Gators offer one armed kid preferred walk on status | The Boneyard

Gators offer one armed kid preferred walk on status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"A preferred walk-on doesn’t receive a scholarship, but he doesn’t have to try out to make the team; he’d be guaranteed a spot on the roster."

Nice! Florida does have continual post season history, giving this kid a real nice experience playing college ball. He may see the court very little but he shouldn't care, as this gesture legitimizes him.

Reaction Score
Manhattan College has a 6'10" Center with one hand too. He was given a scholarship a few years ago. I'm not sure how he turned out, but I remember the story.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He can probably play D2 or maybe even low/mid D1. I'm sure this kid loves to play basketball so why sit on the bench at UF?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He can probably play D2 or maybe even low/mid D1. I'm sure this kid loves to play basketball so why sit on the bench at UF?
Same thing could be said about 50% of major div 1 players. Apparently practicing and being on the bench of a "high major" is favorable to some kids.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Same thing could be said about 50% of major div 1 players. Apparently practicing and being on the bench of a "high major" is favorable to some kids.

I get your point, and I considered it when I wrote my comment. The difference, to me, is that this kid knows (or should know) he's not playing pro ball, at least not in the US. (I mean, clearly this kid has heard a lot of "you can't do this" and proved otherwise, but I'm assuming he knows that Jim Abbott was the last one-armed successful American pro.) 90% of two-armed D1 players think they can make the NBA or at least start on their team, but I would think this guy knows he's not going to start in the ACC. So if I'm this kid and I'm harboring dreams of continuing my career, I play ball somewhere where I can crack the rotation.

Just my $0.02. Like I said, this kid has broken through plenty of barriers, so nobody can tell him what's possible or impossible.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Very inspirational story. I hope Florida has a few blowouts this year where he can see some time on the court.

Reaction Score
One is probably ok. But if they let three or four armed kids walk on, practices will become dangerous.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I was simply going to "like" Hoophound's post but then realized I wanted to call you a too.

Be honest, couldn't your entire sex life be considered a "kid with one arm"?

Reaction Score

Ha! It's just the P.C. (not that kinda P.C.) way of saying it. Saying he is a "one armed kid" gives the impression that his sole identity is that he is one armed where as "kid with one arm" shows that he is a kid first...who happens to have one arm. Sorry I'm a teacher.

Reaction Score
Ha! It's just the P.C. (not that kinda P.C.) way of saying it. Saying he is a "one armed kid" gives the impression that his sole identity is that he is one armed where as "kid with one arm" shows that he is a kid first...who happens to have one arm. Sorry I'm a teacher.

Wow I actually learned something on the Yard I can apply in real life. Unfortunately though, my circle of associates don't give a .

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Very well put, Boat. Makes me feel bad for criticizing your last post.

I searched "one armed kid" and came up with this...

2550710284_6c70a89a3e_z.jpg

If she puts on a few pounds of muscle I can see this kid being a valuable 3 off the bench.

6 Hooves In!

Reaction Score
Regardless, kid is an unbelievable talent. I kept trying to figure out how he gets his shots off but he does it so quick I don't even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom