Gampel question | The Boneyard

Gampel question

Reaction Score
XL season ticket holder – went to the Temple game last night as an athletic department perk and had a great time. I hadn’t been to Gampel Pavilion since the Andre Drummond season (vs Pitt IIRC), so it’s been a long long while. Forgive me if this has been discussed (I’m sure it has) but I was shocked at the condition of the roof. WTH is going on structurally up there? It looks Godawful. I’m sure given the budget situation, there’s no plans to fix it though. Just very disappointing to see.

Reaction Score
Supposed to be fixed this summer, was scheduled in 2016 and got delayed and now summer of 2017.

KO has had to cancel his basketball camp for 2 years now. My son went in 2015 and loved it

XL season ticket holder – went to the Temple game last night as an athletic department perk and had a great time. I hadn’t been to Gampel Pavilion since the Andre Drummond season (vs Pitt IIRC), so it’s been a long long while. Forgive me if this has been discussed (I’m sure it has) but I was shocked at the condition of the roof. WTH is going on structurally up there? It looks Godawful. I’m sure given the budget situation, there’s no plans to fix it though. Just very disappointing to see.

Reaction Score
Supposed to be fixed this summer, was scheduled in 2016 and got delayed and now summer of 2017.

KO has had to cancel his basketball camp for 2 years now. My son went in 2015 and loved it

Thanks for the info, happy to hear it's getting fixed. It's looks like such a disaster area up there that it reflects poorly on us, looks like a shanty pavilion.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

The lazy state workers who were supposed to fix it went over budget on cigarettes and it too long because of union by-laws.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are others here with more knowledge than me, but my understanding is that the tile situation has been complicated primarily by the fact that the original ceiling tiles were fabricated by the world-renowned Enzo Patoni, who tragically passed away several years ago in a kiln explosion. Because of the unique features of Patoni's work--and especially certain qualities that only his kiln was able to produce--replacement of the damaged ones has been a bedeviling task for the many administrations that have tried to do so since his untimely death.

Last I knew, it was rumored that one of Enzo's sons, Nunzio, was attempting to restore another Patoni kiln to try to replicate them, but there were concerns both about his skill level and his artistic integrity, given the incredible historical value and importance of the original tiles.

Reaction Score
This will be outsourced to competent experts

The lazy state workers who were supposed to fix it went over budget on cigarettes and it too long because of union by-laws.

Reaction Score
That's the problem. They bought a 1-of-a-kind ceiling design, and only 1 person can fix it. Another brilliant management decision.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's the problem. They bought a 1-of-a-kind ceiling design, and only 1 person can fix it. Another brilliant management decision.
At this point, I think the school should set about reconstructing, to the extent possible, the features of the original Patoni kiln on campus and starting a program to train students in its use, in the hopes that one or more of them are ultimately able to fabricate suitable replacements.

Better than relying on a bunch of jabronis or his derelict son.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was in the budget for this past summer( but Malloy took it out to give to his wife's non profits -hopefully just kidding!) and the state took it off to allocate to shore-up shortfalls. Was supposed to be placed back in this year but we will see. It is a mess and seems to get worse every day

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are others here with more knowledge than me, but my understanding is that the tile situation has been complicated primarily by the fact that the original ceiling tiles were fabricated by the world-renowned Enzo Patoni, who tragically passed away several years ago in a kiln explosion. Because of the unique features of Patoni's work--and especially certain qualities that only his kiln was able to produce--replacement of the damaged ones has been a bedeviling task for the many administrations that have tried to do so since his untimely death.

Last I knew, it was rumored that one of Enzo's sons, Nunzio, was attempting to restore another Patoni kiln to try to replicate them, but there were concerns both about his skill level and his artistic integrity, given the incredible historical value and importance of the original tiles.

Is this the same Enzo Patoni from Miani wines?????
Maybe he can replace the tiles with bottle bottoms and create a one of a kind design
Yeah that's the REAL story

Reaction Score
Agreed, now probably costing a lot too since it's custom

In hindsight they should have built a multi-purpose one like BCU, UMass and Quinny did, or like the Webster Center in Bridgeport

Husky25

Reaction Score
Great, more money wasted on the RFP process, and awarded to the lowest bidder, who will go over budget and behind schedule, because the lazy state worker can't get through the review process as they are too busy taking their union mandated 15 minute smoke break on the half hour.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Great, more money wasted on the RFP process, and awarded to the lowest bidder, who will go over budget and behind schedule, because the lazy state worker can't get through the review process as they are too busy taking their union mandated 15 minute smoke break on the half hour.

No, really. JSM?

How is tom allowing the same guy post from 2 handles in the same thread?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The state hires an Italian designer to put a ceiling over a basketball court?
Pretty much says all you need to know about deficits.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
and this thread moves to the pool in

5....4......3 .... ....... 2 ............

Husky25

Reaction Score
No, really. JSM?

How is tom allowing the same guy post from 2 handles in the same thread?
Seriously? You don't have a gauge on me by now? You've been spending too much time in the Cesspool. It's with your sarcasm meter.

FYI, JSM posts above his quotes. I write below the post I quote, like a normal person.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The state hires an Italian designer to put a ceiling over a basketball court?
Pretty much says all you need to know about deficits.

This was a thread years ago. I think Enzo's son was married to someone in John Toner's family. Some strong arming occurred and Enzo got the contract thanks to also knowing Gov. Bill O'Neil really well. The skids were greased.

What we see now is more of a glaze problem and that, of course, was another closely-held secret that Nunzio has admitted being able to replicate. But he has no political pull. Thus, the State has to go through the proper channels.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
Don't blame the union workers...we all know it's Ollie's fault!

Reaction Score
it's all fun & basketball games until a tile falls and puts someone's eye out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Don't blame the union workers...we all know it's Ollie's fault!
I caught a bit of snarkyiness there, but just in case...

I'm not. You're new here. You'll catch on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom