Game thread Stanford - UConn | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Game thread Stanford - UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Shots weren't falling tonight as they were the other game. Shots were heavily contested and this game was very difficult for UConn. They will learn from this game. I actually will feel sorry for Stanford (a little) should they meet again.

Reaction Score
Breanna is taking this loss hard. She was in tears coming off the court.

Folks, this is the way it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be easy. Kudos to Stanford. This team will learn from this game and it will serve them well down the road.

A new streak srarts....
Yeah poor Bre. She played hard. I don't care what that other poster said. This is a big transition for her and she is carrying the weight of this team on her shoulders this year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
KLM's poor conditioning cost us the game. She's the only player I can think of that got in worse shape the longer she's been here. Others like Dolson have come in as out if shape freshman and got in better shape the longer they were here. Imagine how good she'd be if she was in better shape?

Reaction Score
Hey Stanford Great Win! Congrats..... a victory well earned...... wasnt rooting for you, but I salute your effort and your victory

Reaction Score
It's hard to win when the NPOY has 2 points over the last 12 minutes of the game. Such a fun game to watch though! I like having some competition in a game for once!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Notre Dame and SC will beat this by double digits if they don't get a lot better!

We won't shoot this bad against them. One thing that burned us in this game was scoring so easily against UC Davis.
Plus I'll go out on a limb and predict Stanford will NOT shoot 49% against another top 10 opponent.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
No I have said it in the past and can name at least 3 games off the top of my head. Go watch the ND games a couple years ago.

3 games out of how many? And were the loss the result of Geno or failure to execute his instructions (think Kiah Stokes)

Reaction Score
KML was Mia in this game. Once she gets into playing (game) shape I think she will do better. She really struggled with the speed of the game. Especially on the defensive end of the floor. However, all is not lost, she and the team have the whole season to get in better condition and work on the O and D. Geno will whip them into shape.

Reaction Score
Breanna is taking this loss hard. She was in tears coming off the court.

Folks, this is the way it is supposed to be. It is not supposed to be easy. Kudos to Stanford. This team will learn from this game and it will serve them well down the road.

A new streak srarts....

Reaction Score
I said in a recent topic that the best chance to beat UCONN this year is contain KML outside shooting, Stanford did that tonight. Great game!
Great game??? Stanford played pretty well but UConn played awful, making so many bad decisions. I find it hard to believe that Kiah Stokes took a three point shot with plenty of time left on the clock and UConn having a decent lead with less than two minutes left in the game. Breanna Stewart played well but with a few minutes left in regulation and time left on the clock, shot a flat footed three point shot a few feet beyond the arc. Some ridiculous foul calls that weren't anything resembling a foul and were brought up by the broadcast team for how stupid they were. Nurse fouling out and thus allowing the Stanford guards to blow past Chong play after play after play. How is it possible that KML didn't even attempt a shot at the final buzzer??? How is it possible that Chong would drive to the hoop when there was less than three seconds left for a two point basket when you're down by three points???? Unbelievable stuff! Geno is probably going to have a seizure. Actually, maybe this is exactly what he needs to get them to focus and get better. I think it is pretty hard for them to play worse than they did tonight though I concede that Stanford did some nice things and played pretty decent defense with a whole lot of hustle. Chong did some nice things offensively but she did give away a lot of the defensive side of the ball. It's early and it's a learning experience but boy, I'm still stunned about their performance tonight.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stanford played the better game and deserved to win. If Kia Nurse doesn't foul out, UConn wins this game as her defense would have stopped some of Stanford's guards points. Poor execution for extended stretches and have to give Stanford's quicker players props. Great Game plan by Tara. Thought UConn would win, but wasn't surprised the game was close.

Reaction Score
Kiah would have been OK if she just made a couple of those chippies. We wouldn't be having this conversation if she had. It's clear that Stef+Bria > Kiah+KML from a senior leadership standpoint. One thing I would have considered is going with 3 guards to counter Stanford on defense.
When have we had two players foul out? Nurse had 3 bogus calls on her. But, this will be a big wake up call to Kiah and KML who will now see that they have to step up as the veteran senior leaders of this team. Can't rely on Stewie.

Reaction Score
KML was Mia in this game. Once she gets into playing (game) shape I think she will do better. She really struggled with the speed of the game. Especially on the defensive end of the floor. However, all is not lost, she and the team have the whole season to get in better condition and work on the O and D. Geno will whip them into shape.

Why the heck isn't she in game shape?

She's a senior and was not injured this off season.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno is the greatest coach ever, a great motivator, great teacher, great recruiter but he is very average in his xs and os.

Of course. On the rare occasion when we do lose it's usually Geno's fault. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The most disappointing part of the game for me was not that they lost but how they lost. They looked disorganized down the stretch, something I haven't seen in a long time. For those who thought that Hartley and Dolson could be easily replaced, I present exhibit A. Who was in charge down the stretch of regulation and OT ? They didn't even know who should be taking the ball out with 2.6 seconds left in OT !!! I would love to know what the last play was supposed to be. Well, time to start another streak. But there's a lot of work to do first.

Reaction Score
Great game. We lost two AA, played #6 team in the country on their home floor, fouled out two players and lost by two points in OT! Kia Nurse was a huge loss but is going to be soooo good. Relax folks ...

Reaction Score
KLM's poor conditioning cost us the game. She's the only player I can think of that got in worse shape the longer she's been here. Others like Dolson have come in as out if shape freshman and got in better shape the longer they were here. Imagine how good she'd be if she was in better shape?
Agree.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
3 games out of how many? And were the loss the result of Geno or failure to execute his instructions (think Kiah Stokes)
I don't think you understand the lack of competition in this sport. Geno barley ever has to coach in crucial situations and in such situations generally looks average to below average. Great recruiter, teacher, and motivator, but not a great game time coach.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
. One thing I would have considered is going with 3 guards to counter Stanford on defense.

Problem with that is it makes UConn even smaller and they were already getting killed on the glass. Chong had a great, great game making shots. She really kept UConn in with them. However, she is a liability on defense right now as is KML. That's two out of five in the starting lineup, and that's a problem.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
W
No I have said it in the past and can name at least 3 games off the top of my head. Go watch the ND games a couple years ago.
watch out, you're about to be crucified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman