Gampel/Hartford/both poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gampel/Hartford/both poll

Where would you like to see the men and women play their home games?

• Gampel

Votes: 157 46.4%
  • Hartford

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Both

Votes: 171 50.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I honestly don’t know if meaningful renovations are possible within the existing structure. I suspect they are not. But as fishy correctly, points out, even if it were there really isn’t a justification for the additional investment.
Their current plan to modernize the arena with the current structure is to shrink capacity to 11,000…

Reaction Score
Connecticut has a size problem. It's too small. UConn isn't too far from Hartford, it's too close. Penn State e.g. doesn't have that problem. Everything is on campus and its teams aren't forced to play in the nearest city. And yet, alumni and Pennsylvanians all support the school. Harrisburg is a nice little city but 1.5 hours away. And as bad as State Penn basketball is, Bryce Jordan seats 15k on campus, $53 million in 1996.

Reaction Score
I've never been opposed to Hartford from a geography perspective, I just hate the god damn venue. If we had a new venue that provided a great atmosphere (yes, I know the XL Center can get live) and didn't feel like something from the 1970s I'd have no issues with playing there.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has a size problem. It's too small. UConn isn't too far from Hartford, it's too close. Penn State e.g. doesn't have that problem. Everything is on campus and its teams aren't forced to play in the nearest city. And yet, alumni and Pennsylvanians all support the school. Harrisburg is a nice little city but 1.5 hours away. And as bad as State Penn basketball is, Bryce Jordan seats 15k on campus, $53 million in 1996.

What are their basketball attendance numbers though? Football is another story--seven or eight Saturdays per year is nothing for a 1.5 hour drive (or more).

Reaction Score
Good question. Winning would solve that problem. Now this is interesting. Penn State played Purdue at the Palestra in Philly.

"Penn State has adopted the Palestra as its home game for one game whenever it can do so as a way to bring the program to the lucrative Philadelphia area for recruiting purposes."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Would actually be pretty cool for the states to get together and run some kind of special for Johnny fans.
Then you bribe them or eliminate them from the equation via legislation. The town has been UConn's boat anchor long enough.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Their current plan to modernize the arena with the current structure is to shrink capacity to 11,000…
At which point it will provide no material capacity benefit versus playing at Gampel.

One are the things I dislike about the CDRA that they to perpetually have a “new plan” to make the arena viable, but at least, as far as I’m aware, there isn’t any research supporting those new plans. Is the excess capacity the reason why most acts are looking past the XL Center or is it that other venues bring more intangibles that make them more attractive. I don’t know the answer, but I suspect neither do they.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If/when this happens (as Hartford's size does not warrant a 15K+ arena), I would be OK with reducing the number of games at XL. But while we have this resource, lets get fannies in the seats! UConn BB is the only ticket in the state that can draw those numbers

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Voted both but they need free of charge chartered buses for students to get them to Hartford for all games.

Reaction Score
Many years ago when I lived in CT and was a season ticket holder, I had tickets for both. Later on, we bought just Gampel tix.

I liked the atmosphere and game experience at Gampel much better than the old HCC, but I lived in Farmington and worked across the bridge at Mother Pratt so Hartford was much more convenient. Still I voted for Gampel both here in the poll and back in the day with my dollars.

Reaction Score
What are their basketball attendance numbers though? Football is another story--seven or eight Saturdays per year is nothing for a 1.5 hour drive (or more).
I've been to in conference games there and it was basically empty. I think the university built Bryce Jordan at its larger size more for events and concerts than for the basketball team.

But that being said, State College is really in the middle of nowhere, and not in the same way as UConn. The majority of PSU alums in PA would have a 3+ hour drive to get there. That's not the case for UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Natty Light can sponsor the natatorium. It's a natural fit.
Add some natural lite banners up there and sell them there during the game. Take part of the old camp floor to build a temporary floor over the pool. Put some tables on it and put up a sign up that says Natatorium: Natural Lite Lounge. That’s what they call synergy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gampel is better for students and players. They play better there, and the crowd is better. However, for alumni, and indoctrination of young kids as life long fans Hartford is better. Playing in Hartford expands the fan base, keeps alumni actively attending games.
Exactly this. Getting kids to be fans early is important. When I taught middle school in Fairfield the kids were far less enthusiastic about UConn than other schools I've worked in. Proximity and access is important. Others have said it, but that's why I'd even do a game every year (or every other year) in Bridgeport.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder what a decibel meter would read, would Gampel or Hartford be louder?
Irrespective of the capacity difference, domes are generally louder. Anecdotally, the noise never caused me a headache in Hartford, but I'll never forget the one I had in Gampel when Izzo and Cleaves came to Storrs.

For me and others East of the River, it's six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Both venues are about 20/25 minutes away. There are more options for parking, refreshment, and traffic in Hartford, but the atmosphere was/is typically better in Storrs. Also the sightlines in Gampel are far superior from anywhere in the stands. I took my son to the Marquette game on Tuesday, but for what I paid and how far we were (S202, RS), I would have rather watched from home.

I can get on board with games in Hartford during break only, but that is only 4 home games. They are going to have throw Hartford a few more marque matchups. Preferably on the weekends.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Looking for a write-in, how about the Bahamas. We played pretty good down there a couple of years ago, and parking was a warm breeze.

Reaction Score
Voted gampel but as others have said I’m in favor of games during break being in Hartford.

That said, as much as I prefer watching a game in gampel in just about every way, I’m not losing sleep over the current arrangement. Watching UConn basketball anywhere is fun and I’ll take an 8 minute drive home from xl

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Throw one of them to Bridgeport and really spread the love.
Deal. One of the non Gampel games to BPort each year.

Honest question though - if BPort has only a mediocre game, would it sell out on an annual basis? I ask out of ignorance. If not, hard to give them a game.

Reaction Score
Probably, it's easily accessible in the most populated part of the state and on the metro north line from NYC.

Reaction Score
Deal. One of the non Gampel games to BPort each year.

Honest question though - if BPort has only a mediocre game, would it sell out on an annual basis? I ask out of ignorance. If not, hard to give them a game.
If the mediocre games don't sell out at Hartford or Gampel, then why is it a non-starter if it doesn't sell out in Bpt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom