Gandy Malou-Mamel article | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou-Mamel article

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Clearly they read the BY LOL

That the Huskies recently recruited a relatively unknown teenage girl from Munster proved even more intriguing and sent people scampering to Google the name Gandy Malou-Mamel.

Everyone seems to realize she's raw and hasn't played that long. It will be fascinating to see how she develops...

National coach James Weldon hadn’t even heard of her until alerted, by a friend in America, to the UConn deal.

He is at pains to stress how young she is and that he’s primarily brought her in acclimatise to the standard and culture of his senior team whose next major competition, the 2025 Eurobasket Qualifiers, starts on November 5-13.

But he will still struggle to quench the hype around a youngster who doesn’t turn 18 until Christmas and will join UConn in 2025, after completing two more years in an American high school.

Malou-Mamel plays it down herself, saying it’s her height and massive work-rate that’s got her to this point

Gandy has a great attitude and work ethic. No matter how good she becomes, I suspect she will be a fan favorite and great addition to the team!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A great quote from Gandy which I should have included above. Goodness - what's not to love about 6'4"+ kid who runs the floor well, hustles all the time, dives on the floor for loose balls, and can keep up with players 1 foot shorter than her??!!!

She caught UConn’s eyes while playing particularly well defensively at one tournament in Texas.

“I think they just liked my persistence, my motor, being able to run. They just expect me to keep working as hard as I have been because I think that's what interested them so much, that I would dive for loose balls and could keep up with players who are 5’4
.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom