Game thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ah well. Not our day. Too much of a 'Cuse hangover?

No, we started off the game well. This team is what it is a back and forth roller coaster ride.

Reaction Score
Refs didn't cause the loss. So stop bitching about that we just got outplayed today in every aspect of the game. But what really kills me is that Boat just gave up and died.

Why don't you stop bitching instead. All your bitching about people blaming the refs is bitching about things that aren't happening.

Reaction Score
The refs made bad calls the whole game both ways but that isn't the reason we lost. Rebounds of course but unforced turnovers killed us. Give Nova credit for taking Bazz and Boat out of the game.

I'm really not sure about Nova taking Boat out of the game.

Sure, they played pretty tight man to man, but he looked fatigued and most of his mistakes (turnovers) and defense were because of laziness and a lack of energy.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why don't you stop bitching instead. All you bitching about people blaming the refs are bitching about things that aren't happening.

Aren't happening? Did you watch the game today? NOBODY showed up. That is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
That goaltend was the difference between the lead being 3 or 7 with a minute and a half to go. We didn't deserve to win the way were terrible on the boards and just giving the ball away, but that basically ended the game.

Reaction Score
Aren't happening? Did you watch the game today? NOBODY showed up. That is unacceptable.
You've gone off to lala land now. I said no one bitched about the refs making UConn lose.

Reaction Score
The 2 early fouls on Bazz really set the tone for our guard play....Boat's weaknesses were quickly exposed and his body language showed for the rest of the game...We really missed Wolf as Phil wasn't able to bring it today...That being said, I figured we would end up beating 'cuse and losing to a lesser team down the home stretch...not really surprised by the result.

Reaction Score
LOL at bitching about refs. Zero impact on result.
It was an inexplicable no call that eliminated any chance UConn had at winning the game. They would've lost anyway, but it's inexcusable that three officials missed that blatant of a goaltend.

Reaction Score
It was an inexplicable no call that eliminated any chance UConn had at winning the game. They would've lost anyway, but it's inexcusable that three officials missed that blatant of a goaltend.

The problem isn't the missed call. The problem is that the refs explained that they got the call right. You can shake the backboard. As long as you go for the ball and miss.

Reaction Score
LOL at bitching about refs. Zero impact on result.

I agree. But if I had to comment on the poor officiating, I would point to the non foul call on the Villanova player in the first half as evidence more than anything else. That, to me looked horrendous. I am a UConn fan, but come on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The only thing one can say for sure is that Bazz can never, ever get 2 PFs in the first 3 minutes again.

Not saying that made the difference between winning and losing, but Nova did get a nice run while he was out. This team has to gut it out against everyone when at full strength. It was quite obvious they weren't near full strength with Bazz out. Fewest minutes he played this year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Officiating doesn't make us rebound any worse. The game was lost on the boards.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't the missed call. The problem is that the refs explained that they got the call right. You can shake the backboard. As long as you go for the ball and miss.
Yeah, I loved that.

One of the things I hate most about refs is their arrogance. The best officials can simply admit they missed up and everyone moves on, but most guys these days have to make up some BS excuse about how they "technically" got it right.

Reaction Score
Was he going for the ball though? The shot was already on the board. If he DID hit it, it would have been a goaltend. Dumb call.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Did anyone bitch about the refs making UConn lose? Must have missed that.

Yes you did. Nobody said it's the primary reason we lost but every other post is about the non-call or the officiating in general. It's a loser's lament, a coping mechanism. Implicit is the suggestion that the officiating was material to the outcome. It wasn't. Boat's F--- performance, our anemic rebounding and Nova's defense are the reasons we lost.

Reaction Score
The 2 early fouls on Bazz really set the tone for our guard play....Boat's weaknesses were quickly exposed and his body language showed for the rest of the game...We really missed Wolf as Phil wasn't able to bring it today...That being said, I figured we would end up beating 'cuse and losing to a lesser team down the home stretch...not really surprised by the result.

I agree. I also think that with Boat on the bench, it allowed their freshman guard, Arcidiaciano, to get off to a good start and build on that. But give credit to Nova. They also got some key points from their other players, Bell (I think), Pinkston and Yarou(sp?), so they did what they needed to do to win this thing.

Reaction Score
Officiating doesn't make us rebound any worse. The game was lost on the boards.

And with the number of turnovers we had. Too sloppy with the ball today to beat a good team. On the plus side DD, OC and NG played well. But, I don't understand why Ollie didn't have both DD AND NGwith OC playing the 2 in there during the last 7 or 8 minutes. By keeping an unproductive Boat on the floor, we were missing rebounding, D and scoring that was needed.

Reaction Score
I feel like the ref's interpretation can't be correct - when the ball is on the rim and you shake the backboard and decrease the chances for the ball to go in, that's a goaltend, no matter what you tried to do. Lots of violations are accidents.

If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected, but that's a very bad rule then. Otherwise you are punishing the offensive player and giving the defender an advantage he didn't earn. It isn't logical.

We still didn't deserve to win - this is more just a parallel discussion.

Reaction Score
Yes you did. Nobody said it's the primary reason we lost but every other post is about the non-call or the officiating in general. It's a loser's lament, a coping mechanism. Implicit is the suggestion that the officiating was material to the outcome. It wasn't. Boat's F--- performance, our anemic rebounding and Nova's defense are the reasons we lost.

I disagree. The call was explained by a referee as a good one. And this is precisely why people were commenting. I still don't have an answer 45 minutes after the game. No one has come up with an explanation, so imagine our confusion then.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It was a bad call. There's your explanation. Now we can all move on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No one here is blaming the refs. We're trying to understand the call. The refs said you can shake the backboard as long as you were going for the ball and missed.
refs blew the call so they used a cop out explanation Sure if you go up to block and your hand happens to touch the board they wont call it as it was in the act but to use that when you slap the board when you get beat to the hoop - that like oblamo saying his policies wont cost us a dime

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a bad call. There's your explanation. Now we can all move on.
chill if people want to bang on the refs let them if you want to beat on the players you go ahead a discussio about the validity of a call is hurting nobody

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
chill if people want to bang on the refs let them if you want to beat on the players you go ahead a discussio about the validity of a call is hurting nobody

I didn't delete anyone's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01