Game Week - UConn @ SMU (Saturday 9/30/2017 @ 4p ET on ESPNews) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week - UConn @ SMU (Saturday 9/30/2017 @ 4p ET on ESPNews)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Another week, another opportunity to change the narrative.

Keys to a possible upset Saturday
  • +2 in turnovers. <--a must
  • Special teams magic, either a long kick off or punt return. <--the potential is there
  • Can't miss field goals.
  • Tackle damn it. The defense needs to make tackles. Too many third down conversions last week on missed/broken tackles. <--last week, if we made three or four tackles like we should have we could have won.
  • Rhett Lashlee needs to keep the mojo going. He called a great game last week. <--can he do it again?

Reaction Score

• Special teams magic, either a long kick off or punt return. <--the potential is there
  • Tackle damn it. The defense needs to make tackles. Too many third down conversions last week on missed/broken tackles. <--last week, if we made three or four tackles like we should have we could have won.
  • Rhett Lashlee needs to keep the mojo going. He called a great game last week. <--can he do it again?

Your first, second, third and fifth points are all meaningless without the fourth. We can get all the breaks in the world, but we will also have to be much better defensively in order to be in a position to capitalize on them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Your first, second, third and fifth points are all meaningless without the fourth. We can get all the breaks in the world, but we will also have to be much better defensively in order to be in a position to capitalize on them.

Well, we almost won last week w/o any tackling ability what so ever.

I am hoping (what else is there) that this is a trap game of sorts for an over confident SMU team. If we can move the ball on them (their defense doesn't have great stats) then we might have a punchers chance. If we can move the ball on them, it also means that Lashlee and Grimes really have turned the corner.

Reaction Score
The turnover game is hurting us. In the Virginia game there were 4 fumbles. All of them recovered by Virginia. One turnover in the East Carolina game in our favor may have change the outcome in that game. A couple of turnovers in the Virginia game in our favor would have made that game a lot closer. Jr Joseph was making plays all over the field in the East Carolina game. He needs some help out there.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
That first game was not pretty good. It was brutal.
I was there. It was good for three quarters. I still think SMU got some assistance from the zebras.

Reaction Score
Should be shoot out , over/under is at 76. With their offense and our defense holding them under 40 and 500 yards will be an achievement. But on other side their defense is very bad and have an easy schedule except for TCU so anything less than 35 points and around 500 yards for us would be a disappointment. Expect something like 45-41 hopefully with us being the 45.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
You can watch today's whole press conference if you click the link above or here. Putting it on Facebook Live is a good move by AD.
I believed in Pasqualoni, for the first 30 days.

I believed in Diaco, for the first 30 days.

I believe in HCRE and I'll stick with him past 30 days. I want him to succeed and retire from here an old man, and then have the stadium (or field) named after him.

Reaction Score
Hartford Courant Game Capsule

Site: Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas
Time: 4 p.m., Saturday
Line: SMU by 17½. O/U 73½.
Series: SMU, 3-0.
Last meeting: SMU, 27-20, Dec. 6, 2014, Rentschler Field. Matt Davis ran for 191 yards and a touchdown and threw for 145 yards, leading SMU to a comeback victory. UConn led 20-6 at halftime and was outscored 21-0 in the second half.
Weather: 85 degrees. Partly cloudy. 5-10 MPH wind.
TV: ESPNews (Shawn Kenney, Rene Ingoglia)
Radio: WTIC-AM 1080 AM (Joe D'Ambrosio, Wayne Norman, Ken Sweitzer)

Injuries: UConn — LB E.J. Levenberry (knee), out; C Ryan Crozier (knee), out; WR Hergy Mayala (ankle), out; DB Jordan Swann (concussion), doubtful; LS Nick Zecchino (undisclosed), out; DE James Atkins (calf), out; SMU — CB Christian Davis (ankle), questionable; CB Cedric Lancaster (elbow), out; CB Jordan Wyatt (shoulder), questionable.

>>"We basically run the same offense. It's pretty much identical. You've got misdirection tied in with a play-action shot game down the field. You can't get lulled to sleep with your eyes on the backfield. This is a two-back, run-oriented offense that believes in taking shots. That's what they do. To see him taking that team over the first three weeks, as they build that offense and continue to get confidence — they were effective throwing the ball [against ECU] and also effective running the ball. It's a process, step by step. He's as good an offensive coach as there is in the country. I think you see that as he's moving forward with this team." —SMU coach Chad Morris on the UConn offense and coordinator Rhett Lashlee. Morris and Lashlee have known each other for many years and have shared ideas, particularly when Lashlee was at the coordinator at Auburn and Morris was the coordinator at Clemson.<<

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
For those in Dallas tomorrow, the SMU games are broadcast on "the Ticket", the top sports station here. 1310 AM and 96.7 FM.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Seems like this team has been poor at forcing TO's. Which goes to BL's point. If you aren't squaring up and putting your hat in to their chest, TO's are harder to come by. Couple that with a charmin soft pass defense coverage and UConn isn't generating anything in the TO department.

Reaction Score
Tackling was a problem but it was secondary. The bigger issue was that we couldn't/didn't cover anybody. I've never seem more guys open. D-backs were 20 yards off their men on 3rd and long. #27 was forever chasing his man and #1 got beaten all day long. Both have been demoted and both deserved to be. Yes you need to tackle but it is good to cover somebody.

My hope is that at some point things click on the defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom