game-night supper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

game-night supper

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
ah, Crozet! When I lived in C'ville in the early 80's, a trip to Crozet Pizza was a treat. I had a waitress working for me, from Crozet, and there were still family feuds in the Blue Ridge foothills then. She married a boy from the rival clan, and it caused all kindsa' consernation.

Were either of them Shifletts?

Reaction Score
Cheesesteaks for Temple (in a couple weeks, I think, this year) are an annual event at the chez. As well as Hot Brown sandwiches for Louisville. I'm in training, so won't be doing them till then.

I haven't hit upon the perfect cheese/sauce to top the cheesesteaks if anyone wants to advise me.

BIG B: That's a matter of taste, but having spent a whole lotta time in the Philly and south Jersey coastal areas, hard to beat provolone. .

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In fact, they were! The other family, if memory serves, were the Forloins, or something along that line.

I was amazed that there were like four pages of Shifletts in the Albemarle phone book, so it was a (humorous) statistical query, not a WAG.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Tonight I cooked some odd but delicious Tex-Mex quesadillas. The chicken was spiced with barbecue sauce rather than Mexican spices, and it called for onions (which I caramelized) with a bit of honey. The double sweetness really went well with the BBQed chicken. They were baked rather than fried (my wife greatly prefers things not fried, but the recipe did call for baking them). I wish I'd remembered a couple of avocados to make some guacamole as a side.

Of course, it was washed down with Shiner Bock.

Needless to say, not gonna do this on game night again.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You didn't jump on a Waco Taco theme?

Reaction Score
BigBoote: Re your question on best top for a cheesesteak: having eaten miles of cheesesteaks from the best of hoagie shops in the Philly and NJ areas where folks know what hoagies are, my advice is to use REAL cheese on top. A sharp provolone is the best. Fine to melt it if you like, and onions ( melted or not) belong there too. Tomatoes good also.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm posting tonight's before the game.

For Cincinnati, I chose the obvious -- Cincinnati chili. For those who've never had it, don't think of it as chili, but as a separate dish. The chili itself is just ground beef with onion and tomato sauce, mildly spiced with chili powder and cocoa and cinnamon. It's served over spaghetti, with your choice of cheese, onions, and red kidney beans. I had it once at Skyline in Cinci probably going on 30 years ago. I loved it then, we'll see about tonight.

My wife says I made it when our daughter was young, but I'm pretty sure I just talked about it and she nixed the idea. But she can't say no to a supper for a UConn game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm posting tonight's before the game.

For Cincinnati, I chose the obvious -- Cincinnati chili. For those who've never had it, don't think of it as chili, but as a separate dish. The chili itself is just ground beef with onion and tomato sauce, mildly spiced with chili powder and cocoa and cinnamon. It's served over spaghetti, with your choice of cheese, onions, and red kidney beans. I had it once at Skyline in Cinci probably going on 30 years ago. I loved it then, we'll see about tonight.

My wife says I made it when our daughter was young, but I'm pretty sure I just talked about it and she nixed the idea. But she can't say no to a supper for a UConn game.

Believe it or not, they have a Cincinnati Chili restaurant here in Downtown Greensboro... its a long time lunch only fixture in the city. I may have visited it once, but I didnt get the chili. Your post is making me to rectify that as soon as possible.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Cincinnati Chili in Greensboro? That's odd.

When I was in Charlottesville I had a good friend who was from Louisville. Evidently her mother was from Cincinnati or the burbs, and made chili frequently. She said the first time she had chili in Virginia, she blurted out, "Where's the spaghetti?" and everyone thought she was nuts.

I definitely hadn't made it before, as my wife loved it; not the reaction she'd remembered having to it (nor the reaction I remembered her having to the idea). It was a hit all 'round. I followed a recipe that many online reviewers said was really close to Skyline; it was subtly different from spaghetti with meat sauce (and red beans and cheddar).

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
CIncinnati Native started the restaurant. Unique in that its only open from 11-2pm M-F.... well unique for Greensboro. Man.... they make it look good on the website.

Our Story | cincysnc

As a native Cincinnatian, this pleases me greatly. I'll have to drive up one day this summer and check it out!

Also, @Bigboote -- I have some seasoning packets for Cincinnati chili that my mom sent me, not realizing they sold cans of Skyline at our grocery store. If you want to tuck them away for round two (or next year when they play Xavier), I'd be more than happy to send them to you!

And if anyone finds themselves in Cincinnati for breakfast, find a place that serves goetta -- another local delicacy.

Reaction Score
I like to try different recipes, and one thing that motivates me is when UConn plays. Probably a half-dozen times a year I'll do a dinner from the opponent's cuisine. I think I'll try to post to this thread throughout the season to let y'all know what I'm cooking.

Tonight is actually in honor of the Nationals. From what I can tell, there are only two foods that are actually uniquely native to Washington, DC (yes, there are mid-Atlantic things like crab cakes, but those aren't specifically DC). Those are the half-smoke, which is a half-and-half beef and pork smoked sausage, and mumbo sauce, a sort-of combination of sweet-and-sour sauce and barbecue sauce. I've never met a half-smoke I like, and the ladies of the house aren't crazy about sausage as a main course.

So I made wings with mumbo sauce. It's an unqualified success. I'd probably go with a little more vinegar and a little less sugar next time, but it is as advertised, the meeting of BBQ and sweet-and-sour sauces. Way better than the stuff that passes as BBQ sauce in some parts of the country. I don't think it will supplant Memphis as my go-to BBQ sauce, but it will peacefully coexist.

If anyone wants the recipe, PM me, or if I get multiple requests, I can post it.
You have to be fun to be around at the Big Dance ! You are making me hungry already.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a native Cincinnatian, this pleases me greatly. I'll have to drive up one day this summer and check it out!

A bit of warning... the restaurant is located on a side street that is currently closed due to construction of a hotel/parking deck around the corner. So you will have to navigate a bit through the construction zone.

And if anyone finds themselves in Cincinnati for breakfast, find a place that serves goetta -- another local delicacy.

I looked up goetta..... looks kinda like livermush

This thread has made me hungry :oops:

Reaction Score
A culinary homage to those who are about to fall! (Not meaning the Nats, as I am indifferent, but to our WBB opponents) What a wonderful tribute.

BAMA: "Those about to fall"? - you make that sound like the "last meal" on death row.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
BAMA: "Those about to fall"? - you make that sound like the "last meal" on death row.
It is nearly so for our opponents. Metaphorically speaking!

Reaction Score
Just as we suspected. A grin here conveying supportive acknowledgment of your intent , though we MIGHT have to wait until next for the "falling."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Tulane is always a favorite, as it means Cajun/Creole food. I actually made gumbo on Friday and red beans and rice Sunday, but as you might guess, I cook a lot of Cajun. Tonight will be pasta jambalaya. Yes, jambalaya does literally mean pig and rice, but pasta jambalaya i a real thing. I don't remember where I had it, it's been so long. But I loved it and made up a recipe that approximates what I had pretty well.

Best thing is, it's REALLY easy. 1 lb spicy sausage, 1 lb shrimp, 1 big can of tomato puree, and a few tsp of Tony Chachere's, all for 1 lb linguine. serve with real bread and fresh parmesan/romano. Along with regular jambalaya, it's one of the highest taste-to-effort meals in my arsenal.

Reaction Score
Tulane is always a favorite, as it means Cajun/Creole food. I actually made gumbo on Friday and red beans and rice Sunday, but as you might guess, I cook a lot of Cajun. Tonight will be pasta jambalaya. Yes, jambalaya does literally mean pig and rice, but pasta jambalaya i a real thing. I don't remember where I had it, it's been so long. But I loved it and made up a recipe that approximates what I had pretty well.

Best thing is, it's REALLY easy. 1 lb spicy sausage, 1 lb shrimp, 1 big can of tomato puree, and a few tsp of Tony Chachere's, all for 1 lb linguine. serve with real bread and fresh parmesan/romano. Along with regular jambalaya, it's one of the highest taste-to-effort meals in my arsenal.
OK I wanna try this. Do you pre-cook the sausage? Shrimp? How long do you cook the tomato puree and Tony Cachere's? With the meats in it? Is a "big can" the 28-ouncer? Do you cook long enough to reduce? Help?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Long distance pat on the back to @Bigboote. Thankfully, I just purchased an extra large drool cup so....

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OK I wanna try this. Do you pre-cook the sausage? Shrimp? How long do you cook the tomato puree and Tony Cachere's? With the meats in it? Is a "big can" the 28-ouncer? Do you cook long enough to reduce? Help?

I use spicy chorizo or hot Italian sausage, brown the whole links, then slice it. Add a 28-oz can of puree and the Tony's. Simmer around 1/2-1 hour. It should get pretty thick.

I steam the shrimp separately. If you like the flavor fishier, cook the shrimp in the sauce. I add the shrimp to the sauce while the pasta is boiling. I use linguine (10 minutes) or linguine fini (5 minutes). Did the former tonight and LOVED it.

I always add a bay leaf just because, and sometimes some thyme or parsley.

Enjoy and lemme know if I missed anything.

Reaction Score
I use spicy chorizo or hot Italian sausage, brown the whole links, then slice it. Add a 28-oz can of puree and the Tony's. Simmer around 1/2-1 hour. It should get pretty thick.

I steam the shrimp separately. If you like the flavor fishier, cook the shrimp in the sauce. I add the shrimp to the sauce while the pasta is boiling. I use linguine (10 minutes) or linguine fini (5 minutes). Did the former tonight and LOVED it.

Super - sounds great, thanks!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I'll be ready for next time now. Thanks. Enough of this though and I'll be a Bigboote.

Reaction Score

There is a restaurant in Westwood, Ca. that serves it ( the pasta is spaghetti ). And it is great!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom