Geno Auriemma: Champions Are Not Born, They Are Made ...Here | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma: Champions Are Not Born, They Are Made ...Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just came across this. Had not seen it before. Couldn't find it posted on the board; apologies if it already has been.

But, it's pretty damn cool!

Since I didn't hear it---I accept the header for this thread and bits and pieces of Geno which appear to be repeats of his previous
lectures on what it takes to make a champion.
If his : Champions are made not born---to that I say---only partially true. Each Champion, with all the hard work, are working along side of players of talent who never become champions. The difference is native talent, drive, self discipline---to work with the hard work Geno demands. I suggest that the native talent, drive and self discipline is within the individual and born with them---take away the work no champion. Take away the talent--no champion. Ying and Yang--as mother said ---YOU can't have one without the other!!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
At Gampel, great to hear public address announcer somberly introduce the visitors.....then the lights go down, the video is played LOUDLY, and bedlam! UConn players introduced, place going crazy, and the visitors` bench is huddled tightly, trying to ignore it all.

What might the opponents be thinking? Possibly the following.......................

scotty.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this! Since we are snowbirds, we only get to see a few home games, and this intro is always so very moving. I love that it includes Sanaya. The UConn publicity team must have known that Geno planned her to have a critical role this year.

Reaction Score
Since I didn't hear it---I accept the header for this thread and bits and pieces of Geno which appear to be repeats of his previous
lectures on what it takes to make a champion.
If his : Champions are made not born---to that I say---only partially true. Each Champion, with all the hard work, are working along side of players of talent who never become champions. The difference is native talent, drive, self discipline---to work with the hard work Geno demands. I suggest that the native talent, drive and self discipline is within the individual and born with them---take away the work no champion. Take away the talent--no champion. Ying and Yang--as mother said ---YOU can't have one without the other!!
upload_2016-12-24_8-54-57.png

Of course access to talent is required. As the old saying goes, "You ain't winnin' the Kentucky on Pony Boy." OK, perhaps it's more of a saying I just made up, but my point is every coach has access to the same talent. I know, I know, "in theory" they have access to the same talent. But where was Storrs, Connecticut on the "in theory" recruiting spectrum in 1985? Recruiting is part of building a champion. Those who can't recruit don't build champions.

Fast forward to 2016-17. How many other programs have realistic access to talent equivalent to UConn's? A dozen? Two dozen? More? When was the last time any of them won 11 championships? Build it and they will come.

Reaction Score
One of the many reasons that I am a BIG fan of UConn WCBB basketball is because it reminds me of the USA military academies (USAF, West Point & Anapolis), of which I am an alumnus (USAFA '67) and my step-son is also (USMA '97). There we had many a saying, but here's one: "There are no problems, only opportunities to excel." That's like the 2016-2017 team which lost the "Big 3" to graduation. They are excelling.

Reaction Score
View attachment 17924
Of course access to talent is required. As the old saying goes, "You ain't winnin' the Kentucky on Pony Boy." OK, perhaps it's more of a saying I just made up, but my point is every coach has access to the same talent. I know, I know, "in theory" they have access to the same talent. But where was Storrs, Connecticut on the "in theory" recruiting spectrum in 1985? Recruiting is part of building a champion. Those who can't recruit don't build champions.

Fast forward to 2016-17. How many other programs have realistic access to talent equivalent to UConn's? A dozen? Two dozen? More? When was the last time any of them won 11 championships? Build it and they will come.

Not much to argue with here---however, let me point out: In 1980/90's maybe 8 -10 schools had "access" to talent. Geno built his program with those that didn't go to Tn, LSU, Stanford, UCLA--he broke through the "glass ceiling" of WBB by producing a product that beat the top dog--Tenn. It wasn't that ONE beating that did it---Geno built a program on fundamentals, Conditioning, making pretty good talent in to greater talent--and DEFENSE--DEFENSE--
ANYONE CAN DO IT---it takes dedication from the coaches, institutions, players, parents--it takes really hard work--it takes attention to fundamentals, Defense, Conditioning, and dedication. ANY TEAM CAN DO IT. But the won't --why?? Geno is a motivator and keeps that motivation going for 12 months a year--try it --it isn't easy. It's not because other teams CAN"T--they WON"T .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not much to argue with here---however, let me point out: In 1980/90's maybe 8 -10 schools had "access" to talent. Geno built his program with those that didn't go to Tn, LSU, Stanford, UCLA--he broke through the "glass ceiling" of WBB by producing a product that beat the top dog--Tenn. It wasn't that ONE beating that did it---Geno built a program on fundamentals, Conditioning, making pretty good talent in to greater talent--and DEFENSE--DEFENSE--
ANYONE CAN DO IT---it takes dedication from the coaches, institutions, players, parents--it takes really hard work--it takes attention to fundamentals, Defense, Conditioning, and dedication. ANY TEAM CAN DO IT. But the won't --why?? Geno is a motivator and keeps that motivation going for 12 months a year--try it --it isn't easy. It's not because other teams CAN"T--they WON"T .

A couple of seasons ago at a big meeting of coaches Geno bluntly said it ain't rocket science but very many coaches are lazy and just settle. But we also know that there are a significant number of very good coaches with high motivation that just have to break through to a school which can attract 4 and 5 star athletes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A couple of seasons ago at a big meeting of coaches Geno bluntly said it ain't rocket science but very many coaches are lazy and just settle.
I am quoting you, but not 'picking on you' with the following comment:
This is to me the fallacy that gets repeated and is not dissimilar to the 'we aren't tough enough' or 'we need to play harder' lines coaches spew after losses.

No - not anyone can do it, in fact probably no one can do what Geno and CD have done or what any other coaching legend in any other sport does. It isn't about the hours and the effort from coaches and players - I am sure there are coaches across the country putting in more hours and more effort than Geno and CD, and players spending more hours in the gym and weight room than the Uconn players. Yes you need the hours and the effort, but much more importantly you need the eye and the mind - and they aren't handing those out for free. And you need the psychology and the teaching skills, and those are pretty rare as well.

What separates Uconn from the pack is not effort or talent, but the intelligently focused and motivated application of those traits. And no one does it better than Geno and CD, and whichever assistants they choose to cultivate in their art. And at the level they perform, it is similar to great artists, or Nobel laureates. That 'magic' cannot just be taught and it certainly can't be copied.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What separates Uconn from the pack is not effort or talent, but the intelligently focused and motivated application of those traits. And no one does it better than Geno and CD, and whichever assistants they choose to cultivate in their art. And at the level they perform, it is similar to great artists, or Nobel laureates. That 'magic' cannot just be taught and it certainly can't be copied.

In my comment I did not mean to imply that if some lazy coaches got off their duffs they could do what Geno rolls out year after year. Geno was saying that too many settled for mediocrity. It is his observation, not mine. Without question, Geno and CD are a team that has become hands down the most accomplished coaches and their assistants are extremely talented. I wholehearted concur in your observations about their level of performance.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am quoting you, but not 'picking on you' with the following comment:
This is to me the fallacy that gets repeated and is not dissimilar to the 'we aren't tough enough' or 'we need to play harder' lines coaches spew after losses.

No - not anyone can do it, in fact probably no one can do what Geno and CD have done or what any other coaching legend in any other sport does. It isn't about the hours and the effort from coaches and players - I am sure there are coaches across the country putting in more hours and more effort than Geno and CD, and players spending more hours in the gym and weight room than the Uconn players. Yes you need the hours and the effort, but much more importantly you need the eye and the mind - and they aren't handing those out for free. And you need the psychology and the teaching skills, and those are pretty rare as well.

Spot on! This post belongs in the mythical BY Hall of Fame!

If you look at both teams at the end of a game, you'll note that the losers are as sweaty as the winners. What separates them is not the amount of effort. What separates UConn from the pack is the blend of coaching wisdom with a Marine Corps level of will and grit.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In my comment I did not mean to imply that if some lazy coaches got off their duffs they could do what Geno rolls out year after year. Geno was saying that too many settled for mediocrity. It is his observation, not mine. Without question, Geno and CD are a team that has become hands down the most accomplished coaches and their assistants are extremely talented. I wholehearted concur in your observations about their level of performance.
Agree - and I know it was Geno himself you were quoting - just that it is one of those things that I think he downplays.

Reaction Score
A couple of seasons ago at a big meeting of coaches Geno bluntly said it ain't rocket science but very many coaches are lazy and just settle. But we also know that there are a significant number of very good coaches with high motivation that just have to break through to a school which can attract 4 and 5 star athletes.

At times I'm not Geno's biggest fan or even a fan of GENO. However, he looks into his own soul, abilities, persona better than most psychologists would attempt to do. He has said for many years--being a top coach begin with recruiting top players. Or the key to success is to recruit the best. That didn't/doesn't tell the whole story. But I believe he is accurate in that many other (below the top 15 or so rated schools) that are downright lazy. Even some top 10 coaches would rather be popular than hold their team to proper performances.
Thank Rocky for the Rocket Science quote!!!!
Merry Christmas!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
At times I'm not Geno's biggest fan or even a fan of GENO. However, he looks into his own soul, abilities, persona better than most psychologists would attempt to do. He has said for many years--being a top coach begin with recruiting top players. Or the key to success is to recruit the best. That didn't/doesn't tell the whole story. But I believe he is accurate in that many other (below the top 15 or so rated schools) that are downright lazy. Even some top 10 coaches would rather be popular than hold their team to proper performances.
Thank Rocky for the Rocket Science quote!!!!
Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom