Game Cancelled | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Game Cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here are some facts:

The National Guard can't use the Hartford Armory as it's being used as the state's CT Emergency Operation Center.

Here's why Rentschler Field won't be available on Thursday (article):

[Gov.] Malloy said 92,160 liter bottles of water and 21,300 meals were delivered to a staging area at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, and the supplies were then transferred to 37 towns. On Wednesday, 12 tractor trailers carrying water and 15 with food will arrive at Rentschler.
The UConn football game Thursday night at Rentschler is expected to be postponed until Saturday.

1 liter bottles come 12 per case, 60 cases per pallet or 720 bottles per pallet, 22 pallets per 53' truck 15,840 per truck
MRE's 12 per case, 48 cases per pallet, or 576 per pallet, 22 pallets per truck 12,672 per truck

C

Chief00

Business Lawyer, next time please read the actual post before you respond. My point is the facts on the ground do not change materially between Thursday Night and Friday when they dismantle the relief operation. The Operation is intended primarily for those who are suffering from power loss. By any projection there will still be 100k - 150k plus people without power then as compared to perhaps 200k or so on Thursday. So my point is if this was actually an indispensable operation for the folks without power on Thursday night, why is it being wound down when you still have probably 100- 200k or so w/o power on Friday afternoon -when it would have to stop to prepare for Saturday..

Of course the government failed in katrina. That is why government needs to be given far more slack to make sure they are overprepared for natural disasters, which is what the State is doing.

What is your first point -- that relief efforts can't be wound down at some point? You don't care that it looks like you're just trying to save face?

The State said "not yet" to a facility that it was using for disaster relief for Thursday evening on Tuesday and decided a day later that Saturday morning would be fine. You have to be beyond paranoid to be finding things suspicious in this.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Business Lawyer, next time please read the actual post before you respond. My point is the facts on the ground do not change materially between Thursday Night and Friday when they dismantle the relief operation. The Operation is intended primarily for those who are suffering from power loss. By any projection there will still be 100k - 150k plus people without power then as compared to perhaps 200k or so on Thursday. So my point is if this was actually an indispensable operation for the folks without power on Thursday night, why is it being wound down when you still have probably 100- 200k or so w/o power on Friday afternoon -when it would have to stop to prepare for Saturday..
From uconnhuskies.com:
Through the cooperation of United Technologies Corporation, it will be possible to have both the football game and the relief efforts run concurrently on Saturday.
So it sounds like a) the operation actually is indispensable since it is continuing through the weekend b) the decision makers wanted to continue the operation in the same location rather than shutting down and moving somewhere else in the state c) they needed a day or two to negotiate with UTC for the needed space. Aside from parking and traffic headaches (construction plus the relief effort) I think we got what we wanted, namely for this game to be played. And with it still being played at home as a bonus, it makes a decent story. You'd have a hard time being critical about the end result (unless your name is Jeff Jacobs).

Reaction Score
I thought Jacobs' piece was spot on. The game won't be played on Thursday because it just wasn't deemed important, which is evidence of a narrowminded, defeatest, can't do attitude. Thankfully the game will be played on Sat so there is no damage done unless you planned to attend and can no longer do so. I feared it would be cancelled and lead to the loss of two wins, Fordham and Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt because it would take away a chance for the team to gain some much needed experience.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The game won't be played on Thursday because it just wasn't deemed important, which is evidence of a narrowminded, defeatest, can't do attitude.
I just don't see it that way. At all. In fact, I see it as evidence that the decision makers had their priorities straight. It would have been nice if they could have worked out the logistics of moving the Guard operation over to UTC sooner, but considering that Thursday would have entailed infringing on a weekday with more employees in the parking lots, etc. I bet it just wasn't possible.

Reaction Score
I can definitely see both sides of the argument here, but what I can't see is the way people seem to know with 100% certainty what the right move is without all the facts.

Do you know why there are so few great leaders? Because leadership is hard. Sitting back at your computer desk and criticizing others? Well, that's easy.

Reaction Score
Do you know why there are so few great leaders? Because leadership is hard. Sitting back at your computer desk and criticizing others? Well, that's easy.

Wisdom.......

Reaction Score
The fact is that this game has been on the calendar for months and the state should have had some basic foresight in realizing there may be scheduling conflict if the Guard was still at the Rent and the UConn game. CT is a small state, but there had to be site alternatives for the 100 man Guard. We shouldn't have had to have this discussion of "if" they should move locations. Common sense says to go to a site that is not already booked for College game within 4 days of a hurricane. It is not like Irene caught us of guard.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Just spoke to my brother who says he can probably go (with 3 others) to the game now since it is not on a Thursday, which typically interferes with coaching youth football. If it is played on Saturday, the net/net likely won't be too bad.

Also, using the Rent as a staging area for a natural disaster (no matter how big or small of an event) is absolutely the right use of a public venue. We all want to see some football Thursday, but it is what it is. Make the best of it, and realize that you can now tailgate a lot more freely than on a typical Thursday night game.

Are you in Jacksonville?

Reaction Score
...at times like this.
You are thankful for small blessings that become big blessings.
You accept good karma where you can get it.
You are thankful for having your spirit lifted. You are thankful for having the chance to say, hey, this week sucks, but we're going to pull through this together and have some fun.
That's the feeling, in my opinion, that was lost by postponing UConn's opener.

I agree with his opinion on the 100 man operation and my group's tailgate is ruined because of this; but why is this feeling lost? The game is still going to be played. Tonight would have been fun, but Saturday won't be? Why not? They probably could have avoided this, but the response to the storm was their larger focus, as it should have been. I can live with them screwing up the time of a football game because they were focused on providing food and water to people after the worst tropical storm/hurricane in almost 20 years.

Reaction Score
The fact is that this game has been on the calendar for months and the state should have had some basic foresight in realizing there may be scheduling conflict if the Guard was still at the Rent and the UConn game. CT is a small state, but there had to be site alternatives for the 100 man Guard. We shouldn't have had to have this discussion of "if" they should move locations. Common sense says to go to a site that is not already booked for College game within 4 days of a hurricane. It is not like Irene caught us of guard.

common sense says the state chose that site to operate from for the same reason we chose to build a stadium there. it's centrally located, and close to major roads. get over it, some things are more important than a college football game. if the state even took into consideration a football game when trying to plan for hurricane relief then they should all be fired.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the fact that Jacobs is raising this as a question make some of you want to reconsider your position? Or your position that Jacobs is always wrong?

Reaction Score
It's easy to say in hindsight that the move to Saturday is no big deal and it certainly isn't a big deal, but the fact that the school was scrambling to make arrangements with Yale bowl yesterday tells me the game came close to not happening which would have been very difficult to take. My sense is that UCONN had to do some heavy lifting to pull this game out of the landfill, kudos to them and to UTC.

Reaction Score
The fact that the school reached out to Yale, and that Yale publicly stated they had no problems hosting the game, should tell you that the game never came close to being cancelled, despite the chicken little hysteria found on this board.

Reaction Score
The fact that the school reached out to Yale, and that Yale publicly stated they had no problems hosting the game, should tell you that the game never came close to being cancelled, despite the chicken little hysteria found on this board.
You misquoted me and never apologised. You are an idiot.
And how can someone with such a bleeding heart quote a right wing nut job like Ayn Rand on each of his posts?

Reaction Score
losing power is an inconvenience? does that mean a family of 4 living in a house for 5+/- days with with no functioning toilets is an "inconvenience"?
Yes, the football game is important. But not as important as dealing with a disaster. The game can be rescheduled, people need help now.

This is Chicken Little Hysteria. Ayn Rand would be ashamed of you. OMG no toilet for 5 days!!!!

Reaction Score
You misquoted me and never apologised. You are an idiot.
And how can someone with such a bleeding heart quote a right wing nut job like Ayn Rand on each of his posts?

This is Chicken Little Hysteria. Ayn Rand would be ashamed of you. OMG no toilet for 5 days!!!!

I'll try one last time before I heed Ayn's advice.

1) If no toilet for 5 days is nothing more than an inconvenience, then what do you call having to go to a football game on Saturday instead of Thursday?

2) If Jacobs is spot on, why is the game no longer fun just because it's being played on Saturday instead of Thursday? Why is playing Fordham so much more thrilling on a Thursday night than a Saturday afternoon?

3) You said we "prepared for a disaster that didn't happen." Now you want to claim that's not what you meant? Fine. If you think the state government was "over-prepared" and ready for a Katrina like disaster, then how do you explain only having 100 soldiers at the Rent? Do you think 100 soldiers could have handled the Katrina aftermath? Do you still think we were "over prepared"?

Since I am such an idiot, it should not be difficult to address these questions.

I'm far from a bleeding heart, but the death of Jazz gave me some perspective and is still a reminder of how unimportant one game of football is in the grand scheme of things. You should be so lucky to have but half the common sense of Ayn rand.

Reaction Score
I really have no dog in the fight, and I truly couldn't care less whether we play on Thursday or Saturday, but I think questions 1 & 2 are a little unfair since at the time this whole argument really started, nobody knew that we'd be playing on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I really have no dog in the fight, and I truly couldn't care less whether we play on Thursday or Saturday, but I think questions 1 & 2 are a little unfair since at the time this whole argument really started, nobody knew that we'd be playing on Saturday.
Are you kidding?

Check page 9 of the thread, I asked him the same questions before the Saturday announcement was made.

The press release said the game was "postponed", but metsfan reacted as if the game was cancelled. We knew Yale was available a day after the announcement, yet he claims that information means the game was close to being cancelled. How does an alternate venue publicly acknowledging their availability mean the game was close to being cancelled? It means the game was always going to be played because a backup plan was available. And still today he mocks the people without power (and indoor plumbing), but it's unfair I ask him to explain what is so inconvenient about changing plans?

Jeff Jacobs' editorial ran today that he agreed with. After learning the game was postponed, Jacobs' respone was "the thrill is gone". It's unfair to ask him why he no longer believes "we'd all pull through this together and have some fun" just because the game was rescheduled?

He hasn't changed his whine after learning new information.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

Check page 9 of the thread, I asked him the same questions before the Saturday announcement was made.

The press release said the game was "postponed", but metsfan reacted as if the game was cancelled. We knew Yale was available a day after the announcement, yet he claims that information means the game was close to being cancelled. How does an alternate venue publicly acknowledging their availability mean the game was close to being cancelled? It means the game was always going to be played because a backup plan was available. And still today he mocks the people without power (and indoor plumbing), but it's unfair I ask him to explain what is so inconvenient about changing plans?

Jeff Jacobs' editorial ran today that he agreed with. After learning the game was postponed, Jacobs' respone was "the thrill is gone". It's unfair to ask him why he no longer believes "we'd all pull through this together and have some fun" just because the game was rescheduled?

Dude what is your problem? You have been stalking me throughout this entire thread, misquoting me and taking things I have said out of context. Do you hate the Mets?

I posted about an hour ago that the move to Saturday is not a big deal. Like many others in this thread my only fear was that the game would be canceled.

I agree with Jeff Jacobs that with a little elbow grease the game could have been played tonight. I do not agree with him that the thrill is gone on Saturday and I never said I agreed with that but that was only a small part of his argument.

I am not mocking people who have lost power (my power was lost on Sunday and restored on Tuesday). I mocked you for claiming that that means disaster and for quoting Ayn Rand on your posts. I will say this for Ayn Rand, if she were in charge of the country the game would be played tonight because there would be no FEMA. Of course if she were in charge we might not have the Rent or UCONN for that matter.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding?

Wait a second, Jeff Jacobs never said "the thrill is gone" There you go misquoting again. Nice job wingnut.

Reaction Score
Dude what is your problem? You have been stalking me throughout this entire thread, misquoting me and taking things I have said out of context. Do you hate the Mets?

I posted about an hour ago that the move to Saturday is not a big deal. Like many others in this thread my only fear was that the game would be canceled.

I agree with Jeff Jacobs that with a little elbow grease the game could have been played tonight. I do not agree with him that the thrill is gone on Saturday and I never said I agreed with that but that was only a small part of his argument.

I am not mocking people who have lost power (my power was lost on Sunday and restored on Tuesday). I mocked you for claiming that that means disaster and for quoting Ayn Rand on your posts. I will say this for Ayn Rand, if she were in charge of the country the game would be played tonight because there would be no FEMA. Of course if she were in charge we might not have the Rent or UCONN for that matter.

Engaging in conversation is stalking?

"OMG no toilets!!!!" No, that's not mocking anyone without a usable bathroom, that's you being taken out of context. Go ahead and keep calling me names, because that's the foundation of any solid argument.

I didn't say no toilets meant disaster, I said the disaster has resulted in no toilets, which is more of an inconvenience than rescheduling a football game. If you're concerned about being taken out of context, perhaps you should extend the same courtesy?

FYI, sometimes quotes can be used to paraphrase, it's not misquoting someone, it's paraphrasing, and I clearly take Jacobs out of context, I summarized his opinion.

Why didn't you tell us whether or not the 100 soldiers at the Rent was the overpreparation for a Katrina-like disaster that you were referring to in your early rants?

Ayn Rand is right-wing? Ayn Rand had no use for political parties. You should stop pretending like you understand her objectivist philosophy.

Reaction Score
you didn't specify what you agreed with and didn't agree with in the article. you said (paraphrasing) his article was "spot on".

if you're going to agree with something before you disagree with it, you can't accuse people of taking you out of context Senator Kerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom