game thread - southern | The Boneyard

game thread - southern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont have anything to add. Wasn't able to watch or listen. But I'm anxious to read the thoughts of those who saw it.

Reaction Score
GREAT game for larrier

purvis and brimah also had some really solid minutes, including a stretch where brimah scored on, like, three straight possessions. lots of fast break points, too.

EDIT: five straight possessions for brimah. wow.

Reaction Score
All you need to know is that Terry Larrier is a beast
Indeed
a5qbbO9.png

Reaction Score
How many of Brimah's baskets came on alley oops? Plays that won't happen vs the better teams?

Reaction Score
How many of Brimah's baskets came on alley oops? Plays that won't happen vs the better teams?

one nice-looking alley oop from purvis, one putback, one little hook shot, plus some wide open ones. he drew a couple of fouls too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Then the defenders won't help leaving Adams larrier Gilbert etc one on one with a path to the basket

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No audio, but here it is:

I hope at the end of the season you're able to make a video of him just posterizing players. If it happens at the garden I lose my shllt

Reaction Score
I thought we looked much better today, though the freshman looked like freshman for them most part.

'Rique: Struggling to get his shot off against D2 comp. He's plenty crafty around the rim, just needs to learn when to use what. His height is really going to affect him this year early on, I would imagine. Until the game was essentially over, he didn't have a point. On the plus side he's looking for the right passes, getting up for boards, and hustling. Might be more of a natural point guard than the others.

Jackson: Basically a non-factor. He wasn't left open for 3s, and he isn't skilled enough with the ball yet to put it on the floor.

Durham: One time when the ball was going out of bounds, it was really clear he was hesitant. Another time he would have had a dunk but passed instead. Definitely hesistant about his knees. I'm not going to expect much this year other than some hustle and getting his mind back in it.

Vital: Will be good for defense. I think after the Cassel experience, Ollie decided to recruit a 3rd or 4th guard that can come in and play D, rather than a scorer. That's more likely to translate to this level. Played okay. Definitely a little overmatch on the offensive end, but his D is pretty sound. Athletic guy.

Larrier: I LOVE his play. One of his dunks was absolutely ferocious. Extremely athletic, seems like a good shooter and ball handler for his size. Can he distribute? The fact that Ollie left him out during garbage time is a good thing. His man was too open on defense a couple times because his footwork on screens was iffy--clean that up and he'll be a solid defender, long and definitely works hard.

Adams: Leading the team. Made 1-2 threes. We need him to have an outside shot this year so he can get that beautiful drive (or dish) with his right hand going.

Purvis: As expected.

Facey: Surprisingly quiet. Not really a factor when I saw him on the floor, but I was checking out the freshman more when I could.

Enoch: After the two bad fouls the first few minutes on the floor, I thought he did okay. We should look inside for the 1 on 1 post moves some more. He has a sweet hook shot with either hand. Does he have a counter? If yes, he could have a solid year if he cleans up the D.

Brimah: I thought he was a non-factor until he exploded the first 5 minutes of the second half. He wasn't showing anything we haven't seen before though (Remember Coppin?), so I wouldn't expect Emeka just yet. Hell block some shots, get a few boards, and have a few lobs, possibly an awkward/leaning putback or two.

Overall: Way too many turnovers, but the boys were definitely getting into regular season form. Our front line will be a weakness, as anticipated. 1-3 we have a pretty solid rotation. The freshman looked like freshman today. If they can't adjust fast this year might be bumpy. Now on to Friday!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Watching the replay now, one thing that really stands out to me from last year is how much better Larrier's lateral foot speed on defense is when compared to Hamilton. They will likely be guarding similar players but Larrier just moves his feet so much better on the defensive end than our 3 spot last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Watching the replay now, one thing that really stands out to me from last year is how much better Larrier's lateral foot speed on defense is when compared to Hamilton. They will likely be guarding similar players but Larrier just moves his feet so much better on the defensive end than our 3 spot last year.
He can probably guard 1-4 maybe 5 due to size and athleticism. If he can make jump shots and get out on the perimeter to defend he'll be a nightmare for opposing teams. I like the tempo the team plays at but I want to see who's going to be the go to guy and who can consistently hit jumpers. Also how our bigs do against players of their size or bigger

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I took my 4 year old to the game .... where can i score the replay?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I took my 4 year old to the game .... where can i score the replay?
The highlights are a pretty good summary. But they'll probably be posted in a day or two

Reaction Score
All you need to know is that Terry Larrier is a beast

Makes me feel good. When we first locked him up, I based my thoughts on stats - reasonably bad FG%, and had initially low expectations. Heard about his summer, and was surprised. Met him in person, and he was a total class act. This guy is better than good. He's probably really good to great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom