Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Wolf down low, we need to extend our D to the perimeter.

Reaction Score
You don't mean today, right? Bazz has taken one shot all night, and it was early.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Does NG have two fouls?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, no TV access here, but from box looks like DD had a great half.

Reaction Score
Does NG have two fouls?

Don't think so. I think Ollie is in confidence building mode. Seems like he should have a quicker hook, but seems to keep the players in longer, even when the players are not producing. That is how I see it.

Reaction Score
To be honest, lack of offensive complexity is the tradeoff with the big frontline we have gone to this decade. We ran more complex offensive sets with Rip and Ray at the 3, because those guys had guard skills and were triple-threats (shoot, drive, pass). With Rudy, Sticks and Roscoe - you don't want those guys making decisions. Our offense looked better in 2011 when Lamb was at the 3 and Kemba was playing off the ball interchangably with Bazz.

This year, the problem isn't the size (unless we go to DD at the 3 at some point) - it is that Omar is still kinda raw and really isn't a great decision maker yet. Spot up, sure. Put it on the floor and create, not so much.

When you only have two people who you want to have the ball in their hands for any length of time, it means that the offense isn't going to look that great. If we get to the point that Omar can come off a curl and be a triple threat like Rip was, we can initiate offense from three different directions and maybe have more cutting and misdirection.

Reaction Score
KO is way to calm sometimes. Needs to light a fire under these guys' ass
I could be wrong but a 7 month contract does not give a coach much room to rag on the players, the last thing he needs is a rebellion or discontent. I really feel for him, his roster is average, and he is forced to coach for his life. It just suxs!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Don't think so. I think Ollie is in confidence building mode. Seems like he should have a quicker hook, but seems to keep the players in longer, even when the players are not producing. That is how I see it.
/Yep and Gurlyman in the post following yours explains why.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We can't just let Omar keep tanking the whole game and turning the ball over. He does need to build confidence and experience, but we also need NG spending a little less time on the bench.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
To be honest, lack of offensive complexity is the tradeoff with the big frontline we have gone to this decade. We ran more complex offensive sets with Rip and Ray at the 3, because those guys had guard skills and were triple-threats (shoot, drive, pass). With Rudy, Sticks and Roscoe - you don't want those guys making decisions. Our offense looked better in 2011 when Lamb was at the 3 and Kemba was playing off the ball interchangably with Bazz.

This year, the problem isn't the size (unless we go to DD at the 3 at some point) - it is that Omar is still kinda raw and really isn't a great decision maker yet. Spot up, sure. Put it on the floor and create, not so much.

When you only have two people who you want to have the ball in their hands for any length of time, it means that the offense isn't going to look that great. If we get to the point that Omar can come off a curl and be a triple threat like Rip was, we can initiate offense from three different directions and maybe have more cutting and misdirection.
And that is why KO kept OC in during the last 7 minutes instead of subbing back NG.

Reaction Score
It's another game where you can't complain about our D, other than specific possessions (giving them a 3 after we went up 7 to kill momentum, for example). Harvard has 24 points. In a normal year with typical UConn talent, playing defense like this would mean the score is something like 40-24 now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's another game where you can't complain about our D, other than specific possessions (giving them a 3 after we went up 7 to kill momentum, for example). Harvard has 24 points. In a normal year with typical UConn talent, playing defense like this would mean the score is something like 40-24 now.
I would say OC still is has trouble keeping his man in front of him and TO did not have effective minutes. But the defense was great overall.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Niels Giffey needs to be in the game. How about we go with Wolf, Daniels, Giffey, Boat, and Bazz?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Lets just hope DD's back doesn't tighten up on him.

Reaction Score
I would say OC still is has trouble keeping his man in front of him and TO did not have effective minutes. But the defense was great overall.

True - you can live with a little bit of on-ball defense issues from a freshman. It takes time to get the feet moving instinctually when the game is being played at a faster speed. Ideally, of course, you'd like for him to hit a shot or two to make up for it so he's giving you something.

And unlike, say, Kemba as a freshman, he doesn't get the luxury of someone like Thabeet behind him.

Reaction Score
am i missing something? why is calhoun in and not giffey. should be

boat
daniels
wolf
giffey
bazz

ctchamps

Reaction Score
am i missing something? why is calhoun in and not giffey. should be

boat
daniels
wolf
giffey
bazz
Development of OC probably.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Guards struggling to keep their player in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom