General discussion | The Boneyard

General discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Now that we have our guy on board, who do you think he lands for 2019, and/or what is your ideal/realistic recruiting class?

Reaction Score
Happy to focus on anyone in the top 100 as long as we have a few in the top 40. After that we’re setting ourselves up for failure.
Recruiting rankings don’t matter, most years there isn’t much that separate kids not ranked in the top 25. Ive seen a lot of kids who were unranked but out played “Top 100” kids. Luckily good coaches know how to spot talent and they still went D1, but most rankings come down to AAU which is sad because AAU ball is a terrible measurement tool for prospective college athletes.

Reaction Score
@tcf15 put this together that shows where we can expect recruiting to go for 2019

This is probably a good start for a list but wouldn't this list change a lot based on Hurley saying with the UConn name he expects to recruit at a different level than URI? I'll be curious to see how things go on the recruiting trail this spring and summer.

Reaction Score
Now that we have Hurley, a Saint Benedicts connection. I want Lester Quinones 6'5 wing Lights out shooter, high basketball IQ, likely 4 year player.

Lester Quinones, St Benedict's Preparatory School, Shooting Guard

No question about it, we need to be recruiting St. Benedict's hard and maybe thanks to Hurley we can get Precious Achiuwa who is a top 10 player 5 star recruit from St. Benedict's. We need an elite wing in the 2019 class, and this guy is as good it as gets for the 2019 class.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need bullies
We need a lot of things. One thing I think we have been sorely missing for the last 4 years though is basketball IQ, kids with pedigree, coaches sons, etc. I was watching Villanova the other day and thinking this team isn't that much better than the teams they're playing. They're just a lot smarter.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We need a lot of things. One thing I think we have been sorely missing for the last 4 years though is basketball IQ, kids with pedigree, coaches sons, etc. I was watching Villanova the other day and thinking this team isn't that much better than the teams they're playing. They're just a lot smarter.
Nova may be smart but they have 6 guys who are extremely talented and would be stars on any team including Duke. Kansas and with the Squid

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@tcf15 put this together that shows where we can expect recruiting to go for 2019

Jalen Lecque is my most wanted player in this class. Kid flies.

So just from looking at that list, the three players I'd most want would be;

1. Lecque
2. Cockburn
3. Akok

PG: Gilbert/Lecque
SG: Vital/Lecque
SF: Wilson/Polley/Mathews
PF: Diarra/Whaley/Akok
C: Carlton/Cockburn/Kisunas

We'd still need another pure PG, and a lot will change need wise depending on transfers/surprise declarations.

Reaction Score
And rim protectors.

Dimon carrigan FTW

Or a guy like Krutwig who won’t block shots but can guard the post up guys and can play some offense too. And he will only get better since he’s a freshman. A kid who just knows how to play the game.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Truth be told, I'd love to combine Akok with Cockburn.

Akok as a springy a 4-man.

And you have to love this write up on Cockburn.

Basketball Recruiting - Kofi Cockburn - Player Profiles - ESPN

"Cockburn is an almost unmatched physical presence....... He's broad and powerful, equally aggressive, and just a monster inside in the most complimentary way possible."

Reaction Score
Truth be told, I'd love to combine Akok with Cockburn.

Akok as a springy a 4-man.

And you have to love this write up on Cockburn.

Basketball Recruiting - Kofi Cockburn - Player Profiles - ESPN

"Cockburn is an almost unmatched physical presence.. He's broad and powerful, equally aggressive, and just a monster inside in the most complimentary way possible."

Just not sure if I can handle Akok with Cockburn, especially a springy one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was hoping for an uptick in recruiting news but I did a quick search and see that we're approaching a Dead Period (Mar 29 - April 5). Couple that with the fact that he obviously needs some time to get his bearings, re-recruit the current team and solidify his staff – we're probably looking at a quiet period for the next two'ish weeks.

On April 5th @ 12pm a new Live Period starts. Presumably thats when a lot of the summer circuits will be starting up (a guess). I'm very excited to see where Coach Hurley and staff end up.

Anyone have any predictions on what tourneys our known targets are playing in?

ref: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_MensBasketballRecruitingCalendar_20170619.pdf

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We need bullies
Kwintin & Mamadou are bullies. Under DH they'll actually play.

I think Cobb & Kisunas are as well, but my expectations are low for the former and two years away for the latter.

I'm also interested in seeing what a summer in the weight room can do for Carlton. Hopefully he'll be wearing out colors when it's done.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I was hoping for an uptick in recruiting news but I did a quick search and see that we're approaching a Dead Period (Mar 29 - April 5). Couple that with the fact that he obviously needs some time to get his bearings, re-recruit the current team and solidify his staff – we're probably looking at a quiet period for the next two'ish weeks.

On April 5th @ 12pm a new Live Period starts. Presumably thats when a lot of the summer circuits will be starting up (a guess). I'm very excited to see where Coach Hurley and staff end up.

Anyone have any predictions on what tourneys our known targets are playing in?

ref: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18DIREC_MensBasketballRecruitingCalendar_20170619.pdf

Ua circuit and EYBL start in april. We'll know the staffs priorities then

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kwintin & Mamadou are bullies. Under DH they'll actually play.

I think Cobb & Kisunas are as well, but my expectations are low for the former and two years away for the latter.

I'm also interested in seeing what a summer in the weight room can do for Carlton. Hopefully he'll be wearing out colors when it's done.
I’m not just talking about size, I’m talking mentality. Adrien, freeman and Saunders, stix, okafor, kemba, kea, moore, etc. didn’t take any crap, bullied them, and backed up their talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom