Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Reaction Score
The sword Jon Snow found was made of Valerian steel forged by dragon fire allowing to kill the white walker. I only know this from one of my sales guys who's daughter is a die hard fan. LOL

Do you think that was his Uncle's old sword?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Do you think that was his Uncle's old sword?

The sword was given to him by Joer Mormont - the previous Commander of the Night's Watch - after Jon saved him from one of the wights. Typically a Valyrian Steel sword would be kept in the family, but Joer's son Jorah had disgraced the family name by selling slaves and had been banished from the 7 kingdoms. Hence how Jorah ended up with Daenerys.

Reaction Score
The sword was given to him by Joer Mormont - the previous Commander of the Night's Watch - after Jon saved him from one of the wights. Typically a Valyrian Steel sword would be kept in the family, but Joer's son Jorah had disgraced the family name by selling slaves and had been banished from the 7 kingdoms. Hence how Jorah ended up with Daenerys.

Thanks. The whole sword exchange thing confused me. It seemed like he happened upon some random sword that was left behind by one of the Wildlings.

Reaction Score
The show is flirting with some dangerous territory in terms of magic driving the plot.

And so, near the end, you start to fear Cassandra is right. It's ever so. You were warned . . . .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Spoilers below...

Drogon spittin hot fire on those gold faced Jabbawockeez? Awesome. Stannis's daughter? BRUTAL

Reaction Score
It was a powerful episode, but I still am not overly pleased with this season. As a book reader, I already thought they were walking a tight rope with their changes. Then, the events of this episode happen to make me fully question what the heck the writers are doing. Some of the changes have made sense (Sansa, Jaime), but most have fallen flat in my opinion, especially what happened tonight.

My biggest problem is that I view the show as a subordinate to the book series, when they should be treated as two different entities that just happen to have the same characters and some (very) similar plotlines. In reality, as this episode affirmed, asoiaf and GoT are two separate entities with similar, but different canon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The daughter scene was horrific. It drowns a lot of the rest of the episode out to be honest. I am not going to rewatch it for a few days.

Reaction Score
HBO Stannis is a baaaaaad man. Still, that greyscale visage of Shireen's made me want to itch every time she was on camera. Won't be sorry never to see it again.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about this season, but the writers seem to find new ways to top themselves. I didn't think they would be able to create a more hated figure than Ramsey or Joffery....but Stannis just took that crown with room to spare.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Lets be honest folks, we new the little girl was gonna get wacked. It's part of that red witches game plan . It was brutal but we all knew it. The dragon scene was awesome.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Another example of shock fabricated for TV that doesn't add anything to the story. They are all backfill in time to replace the Ironborn/Pyke storyline with Sansa still at the Vale, Stannis's family still at Castle Black with Jon Snow, Jamie in the River lands and a whole cast of characters in Dorne and Essos. Just to give you an idea how far they've strayed.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Another example of shock fabricated for TV that doesn't add anything to the story. They are all backfill in time to replace the Ironborn/Pyke storyline with Sansa still at the Vale, Stannis's family still at Castle Black with Jon Snow, Jamie in the River lands and a whole cast of characters in Dorne and Essos. Just to give you an idea how far they've strayed.

I guess in the Inside the Episode video for this episode David Benioff says "when George first told us about this" when describing the scene. Obviously it would have to be a bit different in the books, and I would think more instigated by Selyse than Stannis. We are probably at the point where certain events that are not in the books, might actually be from future installments and we just don't know it. I never expected Stannis to actually go through with it.

Really hoping George is able to get the next book released before the next season.

Reaction Score
One problem solved: Danni doesn't have to decide allegiance between her lover-bodyguard or her political husband. Now she has two suitors in the bodyguard & her "banished" gladiator. She now knows that both have her back in time of trouble. Will the dragon recover quickly from its wounds?

Reaction Score
HBO Stannis is a baaaaaad man. Still, that greyscale visage of Shireen's made me want to itch every time she was on camera. Won't be sorry never to see it again.

Such a ridiculously good job at using make up that actually added something to a character. You're supposed to like her, you're supposed to feel for her and that scaly deformity just sealed it.

Reaction Score
So, Dany has dragons. Don't you need dragons to make Valyrian Steel? Westeros will need Dany down the road.

I'm sure that everyone else expected the dragon to make an appearance once Dany and her party were surrounded. And that look on Tyrion's face, haha.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Seemed way gratuitous, and just for extra shock value.By far the weakest penultimate episode in the series so far. "well we cut off Neds head, We had the red wedding, and we had the epic mountain/viper battle. How can we top that? " Tough bar to live up to though because the other 4 have been stupendous. They would have been better off flip flopping Hardhome episode with the Dances with Dragons episode if they were going to do it at all. While this hasn't happened in the books, and maybe it will, maybe it wont, I don't like the way it was done on the show. Although maybe it is just the father of a daughter in me talking. It takes a lot to disgust me. That disgusted me.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two of my favorite chapters from ADWD will not make it into the show, but I am overall happy with the adaptation. I get why they had Stannis' daughter killed, but it was still a rough scene to watch.

I really don't get what they tried to do with Dorne this season. They wrapped it up with a bow and.....so what? It basically didn't move the overall story forward at all. Jaime and Bronn could have had all their important conversations while sitting in Kings Landing, have Tristane show up next season as the new guy from Dorne, and just skipped the whole Dorne arc altogether.

I assume we will get Littlefinger back in the finale. He was really important in AFFC and ADWD, and remains very important in the overall story. Surprised we don't see more of him.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about this season, but the writers seem to find new ways to top themselves. I didn't think they would be able to create a more hated figure than Ramsey or Joffery....but Stannis just took that crown with room to spare.
All in a matter of 10 minutes as well.

And let's not forget they almost immediately followed that up with straight up pedophillia and child sex slavery

Just a tough episode to watch for half of it. Luckily the fighting pits scene made it good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Penfield I'm with you on Martin finishing that darn book. If it's not done, there's a good shot I don't watch next season until tWoW is published, not to mention the 7th (and presumed last) season versus A Dream of Spring (could the delay be that he's writing them concurrently? Ain't that wishful thinking!), which would in theory spoil the ending of the series.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Are you guys saying you thought Stannis burning his daughter at the stake didn't have any value to the plot? It's an act that is the defining moment of his character?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Are you guys saying you thought Stannis burning his daughter at the stake didn't have any value to the plot? It's an act that is the defining moment of his character?
It's gratuitous in its placement. It was a weak build and was thrown on Ep 9 just to shock the out of you. It certainly defines his (lack of ) character but like many other things in this VERY uneven season (Dorne, Faith militant etc...) it was plotted out poorly.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It's gratuitous in its placement. It was a weak build and was thrown on Ep 9 just to shock the out of you. It certainly defines his (lack of ) character but like many other things in this VERY uneven season (Dorne, Faith militant etc...) it was plotted out poorly.
Sorry, non book reader so forgive me. Through my eyes it makes perfect sense for his story arch in the timing it takes place. He is unilaterally moving towards what he thinks is his birth right giving away more and more of himself in the process and becoming increasingly pigeonholed into a death march. He's clearly a desperate man who just sold what's left of his soul. The act like many in the series is upsetting, but it didn't seem forced to me or violence for violence's sake. What alternative means is there to underscore what happens when a man chases power he believes is his divine right in a world where power is fickle and granted by the masses?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I may be forgetting my reading, but weren't Stannis's wife, daughter, and the Red woman cooling at Castle Black at the end of ADWD while Stannis was getting ready to attack Winterfell?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@Penfield I'm with you on Martin finishing that darn book. If it's not done, there's a good shot I don't watch next season until tWoW is published, not to mention the 7th (and presumed last) season versus A Dream of Spring (could the delay be that he's writing them concurrently? Ain't that wishful thinking!), which would in theory spoil the ending of the series.

In some thread I gave my theory that he will either never finish the series or dump a giant deuce on the world in a A Dream of Spring. I think the book will suck beyond words because he just wants to get it done. It will be released some time in 2019 or 2020. I do think he will get The Winds of Winter out just in time for next season.

I think Martin mentioned once in an interview he wants to do a movie prequel of Robert's Rebellion. I expect him to focus on that once the show ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom