General Jefferson and some thoughts on yesterdays game | The Boneyard

General Jefferson and some thoughts on yesterdays game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a great game. As Ive said before this UConn team looks almost 100% and theyre clicking. Theyre getting better every game. The freshman have graduated and are playing great. Watching our little water bug at the point " General Jefferson" taking charge and Tuck doing her damage inside and can that girl finish WOW. Then Breanna who just seemed to show up on defense like Superwomen flying through the air blocking shots grabbing rebounds and knocking down some great outside shots followed up by great drives to the basket. Our freshman class and KML accounted for most of our points...something to think about for next year.

UConn showed its dominance yesterday againest a very good MD team. MD is a very good team. Big and physical. For those of you who missed the game there will be plenty of seats as many of the MD and UD fans were trying to sell their tickets. Its a whole different experience watching the game in person then on tv although I did tape it to watch it again.

From the start it was very apparent this was a different UConn team then we've seem a couple of weeks ago. Especially the underclassman. This team is almost 100%. Stef is still limping a little and Bria is still up and down with her outside shot but looks really good on defense and moving the ball from the point. Still I think our freshman will see alot of time down the road.

General Jefferson showed she can run this team with confidence and energy. Thats a big plus going into tomorrow nites game with UK. UK has great pressure defense especially on the ball...however our little General places more pressure on the ball and can electrify UConns defense with her aggresssive play...much like the energizer bunny. She does things Ive only dreamed about seeing.

Yesterday it was very apparent that this UConn team is at a different level. I only see Baylor giving them a run and if UConn can limit Griner then they will win another NC. Baylors defense will be tested againest UConn. UConn has too many options and 3 go to players in KML Stef and Breanna. Everybody else can put up double diget points without a problem. UConn is playing up a couple of knoches then they were a couple of weeks ago. Some fans said yesterday I hope we can keep this up againest ND. I had an answer for that. We will get better game after game. ND will not see the same team they faced during the season. UConn is playing at a level that is devastating to opponets.

When you look at the improvement on this team Stef is moblie and can shoot the trey, uses both hands around the rim and dosnt foul..much. KML becoming a complete player and adding a pull up game and inside game. Kelly knocking down shots and our freshman playing at a level beyond their years. It is mind boggleing to me why every reruit in the country dosnt want to be a part of what weve have been watching for years...the most dominat team, the program that is feared and looked up to by every team in America UConn Womens Basketball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony: Completely agree, made some similar points in a post on a different thread.
One additional point: win, lose or draw, this is an entertaining team.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I think yesterday was the most entertaining day of basketball I have had... Both games were terrific. The Delaware fans were great coming up to support their team and to their credit stayed for the first half of our game... I hope we are full tomorrow night...

Reaction Score
I think we have a decent chance for the NC, but only if Stef is able.

I totally agree Sonny44 that Dolson is the X factor. Lets face I it there is pretty much zero chance that we get the same dominant Stef that we saw pretty much all year. But if she is able to play solid D, rebound, make a layup when its there, and pass well out of the high post that is all we need. If we can manage to beat Kentucky it will give Stef 6 days to get healthier.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I liked Jefferson's energy. I liked her drives to the basket but would like to see her demonstrate the ability to hit a pull-up jumper. It will be hard for her to get those looks against teams with a strong post presence.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
S
What a great game. As Ive said before this UConn team looks almost 100% and theyre clicking. Theyre getting better every game. The freshman have graduated and are playing great. Watching our little water bug at the point " General Jefferson" taking charge and Tuck doing her damage inside and can that girl finish WOW. Then Breanna who just seemed to show up on defense like Superwomen flying through the air blocking shots grabbing rebounds and knocking down some great outside shots followed up by great drives to the basket. Our freshman class and KML accounted for most of our points...something to think about for next year.

UConn showed its dominance yesterday againest a very good MD team. MD is a very good team. Big and physical. For those of you who missed the game there will be plenty of seats as many of the MD and UD fans were trying to sell their tickets. Its a whole different experience watching the game in person then on tv although I did tape it to watch it again.

From the start it was very apparent this was a different UConn team then we've seem a couple of weeks ago. Especially the underclassman. This team is almost 100%. Stef is still limping a little and Bria is still up and down with her outside shot but looks really good on defense and moving the ball from the point. Still I think our freshman will see alot of time down the road.

General Jefferson showed she can run this team with confidence and energy. Thats a big plus going into tomorrow nites game with UK. UK has great pressure defense especially on the ball...however our little General places more pressure on the ball and can electrify UConns defense with her aggresssive play...much like the energizer bunny. She does things Ive only dreamed about seeing.

Yesterday it was very apparent that this UConn team is at a different level. I only see Baylor giving them a run and if UConn can limit Griner then they will win another NC. Baylors defense will be tested againest UConn. UConn has too many options and 3 go to players in KML Stef and Breanna. Everybody else can put up double diget points without a problem. UConn is playing up a couple of knoches then they were a couple of weeks ago. Some fans said yesterday I hope we can keep this up againest ND. I had an answer for that. We will get better game after game. ND will not see the same team they faced during the season. UConn is playing at a level that is devastating to opponets.

When you look at the improvement on this team Stef is moblie and can shoot the trey, uses both hands around the rim and dosnt foul..much. KML becoming a complete player and adding a pull up game and inside game. Kelly knocking down shots and our freshman playing at a level beyond their years. It is mind boggleing to me why every reruit in the country dosnt want to be a part of what weve have been watching for years...the most dominat team, the program that is feared and looked up to by every team in America UConn Womens Basketball.

Tony, your optimism re Stef is not realistic. She has some injuries that cannot be repaired, rejuvenated, or magically healed in 48 hours, or in a week. Her mobility will be seriously diminished. Stewie and Morgan will have to play
extraordinary games for UConn to beat ND or Baylor.

I think we have enough weapons to beat Kentucky with minimum help from Stef; and with MoJeff playing like she did yesterday (which I think she will do).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm not say "we're dooooomed" but we're not going to be 100% without a healthy Stef Dolson. She can't run the floor as normal and I think the injuries are also taking away from her aggressiveness in the post, particularly on defense. (There's actually a silver lining there bc she isn't risking as many fouls.)

Having said that, the frosh are at another level from where they were, so the outer envelope of what the team can be has increased.

Really pumped to see the frosh playing so well. If we could get more players to aggressively back people down like Morgan does, we would be much better at exploiting our size, because our entries aren't always great. We need more of that kind of initiative.

Beat Kentucky!!!!!!!!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I agree with Olde Coach. We just aren't the same without Stef, and she is not going to get better with this stuff in 6 days, or even, maybe in 6 weeks. We have to try to be Kentucky and then slog away at ND, but keep thinking about next year. Then too, we are going to need Stef to be 100 percent, and she needs time to heal from this stuff. It is very serious. I think that Bria's problems developed because she came back too fast, and it pretty much ruined her this year. Winning is one thing; but harm to the players is another. I am confident the coaches and medical staff will put the players first. A game matters, sure, but it's really just a game, after all.
This also points to something I've harped on too much (and I apologize); but here I go again. We must recruit a center for when Stef graduates.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I liked Jefferson's energy. I liked her drives to the basket but would like to see her demonstrate the ability to hit a pull-up jumper. It will be hard for her to get those looks against teams with a strong post presence.
Since when does Maryland not have a strong post presence?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
S

Tony, your optimism re Stef is not realistic. She has some injuries that cannot be repaired, rejuvenated, or magically healed in 48 hours, or in a week. Her mobility will be seriously diminished. Stewie and Morgan will have to play
extraordinary games for UConn to beat ND or Baylor.

I think we have enough weapons to beat Kentucky with minimum help from Stef; and with MoJeff playing like she did yesterday (which I think she will do).
OC knowing what I know now, Im hoping Stef can be effective againest UK tomorrow nite. Im also hoping she can play well enough for us to beat ND/Duke winner. She will be riding the pine once we get a big lead and I expect Morgan and Kiah to see some action. Possbile Tenn UConn final.

Reaction Score
Loved MoJeff's game. She's been building up to this kind of performance for a few games now. She certainly looks like a point guard. That said, the Stef injury is potentially disastrous. She has to get through the KY game, where she will be tested a lot. Even if Geno can sub Morgan Tuck (looking better and better each game) and Kiah (who certainly knows her stuff on defense), so much offense runs through Stef that the team is very different without her. And if Uconn wins vs. KY, what's next? Notre Dame, maybe? That's an exhausting game for any UConn center, even when operating at 100%

Reaction Score
I agree with Olde Coach. We just aren't the same without Stef, and she is not going to get better with this stuff in 6 days, or even, maybe in 6 weeks. We have to try to be Kentucky and then slog away at ND, but keep thinking about next year. Then too, we are going to need Stef to be 100 percent, and she needs time to heal from this stuff. It is very serious. I think that Bria's problems developed because she came back too fast, and it pretty much ruined her this year. Winning is one thing; but harm to the players is another. I am confident the coaches and medical staff will put the players first. A game matters, sure, but it's really just a game, after all.
This also points to something I've harped on too much (and I apologize); but here I go again. We must recruit a center for when Stef graduates.
I thought Bria was doing ok after the first injury, but that second one really got her. Especially since it was the same ankle.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The thing with Uconn though is that all the posts have very good midrange games so if they are out at the free throw line, the lane is more open for driving layups. And with a player as small as Mo, the pull-up can be blocked from behind, but no one is catching her on the drive with her speed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wonder about the gloomy prognosis for Stef being stated here. She is dealing with a number of different issues so it is hard to tell. The only one we really know about is the stress fracture on the non-loadbearing shin bone. I think that is probably very painful, but not very debilitating. She is also dealing with knee and ankle issues to one or more legs and I think those are the ones causing her to limp yesterday. The stress fracture will not heal until after the season is over. The other issues may respond much more quickly to treatment, especially if she can be played sparingly against KY and does not further aggravate them. And defensively against KY, Morgan and Kiah might be better options anyway if Stef is slowed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They will not be able to keep Stef off the court. She won't be denied unless Geno sends her home. She is Zena, Warrior Princess.

Reaction Score
They will not be able to keep Stef off the court. She won't be denied unless Geno sends her home. She is Zena the warrior.

If we can get past Kentucky and Notre Dame, I think we could beat Cal, LSU, or Tennessee with Stef having to play limited minutes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They will not be able to keep Stef off the court. She won't be denied unless Geno sends her home. She is Zena, Warrior Princess.
Xena. Why oh why did this ever end?:cool:

Xena-Dangerous-Prey-Season-6-xena-warrior-princess-1213297_912_1200.jpg

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We know about another: "Ragle said Dolson has a fibula stress fracture in her lower right leg, plantar fasciitis in her left leg and a left foot issue, for which she wears a foot..."

Reaction Score
Maryland basically leads the nation in rebound differential, seems like they have a pretty good post presence. But I do agree I would also love to see MoJeff hit those little 10 - 12 foot jumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom