Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams Suspended for WNBA Season

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just curious: Which is the flagship state university? (or another school?)
Nevada, which fought so hard to keep Las Vegas from having a University. In 1951, when the post-war boom had swollen Las Vegas' metropolitan population to more than 50,000, the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), established an extension program. Twenty-eight students began meeting for classes in the dressing rooms of Las Vegas High School's auditorium. In 1954, the Nevada Board of Regents founded the Southern Regional Division of the University of Nevada, popularly known as Nevada Southern. Students adopted the Rebel name and mascot to reflect their desire to break free from UNR. On September 10, 1957, the first classes were held on campus in a new 13,000-square-foot building, later named for Maude Frazier, a state assemblywoman and founding force behind Nevada Southern.

Despite its expansion, Nevada Southern remained under UNR's control. In fact, university officials required students to spend a semester in Reno before graduating. After fighting to become a degree-granting institution, Nevada Southern held its first commencement in 1964, graduating 29 students as the "Centennial Class" in honor of Nevada's 100th anniversary as a state. The next year, the school became Nevada Southern University, with its own curriculum. Donald Moyer served as its first chancellor and then became its first president in 1968, when the university finally won its autonomy under the state's higher-education system, giving it equal status to UNR.

In 1969, with the board of regents' approval, the university adopted its current name. By the following year, as Las Vegas' metropolitan population reached 275,000, UNLV enrolled more than 5,500 students. During the 1977-78 academic year, UNLV surpassed UNR in total enrollment.

Many people and students now days believe that the Rebel has something to do with the Civil War, which is incorrect. It was because of the University of Nevada and the politicians from Reno and the surrounding area that didn't want to give Las Vegas their own University. It was the State of Nevada's own war between the two sides and the powers to be in the North didn't want to lose control over what the students and the powers to be in Southern Nevada wanted.

That is why UNR is hated so much by many people in Southern Nevada and UNLV alums, such as my Son. The annual football game has what is considered to be the heaviest and most expensive college football trophy. It weighs 545 pounds and cost $10,000 to build, better known as the "Fremont Cannon", named after the American Explorer John C. Fremont.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nevada, which fought so hard to keep Las Vegas from having a University. In 1951, when the post-war boom had swollen Las Vegas' metropolitan population to more than 50,000, the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), established an extension program. Twenty-eight students began meeting for classes in the dressing rooms of Las Vegas High School's auditorium. In 1954, the Nevada Board of Regents founded the Southern Regional Division of the University of Nevada, popularly known as Nevada Southern. Students adopted the Rebel name and mascot to reflect their desire to break free from UNR. On September 10, 1957, the first classes were held on campus in a new 13,000-square-foot building, later named for Maude Frazier, a state assemblywoman and founding force behind Nevada Southern.

Despite its expansion, Nevada Southern remained under UNR's control. In fact, university officials required students to spend a semester in Reno before graduating. After fighting to become a degree-granting institution, Nevada Southern held its first commencement in 1964, graduating 29 students as the "Centennial Class" in honor of Nevada's 100th anniversary as a state. The next year, the school became Nevada Southern University, with its own curriculum. Donald Moyer served as its first chancellor and then became its first president in 1968, when the university finally won its autonomy under the state's higher-education system, giving it equal status to UNR.

In 1969, with the board of regents' approval, the university adopted its current name. By the following year, as Las Vegas' metropolitan population reached 275,000, UNLV enrolled more than 5,500 students. During the 1977-78 academic year, UNLV surpassed UNR in total enrollment.

Many people and students now days believe that the Rebel has something to do with the Civil War, which is incorrect. It was because of the University of Nevada and the politicians from Reno and the surrounding area that didn't want to give Las Vegas their own University. It was the State of Nevada's own war between the two sides and the powers to be in the North didn't want to lose control over what the students and the powers to be in Southern Nevada wanted.

That is why UNR is hated so much by many people in Southern Nevada and UNLV alums, such as my Son. The annual football game has what is considered to be the heaviest and most expensive college football trophy. It weighs 545 pounds and cost $10,000 to build, better known as the "Fremont Cannon", named after the American Explorer John C. Fremont.
Wow! I like Jerry Tarkanian even more now!

My favorite of his poses was with him seated and biting his towel, probably to not yell at the officiating..... God bless his family, as he passed in early 2015 just before Valentine's Day, and just days after Dean Smith also passed. I still have my UNLV sweatshirt that my brother-in-law bought for me when I was recovering from brain surgery - also in 1990 - the year of the UNLV Championship, and they were undefeated at the time as well in the 1990-91 season when he got it for me....

It's nice to finally hear "the rest of the story." Thanks "Paul Harvey" [a.k.a. MSGRET]!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hate the Wolf Pack all you want, but please don’t hate my beloved Wolfpack ?

giphy.gif

I do believe we share a common enemy

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

My favorite of his poses was with him seated and biting his towel, probably to not yell at the officiating..... God bless his family, as he passed in early 2015 just before Valentine's Day, and just days after Dean Smith also passed. I still have my UNLV sweatshirt that my brother-in-law bought for me when I was recovering from brain surgery - also in 1990 - the year of the UNLV Championship, and they were undefeated at the time as well in the 1990-91 season when he got it for me....

It's nice to finally hear "the rest of the story." Thanks "Paul Harvey" [a.k.a. MSGRET]!
The refs helped Duke in the 91 Championship on their phantom foul calls against UNLV in the second half.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

My oldest granddaughter is also a UNLV grad (class of 2019). She loved living in Las Vegas for 4 years. Lots of history between the two schools explained here. Thanks, good stuff.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

There is a statue of Tark outside of the Thomas & Mack Arena.

1620851053218.png

1620851109967.png

I've sat in that chair and had my picture taken. I've attended many UNLV women's BB games, and many NBA summer league games in the Thomas & Mack Arena and the adjacent Cox Pavilion, where the women play most of their games (2500 seats). Their games are seldom well attended. The Cox pavilion is more than adequate for their gameday needs. One thing I was impressed with was that ALL UNLV players stayed on the floor after home games to interact with the fans, taking pictures, signing autographs or just chatting with them. They were ALL very approachable, friendly, especially to the children who just adored them.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Hate the Wolf Pack all you want, but please don’t hate my beloved Wolfpack ?
I don't hate NC State, they made me a lot of money in 74 while I was stationed at Fort Bragg. There were many UCLA fans working in the Material Management Center, who were giving odds between 5-1 up to 10-1 odds against the Wolfpack. I made over $3,000.00 on the Semi finals game in Greensboro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom