dream of playing alongside Azzi was dashed, and now she's expected to pick up her lost production as well as Caroline's. I haven't seen the exuberance yet of her freshman season. Paige prefers to be a distributor, getting everyone involved and choosing to pick her spots to take over, but that has to change.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt she was subdued in the game against Minnesota. She started the game yesterday tentatively and didn't really look to be aggressive offensively. For this team to succeed, she has to take close to 20 shots, particularly against the top teams. She has to lead by example and then get her teammates to follow. There are too many first-year players and the only other reliable option is Aaliyah. The freshmen will be good, but it's a lot of pressure to carry, as Paige knows all to well. She can do it and handle it, and that is why Geno called her out
In the presser after the Texas game, Geno stated that Paige played poorly. The question is was that fair? I believe he did so because he wanted to send a message to her.

Let me preface my comments by saying that Paige is my all-time favorite player. I am not critiquing her play. She has performed admirably after missing last season and the better part of the season prior. Expectations of what she is capable of are high, and maybe it's too much to expect a return to form so soon. I think it is reasonable to state that she hasn't reached her comfort level on the court yet, and the injuries to Azzi & Caroline appear to have had impact on her and the role she needs to assume.

Paige looks like she is carrying so much weight on her shoulders. I haven't seen much joy in her. Of course, playing for UConn and losing 3 times in the first 7 games won't produce a happy camper. I won't speculate how she feels physically, although for a superstar, she is roughed up and not protected by the refs. My concern is I think she is struggling with her role mentally. The dream of playing alongside Azzi was dashed, and now she's expected to pick up her lost production as well as Caroline's. I haven't seen the exuberance yet of her freshman season. Paige prefers to be a distributor, getting everyone involved and choosing to pick her spots to take over, but that has to change.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt she was subdued in the game against Minnesota. She started the game yesterday tentatively and didn't really look to be aggressive offensively. For this team to succeed, she has to take close to 20 shots, particularly against the top teams. She has to lead by example and then get her teammates to follow. There are too many first-year players and the only other reliable option is Aaliyah. The freshmen will be good, but it's a lot of pressure to carry, as Paige knows all to well. She can do it and handle it, and that is why Geno called her out yesterday.

I don't care if she shoots 1-20 in a game, as long as she is aggressive. At least 10 of them should be deadly pull-up jumper, which so far is missing in action. I realize Paige seldom takes bad shots, but I can live with some forced ones, if only to draw more attention from the defense, thus opening space for other players, particularly Samuels & Shade when they are in the game.

Paige has always stated she will do what's necessary for the team to win. Well, this year it's necessary that she shoot more. The sooner she embraces her role, the sooner UConn as a team can begin to jell, and the sooner the joy comes back to her game.

I don't care if she shoots 1-20 in a game, as long as she is aggressive. At least 10 of them should be deadly pull-up jumper, which so far is missing in action. I realize Paige seldom takes bad shots, but I can live with some forced ones, if only to draw more attention from the defense, thus opening space for other players, particularly Samuels & Shade when they are in the game.

Paige has always stated she will do what's necessary for the team to win. Well, this year it's necessary that she shoot more. The sooner she embraces her role, the sooner UConn as a team can begin to jell, and the sooner the joy comes back to her game.
I don’t care if she shot 1-20… EXACTLY ! Play like Caitlyn, she will be even better !!!!

Reaction Score
Calling out your best player publicly is a gamble. I doubt Paige would react emotionally to that. but there is potential to have a negative effect from other players. The level of play so far this season is un-UConn like. Blame it on coaching, injuries, lack of on court chemistry, lack of talent or whatever else is going on. We'll see if the ship gets righted.

Reaction Score
To me, Paige looks sad or upset in most of her statements. Please, light your smile up!
I think she is as well. Mostly because of Aziz's injury. They are the best of friends and only played 16 games thus far.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You and I have different definitions of true bigs I guess Nan. Amari would qualify if she was an actual player. Batouly a wonderful soul averaged .8 point and .3 rebounds as a senior transfer and she was brought in as a hope and a prayer. Same thing Adebayo. Piath a PROJECT that didn't work out. Aaliyah is doing the Conn thing of playing out of position because of need. ONO didn't want to be inside, relenting in her senior year. Ayanna, you're kidding. Ice maybe. Jana will be and she was a good get.

Dorka a genuine center and a blessing.

Really Nan, your list is a testament to the almost shambles of our bigs program over these years. Pains me to say it.

My first post was a little flip jab at Geno yelling at Paige. But he's not perfect and this center thing has been there for quite a while.
Rocky, 6-5 girls are not the norm. The below list of top 100 players shows only two, and only 4 that are 6-4, so where is Geno supposed to find these tall women? He’s brought in projects, without success. Geno is also recruiting kids from outside the country. It’s not like he’s not trying but the pickings are slim.

Reaction Score
Sometimes having a really good big is not success . Being down to one junior big who can't play is not success. Jana's Achilles is unfortunate, but were we looking to her, a freshman, to be "the big"? Being analytical, the Gold Standard in WCBB has struggled in the bigs department. What should he have done differently? I don't have a clue, if for no other reason than I don't know what he has done.

If he and the staff have not been analysing this Bigs situation for the last decade and trying to adjust I would find that troubling.
You're naive if you think they haven't been. That's what they for a good part of the offseason and summer.

Reaction Score
Read the last three names I posted. I'm talking about the ones he did not get. Jones, Brink, and Wilson, all since 2017. What should he have done differently to get them? That's my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom