Geno Advocating for Major Change...[merged thread] | The Boneyard

Geno Advocating for Major Change...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Geno is the best HC in College Basketball and the Spokesperson in my opinion for WCB!!

Texas and San Antonio would love the Final Four statement! So would Caldwell from San Antonio, Turner from Texas and Mo UCONN:)
As a UCONN and Geno fan,I love that Geno speaks up for WCB,more than any other Coach!

Thank God we have Geno and no one else does;)
Ira

Reaction Score
As usual there is a lot to support what Geno says....and in other areas I think his statements go against the facts.

One thing I think he's wrong on, not rotating the Final Four sites. And why San Antonio every year? In 2010, the entire upper sections of the Dome were blocked off with blue curtains. Meanwhile a fresh city like Denver was sold out and embraced the event. There are some very odd selections of cities to host. I have no idea why Indianapolis was selected to host again so soon in 2016 when they did not sell out in 2011. And Tampa again in 2015? Is their a huge WCBB fan base in Florida I don't know about? Nashville next year make sense but why not go to Seattle who has embraced womens basketball with the Storm? Or the Bay Area with a large LGT community and Stanford? I don't agree with Geno that it should be held in 1 city only and I think the success of Denver last year shows that. But they must do a better job identifying cities. Why hasn't Boston been selected again? It did a great job last time and if UConn were to make it we would bring a ton of fans.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The Indianapolis answer is easy—that's the home of the NCAA (since 1999), so it will be in Indy every fifth year or so. (Same for the men.)

Reaction Score
It's one thing to stir the pot (a Geno specialty) and another thing to think it through. I'd like to see the look on Geno's face if the NCAA permanently fixed the Regional Championship venues and settled on the Eastern Regionals at the Yum! Center in Louisville.

If his object is to p1ss off UConn fans, he's made a good start.

Reaction Score
Geno is the best HC in College Basketball and the Spokesperson in my opinion for WCB!!

Magical, with all due respect to you and Geno who I consider one of the best if not the best coaches in all of basketball, there is absolutely NO WAY that Geno (a male) is or should be THE spokesperson for WCB. This is part of the problem with Women's athletics in general...they in large part are run by men...or pushed under the rug at many schools by men's athletic programs.

Women need to take control of their sport(s) and make the changes to improve and evolve their games. However, props to Geno for getting the ball rolling. It's been a slow process but more and more women have been making their way into higher ranking administrative positions and coaching spots. But just when they get a little momentum, the "good ol boy, male chauvinst pig crowd" makes a stand to protect their turf (see University of Tennessee situation).

For the record, I am a male.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Magical, with all due respect to you and Geno who I consider one of the best if not the best coaches in all of basketball, there is absolutely NO WAY that Geno (a male) is or should be THE spokesperson for WCB. This is part of the problem with Women's athletics in general...they in large part are run by men...or pushed under the rug at many schools by men's athletic programs.

Women need to take control of their sport(s) and make the changes to improve and evolve their games. However, props to Geno for getting the ball rolling. It's been a slow process but more and more women have been making their way into higher ranking administrative positions and coaching spots. But just when they get a little momentum, the "good ol boy, male chauvinst pig crowd" makes a stand to protect their turf (see University of Tennessee situation).

You may have to turn in your man card. :cool:

Reaction Score

Stray I understand what you are saying completely! IMHO he does speak up more than anyone else! After more than a quarter of a century,he is because of his accomplishments the #1 Coach in Womens Basketball! He is not a member IMHO of that crowd!

Do Women need to speak up more,take control of their sports and make changes to improve and evolve their games? I agree totally! "The ol boy,male chauvinist pig crowd" which still exhists in every aspect of our life fighting to protect their turf I abhore and agree it exists! Geno,who happens to be a male, is not a member of that group and speaks up in all areas for Equal Rights! CD* has been his partner from the beginning to this day at UCONN! His Coaching staff has always reflected this!

I know you are not suggesting,he step down because he is male! Nor do I believe you want Geno to not speak up! I hope we agree that Women in all areas of life should be allowed/supported to be leaders, including womens basketball!

We need to do this in the USA which is a much larger arena! Progress has slowly occurred and needs to be supported,protected,and dramatically increased towards that end! The 2 are intermingled in destroying that
good old boys network!

For the record I am a male also
Ira

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I agree on the shot clock.

Lower the rim? Heck, I thought Geno was going to say bring back the full size basketball as opposed to the one women have been using in college for the last 30 years.

Don't agree at all on the rim at all. Although I do realize there are many that would encourage a change like this.

Reaction Score
... Lower the rim? Heck, I thought Geno was going to say bring back the full size basketball as opposed to the one women have been using in college for the last 30 years ....
Why don't they try a cube-shaped basketball? That would bring in the crowds, for sure.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree on the shot clock.

Lower the rim? Heck, I thought Geno was going to say bring back the full size basketball as opposed to the one women have been using in college for the last 30 years.

Don't agree at all on the rim at all. Although I do realize there are many that would encourage a change like this.

I don't agree about the rim either but it is a logical suggestion paralleling women's volleyball's lower net height. If dunking and above the rim play is considered essential for gaining a bigger audience it follows.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno has a solution to your problem, too. Stray cats can be fixed in about 20 minutes.
I think your reference is to busting not fixing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You're a little too far forward on what he is usually busting. Try the other end.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just for the record: Geno has long been in favor of using the same basketball as the men.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This is a good topic and might be worth its own thread.

While I see your point, I could not disagree more. Geno is great spokesman because he represents excellance in the sport. Even people who are not fans of WCBB recognize all that Connecticut has done and Geno's wise guy personality may very well play to that crowd. (As an aside my daughter plays AAU basketball. It is surprising to me see how many teams call themselves the Huskies - and we don't live in Connecticut.) As WCBB's best active coach, and one of the best ever, he's a natural spokesman for the sport. I don't see how his gender diminishes that or his message.

That said, his notion of lowering the rim is would be counter productive. I hear men's CBB fans saying "well they play with a smaller ball" as a way to dismiss the woman's game. Shorter rims would further marginalize it. Go to the full size ball and leave the rims where there are. The athleticism of WCBB has jumped leaps and bounds since Geno came to UConn. It will continue to do so. If that means watching a game with more ball movement and less isolations and dunks, I can live with it.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...es-coach-thinks-rims-lowered-women-basketball

ncw_u_geno_65.jpg
What makes fans not want to watch women's basketball is that some of the players can't shoot and they miss layups and that forces the game to slow down.
” -- UConn coach Geno Auriemm

Reaction Score
I thought it was an interesting article. Geno has ideas and he isn't shy about sharing them. At first his ideas may seem a little radical, but the more you think about them, the more sense they make.

mr006

Reaction Score
Lowering the rims would indeed make things worse. If "some of the players can't shoot and they miss layups", don't make it easier for them, make them learn how to make layups - or don't take layups He compares the men's and women's volleyball, which may be true, but neither of those got much attention until beach volleyball, when most of the men are not looking at the height of the nets (or the slam-dunk action it enables, I suspect). Similarly with baseball/softball, the few attempts at women's baseball have not taken. For that matter, soccer was briefly a big thing in the US in the Pele years, but now it has settled down into a fairly popular kids' sport, but still only a marginal pro sport. Thus it's likely that women's basketball will probably never catch on as a major sport nationwide, and that there is a large portion of America that is not going to ever accept it. Nothing says that every sport has to or should grow. Using the same size ball would at least give detractors one less thing to complain about. As for 2002, consider the team that won that year, one of the greatest collection of players on one team. Of course women's basketball hasn't recovered - UConn basketball hasn't been quite the same since then either. Larger ball? OK. Different days for the Final Four? Changes in the process for FF sites? 24 second clock, backcourt time line? Nice to try, maybe they will improve the game, but don't expect tons of fans to hop on the bandwagon - it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Lower the rims and someone will immediately file a suit to get half of the fixed baskets in the country;s playgrounds lowered to allow for "equal access". So we'll have the men squeezing onto half the number of courts while the other half gets underutilized.

Reaction Score
I tried lowering the rims on my car when my daughters ask to drive it, but they won't use my elliptical tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom