Game thoughts - Colgate | The Boneyard

Game thoughts - Colgate

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Every time they showed a straight on head shot of Colgate's Dana Batt, I saw Cameron Diaz in the hair gel scene from Something About Mary.
  2. I see a cursory physical resemblance to Earl Monroe in Anderson. For some reason, that jumped out at me, and I don't know why. Gamewise, he's more like Sam Cassell with a better stroke and much, much better instincts -- especially defensively. Certainly appeared better than advertised.
  3. At around the 5 minute mark in the 1st half, AG made two consecutive, beautiful drives. Missed a bunny (right handed) on the first, made it (left handed) on the 2nd. Those two plays hinted at what we're hoping to get from him on a regular basis. He recognized that the zone was slow setting up and just cut it apart to go to the hole. But to me his highlight play was the block/tie up of the Batt layup attempt early in the 2nd half.
  4. As far as AG's 3 point shooting, I wonder if the shoulder brace is affecting his balance, form or stroke on the way up or at the release point.
  5. Kwintin and Mamadou both got into the game early, but didn't get much burn, splitting about 10 minutes between them. Kwintin looked determined, but a little unsure of where he was supposed to be on D in his few minutes. Box score has him with zero rebounds, but I swear I saw him take down two.
  6. Larrier's first 2 shots were a missed long two, and a made layup. His next two, 3 and 4-1/2 minutes into the game, were made threes. After that, he owned the game, at least offensively. He did take 3 shots that missed badly, all rushed step back twos, in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. His last three was the most confident shot I've seen him take. It brought to mind Ben and Rip when either was on a hot streak.
  7. Tyler Polley's father is a former NFL player. So was Gavin Edwards' dad. Gavin ended up being a decent player for us eventually, but I suspect that Tyler's going to end up being a lot more than than.
  8. I thought that overall, we rebounded pretty well. Admittedly this is one of the few teams we'll outsize, but we had someone -- and usually multiple players -- in good rebounding position on the D board on most shot attempts. But we need to convert more defensive boards into fast breaks. Cobb especially has to look down court BEFORE making a dribble.
  9. Pleasantly surprised with 5 blocks out of a group with no pure shot blocker.
  10. I like Whaley. At this point, he's my favorite of the Frosh. Not really sure why. I think something about his show of emotion after making a play kind of reminds me of Rip.
  11. Foul shooting... 18 of 19? If that wasn't a fluke, we're talking shades of '14!
  12. There was a play where Carlton (I think it was Carlton) caught a pass about 8 feet from the hoop, with his back to the baseline. He made three partial pivots trying to find or create a crease he could slide through, without even a hint of a travel, then fired a bullet pass to the perimeter. I don't remember the outcome of the possession, because I was so taken with his poise. Same situation with just about any of our bigs last year would almost surely resulted in a travel, a ball bounced off his foot, a tie-up or a strip. Eliminating negative outcomes is every bit as important as creating positive ones.
We have a long way to go, but I feel OK about where we're starting from.

Reaction Score
Always enjoy reading your thoughts Rich! Damn fine breakdown of a lot of details and small things that seem to go unnoticed usually.

Totally agree on AltGilbert. His ability to cut through the D and get to the rack was heartening and I think in time he'll start to finish those with regularity.

Whaley is an interesting player. I think we'll see a lot of lob plays for him before long. His ability to crash the boards reminds me of Marcus Lee from recent Kentucky fame.

My hope for Polley dispenses with the comparisons to DD and is a hope that he likes to run around screens a la Rip. With his size and apparent stroke he could be deadly in the midrange coming around screens with the opportunity to pull up or dish it down low.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In #2 above, I was of course referencing SamC Jr, not his dad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No. 11 - Wouldn't it be awesome if we're in the NCAAs and other coaches parrot what The Squid said in response to questions about why Kentucky didn't foul us at the end of the 2014 NC game?

"There was no sense in fouling them because they were going to make all of their free throws."

That would also mean we're winning NCAA tourney games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom