Gampel Game Day Experience | The Boneyard

Gampel Game Day Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn bought X-Lot last year and the first thing they did is double the price of game day parking. Then they can't even bother to clear the path from the lot to the alumni center. Most was totally unshoveled, part looked like they did some 2 storms ago. They could cover the labor for the job what the get from what, four cars? That was a pretty treacherous walk, especially coming back downhill. I get the feeling they don't really care if we show up or not. Less than 9K announced attendance, maybe 2/3 that number in their seats (maybe). Dead crowd, too. I can't wait to get back to the XL and watch a game with twice the crowd in a place that'll be rocking. And a lot safer walk from the car.

Reaction Score
The game was dead because it was a weekday game vs. East Carolina as an 11-9 team coming off of back to back losses.

Not to mention there was a home hockey game against PC.

Oh, and as a student, duck* XL. Can't deny its attendance this year though.

Reaction Score
I know you've always had a strange attachment to the XL Center, but even from you this post reads like a parody.

Gampel is a way better place to watch a game and virtually every impartial observer will attest to that. It doesn't mean they shouldn't play games at the XL, it doesn't mean you're wrong for having that preference. It would be great if we could put this discussion to bed once and for all and acknowledge these facts.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UConn bought X-Lot last year and the first thing they did is double the price of game day parking. Then they can't even bother to clear the path from the lot to the alumni center. Most was totally unshoveled, part looked like they did some 2 storms ago. They could cover the labor for the job what the get from what, four cars? That was a pretty treacherous walk, especially coming back downhill. I get the feeling they don't really care if we show up or not. Less than 9K announced attendance, maybe 2/3 that number in their seats (maybe). Dead crowd, too. I can't wait to get back to the XL and watch a game with twice the crowd in a place that'll be rocking. And a lot safer walk from the car.

Quit being such a crank about Gampel all the time "Mr Happy Go Lucky."

Reaction Score
Death. Taxes. Waquoit reminding everyone how much he prefers XL over Gampel.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, UConn offered valet parking at X-Lot. And Sherpas carried us to Gampel when it was icy.

And it all cost a nickel.

Of course, we tipped the guy an extra penny to make sure the Cordoba got a good spot.

Reaction Score
hey OP, don't show up to an east Carolina game then. come to the big games at gampel, or don't come at all.

Reaction Score
99% of fans, including myself prefer Gampel but Gampel was awful against ECU. If students can't pack both ends for every game then it just strengthens the case for more games at XL.

Reaction Score
Get into the Big "14" and play ALL games at Gampel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
hey OP, don't show up to an east Carolina game then. come to the big games at gampel, or don't come at all.
The problem is that there was 1 big game at Gampel this whole year lol

Reaction Score
Could the Gampel sound system volume be turned down down a notch? it's become difficult to speak to your seatmate

Reaction Score
Everyone knows Gampel is a better atmosphere(except Waquoit). Ask the players, the majority of fans, the coaches, and especially the students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I was a kid, UConn offered valet parking at X-Lot. And Sherpas carried us to Gampel when it was icy.

Of course, we tipped the guy an extra penny to make sure the Cordoba got a good spot.
When they added the Putnam and Ellsworth dorms they took away the natural home lands of the Storrs Sherpa. Over time they dwindled and died out. Those few who survived migrated westward finding the Appalachian trail. They say there few now living in Millinocket Maine around Mt. Katahdin. It is a cautionary tale of campus development.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I walked through a foot of snow to watch ECU, while tough guys like you were watching TV.

Reaction Score
I walked through a foot of snow to watch ECU, while tough guys like you were watching TV.
UConn hasn't even finished working on all of the student walkways for classes nor have they completed snow removal from the storm two weeks ago (it is wrapping up today allegedly). If they haven't met the needs of the people who are paying thousands of dollars a semester, why are you acting like UConn should roll out a red carpet for you on your way to Gampel just so you can bitch and moan about the experience?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
tumblr_m6eo0if8a51rzkufwo1_500.png

Reaction Score

ah that Corinthian leather. Such luxury.

Reaction Score
I can't go to all of them any more so I like both venues, but Gampel is much better as far as an advantage when then students are into the game and tight a***s show up.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
I know you've always had a strange attachment to the XL Center, but even from you this post reads like a parody.

He's become a caricature of himself, much like whaler on the football board.

Reaction Score

I was at the game. Like I have been for 24 years. Including Texas in April. Keyboard warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom