Gaines Fired in Phoenix! | The Boneyard

Gaines Fired in Phoenix!

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's about time. He has no idea how to use Griner. He had the most coveted player in years and had her as the third option in the offense, sometimes the 4th option. He had DT going crazy with technical fouls and Bonner running wild taking every shot she can.

WOOHOO!!! I'm thrilled

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think it might have happened too late. We'll see if this season can be turned around.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it might have happened too late. We'll see if this season can be turned around.

Hopefully not. They will still make the playoffs and at that point anything can happen.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Two seasons with terrible results, time to go. Maybe Donovan can move back west next year.

I think Mercury will try to work on improving their team................

Not sure how she will help unless the "ball girl" got canned too!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Mercury will try to work on improving their team................

Not sure how she will help unless the "ball girl" got canned too!
I was thinking of it helping the Sun, not Phoenix.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I thought Ann Meyers Drysdale was running the Mercury. Why am I confused?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Whoever the coach is, they have to get DT under control. She can't afford any Technical Fouls this season. Everyone knows the refs are bad, get used to it and play the game. She's a great player Top 2 or 3 in the league, her on court behavior is hurting the team and her.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Whoever the coach is, they have to get DT under control. She can't afford any Technical Fouls this season. Everyone knows the refs are bad, get used to it and play the game. She's a great player Top 2 or 3 in the league, her on court behavior is hurting the team and her.

hmmm...I wonder if Dee knew this (Gaines departure) was coming and her behaviour of late is a reflection of that? I am not talking about earlier behavoiur . Just lately.

Just throwing that out into the ether.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I like Gaines, we can use him with teh Sun, Donovan is a bust!

It's oft thought that defense wins games. I do not see any serious defensive "scenas" in the Merc under Gaines. I would rather he avoid the Sun and find someone else to coach that team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Over on ESPN Voepel takes a swipe at Griner's effort in her analysis of the situation. Interesting. CViv could never figure out how to use centers, but it ain't rocket science and no one would seriously argue that Gaines is a C Viv type coach. The short season of the WNBA puts pressure on everything. Leads to this kind of stuff.

Reaction Score
Over on ESPN Voepel takes a swipe at Griner's effort in her analysis of the situation. Interesting. CViv could never figure out how to use centers, but it ain't rocket science and no one would seriously argue that Gaines is a C Viv type coach. The short season of the WNBA puts pressure on everything. Leads to this kind of stuff.

Not really. C Viv has no offense and Gaines has no defense. Maybe they should work together?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I've watched every game and I've never seen Griner give a bad effort. If I had I would say it. But she has been third or fourth option all season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Can you tell me where she took a swipe at Griner's "effort?" I read the entire article and at NO POINT did Voepel say anything about Griner's effort.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
easttexastrash, You are not going blind. I went back to her article this AM and the last paragraph, where the sentence in question was, has been edited to delete it. I cannot accurately paraphrase it. It simply suggested that Griner's effort could have contributed to his demise. Thought it was unfair when I read it, 'cuz it was just thrown out there without explanation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Boy, having two home games against Tulsa can help a team pick up a couple of wins. Now let's see what they can do the rest of the season.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Boy, having two home games against Tulsa can help a team pick up a couple of wins. Now let's see what they can do the rest of the season.

Tulsa is rock bottom in the West, and only slightly behind the Sun. Will wait to see how they fare against Seattle or Chicago. This new coach is pushing defense, so there are positives to be had.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Indiana next and that won't be easy, but it is at home. Then San Antonio and Tulsa. They should win 2 of the next 3 at a minimum of they are a playoff team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a different coach suddenly makes a team a defensive team... I think it happens over time unless the Mercury were slouching all while Gaines was there.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I at the 2nd Tulsa game. The effort was phenomenal - something that had not always been seen under Gaines on the defensive end. Also saw Pernell tell DT to shut up (no, I don't know what words he used) once during the game. I admit I would understand DT better if I understood why she complains - even when the call is in Phoenix's favor.

Interesting, by the way, that the crowd booed one call pretty soundly - sitting in the 2nd row looking straight down the end line, yes, the ref actually got it right - but I admit, from most other viewpoints, you wouldn't see it. Very interesting to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom