Geno Auriemma says UConn women's basketball will play at Lady Vols | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma says UConn women's basketball will play at Lady Vols

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But, I think that the UConn South Carolina rivalry will become even bigger. and longer-term.
All it lacks is the mutual dislike of the fan bases. ;)

For the most part, I think South Carolina and Connecticut fans appreciate each other's programs.

Reaction Score
All it lacks is the mutual dislike of the fan bases. ;)

For the most part, I think South Carolina and Connecticut fans appreciate each other's programs.
It is going to match the intensity, without the hate, which I think is a plus.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is going to match the intensity, without the hate, which I think is a plus.
That's how the Tennessee rivalry was in the early going, until Connecticut was getting the better of it.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Not thrilled with this news. Because of the venomous nastiness of some of their fans, I’d rather play just about any other team.
For years I have occasionally checked in on the Lady Vols forum. It seems to me that over time, the intensity of the "venom" directed at the Huskies in general, and Geno specifically, has decreased significantly. And there has always been, even among his worst detractors, begrudging respect.

When the news of the game was first announced, I went to the LV site and at least during the first 24 hours, there were no negative posts decrying Geno and how evil he is. The only negatives revolved around the fact that most Lady Vol fans who opined on the matter think their team is going to get smacked.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed. Not at all happy with this news. They don't deserve to play us.
clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

We need to play teams that are good enough that they help our strength of schedule, but maybe not quite as good as the murderers row we went through last year. Tennessee is right in that sweet spot.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
For years I have occasionally checked in on the Lady Vols forum. It seems to me that over time, the intensity of the "venom" directed at the Huskies in general, and Geno specifically, has decreased significantly. And there has always been, even among his worst detractors, begrudging respect.

When the news of the game was first announced, I went to the LV site and at least during the first 24 hours, there were no negative posts decrying Geno and how evil he is. The only negatives revolved around the fact that most Lady Vol fans who opined on the matter think their team is going to get smacked.
I read Volnation every day, and the attitude is still there, but the vial comments are few and far between. There are those who display their hate sometimes, but it is directed to how Geno interacted with Pat. These are the longtime fans who were there at the time, but it seems they do respect the program and its players. Right now they are wrapped up in their inability to attract High School talent. The portal is the only way they can field a team the last couple of years, but maybe their new coach can turn things around. They are our rival, but they are one of the WBB bluebloods and they deserve to come back to relevancy.
BTW, they don't think much of Shea. LOL

Reaction Score
It’s going to become more difficult to play such games late in the season because of P/4 larger schedules due to expansion.

I hope our “ rivalry” continues to be played in
Jan/ Feb.
It’s good for the game!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF's got nothing to do with it. GIF

We need to play teams that are good enough that they help our strength of schedule, but maybe not quite as good as the murderers row we went through last year. Tennessee is right in that sweet spot.
Deserve has EVERYTHING to do with it. And playing a fading also-ran SEC school isn't going to help very much. I'd rather our team not be sullied by playing such a dirty, evil team.

CL82

Reaction Score
Deserve has EVERYTHING to do with it. And playing a fading also-ran SEC school isn't going to help very much. I'd rather our team not be sullied by playing such a dirty, evil team.
I hear you. But that's what I think the answer is.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is one of the few teams not named Iowa (and who did not play Iowa) who drew a million plus viewers for one of its games last year ( vs Indiana). The Vols have a tv appeal.

Tennessee vs UConn is still a good TV draw. In these Post-Clark days, a team’s tv numbers are going to be important for TV contracts going forward. I won’t insult THE wbb program by saying that UConn “ needs” Tennessee, but I will say that the eyeballs will help.

Reaction Score
Three thoughts on this:

1. Now in a league with Texas, and Staley and Mulkey as coaches, the storied Tennessee program may actually need help staying relevant.

2. Maintaining the old UConn rivalry might help them stay relevant.

3. I would not be surprised if a bit of nostalgia motivates Auriemma to help them stay relevant.
After number 1 I thought your take was going to be totally different. I was thinking why would you want another almost automatic loss when you have three pretty tough opponents already on your calendar every year. Seems to me like this game is more important for UConn and only if Tennessee turns out to be a good team. I like their coach so maybe Tennessee will make a program resurgence.

Reaction Score
After number 1 I thought your take was going to be totally different. I was thinking why would you want another almost automatic loss when you have three pretty tough opponents already on your calendar every year. Seems to me like this game is more important for UConn and only if Tennessee turns out to be a good team. I like their coach so maybe Tennessee will make a program resurgence.
Well, they first have to establish that they are the fourth best program in the SEC. Oklahoma could block them from that positions for a few years, There's Beers, of course, but there are also a number of highly ranked prospects in Oklahoma the next few years. if the Vols can sty around the four spots, it's gonna take some top flight recruiting to catch the Top 3.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I see nothing positive in this play date with a team whose fans still spit vitriol, lies, and slander given the least opportunity. Beating them does nothing for UConn, beating the Huskies props this shaky program up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom