Gabby the Forward | The Boneyard

Gabby the Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Gabby's growth and consistency at the Forward position continue to impress me (I know I'm not alone).

She often gave up several inches and more than a few pounds when defending the various Rutgers bigs, but she is showing that she has a VERY STRONG BASE that she knows how to use when playing behind her opponent. No shrinking violet on post defense here. She was giving as good as she got, rooting people out of preferred position, banging with the best of them. Very very impressive for a frosh to have that kind of lower-body power and grit.

Rebounding - her "rip it out violently of the air" style of rebounding, in traffic no less, is becoming less of a highlight and more of "just the way things are." STRONG , STRONG rebounding from this kid. Just really establishing a great consistency in this area, and although we pounded Rutgers, this was still a very physical game for Gabby to do what she was able to do. Also, there were numerous instances where she was in there with the Rutgers bigs, deflecting and tapping balls out with her incredible hops and desire, so that teammates could scoop up the ball. Very Maya-like.

She has maintained or even improved on her foot speed defensively when keeping ballhandlers in front of her. Really works hard in this area and does not give ground with contact. A freshman 5'11" player is doing this ? Really? Haven't seen this kind of defensive strength for a player this size since Kelly Faris.

It's one thing to be gifted with great hops. It's another to be able to be able to play Heather Buck -style post defense behind substantially bigger opponents, and it's yet another to be SUCH a tenacious rebounder with a great nose for the ball.

She sure has turned out to be quite a Forward!

Reaction Score
Here's my question in regards to her future: as well as she's adapted to the post and proven that she can be really effective, should she eventunally be moved towards the SF or SG position? There's not much doubt she'll continue to be extremely effective down low at the college level. But is it in the best interest of her pro prospects to at some point learn to play the wing?

Reaction Score
I think that you are correct, Farney, in that she will probably be moved to the wing next year. We will have a front line of Stewie, Morgan and Natalie. Gabby is far too talented to not get major minutes next year, somewhere. The kid has a nose for the ball, and great body control while in the air, shooting. Way up in the air!

Reaction Score
I'd love to see a lineup where she plays the 3. Good luck matching a normal SF up on her. She'd be killing them in the low post. And good luck trying to play a zone to slow her post ups with Mo and KLS on the squad.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see a lineup where she plays the 3. Good luck matching a normal SF up on her. She'd be killing them in the low post. And good luck trying to play a zone to slow her post ups with Mo and KLS on the squad.
1 - Jefferson
2 - Nurse
3 - Williams
4 - Stewart
5 - Butler

So what do we do with KLS & Collier?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

It would have been something to have her in at the 4 for some minutes when we had Stef. Stef was such a great triple-threat from the high post and she would have worked an amazing hi-lo game with Gabby. Stewie does a pretty good job at that position too but Stef was an even better passer from the high post IMO

Reaction Score
1 - Jefferson
2 - Nurse
3 - Williams
4 - Stewart
5 - Butler

I would have said KLS is more likely to be KML's replacement. Maybe not at first, but #1 recruits have a habit of starting sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
a) you forgot Morgan Tuck
and
b) I guess Geno will have to think like a hockey coach making line changes!

An embarrassment of riches next year!

I LUV Gabby's play. She is a game changer when she comes in. Having Stewie sit for most of the 1st half didn't seem to make much difference as Gabby (and others) took up the slack. Maybe opposition teams should rethink their "bang on Stewie until she has to be sat down" strategy as it seems to be backfiring.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think where Gabby plays will be dictated by what the team needs and her WNBA future will not factor into it. I am projecting that Morgan, Stewie, Natalie as the starters next year so the team will need a bench post player. Gabby fits the bill for next year and I think she will get many more minutes as a backup post because I am projecting KLS and The Pheenom will have the backup 2/3 position pretty much locked down.
PS
1) I did not mean to start a thread about who should be next year’s starters
2) The use of the nickname “The Pheenom” as it applies to Napheesa Collier and all derivations have been duly trademarked.
3) JK

Reaction Score
Let us not forget Morgan Tuck. I doubt she falls out of the rotation next season. :)
Oops. OK...

Starter/1A Sub/2 Sub
1 - Jefferson/Chong
2 - Nurse/???
3 - KLS/Williams
4 - Stewart/???
5 - Tuck/Butler

Where do you put Collier? May be hard to keep her on the bench too.

Reaction Score
An embarrassment of riches next year!

I LUV Gabby's play. She is a game changer when she comes in. Having Stewie sit for most of the 1st half didn't seem to make much difference as Gabby (and others) took up the slack. Maybe opposition teams should rethink their "bang on Stewie until she has to be sat down" strategy as it seems to be backfiring.
I think banging on Stewie will always be viable because any one you bring in for Stewie is not Stewie. I'm more concerned about her getting hurt.

Reaction Score
1 - Jefferson
2 - Nurse
3 - Williams
4 - Stewart
5 - Butler

I got this from ESPNW and paraphrasing, but when Gabby was being recruited, one question she would ask of would be coaches, was "can I (Gabby) redshirt my sophomore year to concentrate on making the Olympics (2016)". So not sure how she feels about this at this point in time. Anyone else have anything more to add on this topic?

Reaction Score
Oops. OK...

Starter/1A Sub/2 Sub
1 - Jefferson/Chong
2 - Nurse/???
3 - KLS/Williams
4 - Stewart/???
5 - Tuck/Butler

Where do you put Collier? May be hard to keep her on the bench too.

How about this:
1 Jefferson/Chong
2 Nurse/Collier
3 Williams/KLS-Ekmark
4 Tuck/Boykin
5 Stewart/Butler

As Slu has said previously, while KLS seems like the natural replacement for KML, she is a freshman and defense is of prime importance. Enter Gabby.
While there would obviously be a reduction in outside shooting from KML to Gabby, there would be an increase in rebounding and defense.
After watching both KLS and Collier (Boykin has been injured, haven't seen anything on her recently), I can't imagine that each won't see significant game-time at some point next year.
She hasn't competed in a high jump competition in 3 years. I think that ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
How about this:
1 Jefferson/Chong
2 Nurse/Collier
3 Williams/KLS-Ekmark
4 Tuck/Boykin
5 Stewart/Butler

As Slu has said previously, while KLS seems like the natural replacement for KML, she is a freshman and defense is of prime importance. Enter Gabby.
While there would obviously be a reduction in outside shooting from KML to Gabby, there would be an increase in rebounding and defense.
After watching both KLS and Collier (Boykin has been injured, haven't seen anything on her recently), I can't imagine that each won't see significant game-time at some point next year.
She hasn't competed in a high jump competition in 3 years. I think that ship has sailed.
I like it, except doesn't Stewie excel most at the 4?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think where Gabby plays will be dictated by what the team needs and her WNBA future will not factor into it. I am projecting that Morgan, Stewie, Natalie as the starters next year so the team will need a bench post player. Gabby fits the bill for next year and I think she will get many more minutes as a backup post because I am projecting KLS and The Pheenom will have the backup 2/3 position pretty much locked down.
PS
1) I did not mean to start a thread about who should be next year’s starters
2) The use of the nickname “The Pheenom” as it applies to Napheesa Collier and all derivations have been duly trademarked.
3) JK
FYI I do hope you are right that Butler ends up starting, but I do think that only 4 starters spots are "guaranteed".

Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck and Stewie. I actually believe the 5th starter could come from any 1 of 4 players - Butler, Williams, Collier, or Samuelson. I know there are pros and cons to each one and I bet there will be interesting and spirited debates over the summer. Honestly I have no idea who I'd "prefer", but...
  1. Put Butler out there and you have a legit and skilled back to the basket center and she can bang around in the post with the other teams' center leaving Stewie more free to roam
  2. Put Williams out there and you have an undersized kid who is crazy-athletic and tough as nails and plays like she's on a pogo stick.
  3. Put Samuelson out there and (yeah she's a freshman as is Collier) you have a kid who shoots like KML but is 3" taller
  4. Put Collier out there and you have a do everything 3/4 who has a game that is almost as good as Maya Moore's.
You can't go wrong with any of them. I don't think Chong becomes a starter next year mainly because UCONN would them really have no "really skilled" guard off the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like it, except doesn't Stewie excel most at the 4?

Yes, but that's been the starting lineup (Stewie at 5, Morgan at 4 and KML at 3) for all but a few games this year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, but that's been the starting lineup (Stewie at 5, Morgan at 4 and KML at 3) for all but a few games this year.
Actually, if you watch them play (particularly last night), Morgan plays closer to the basket than Stewie on offense most of the time. On defense, it's true that Stewie is closest to the basket to block shots as the last line of defense.

I agree with those who say that the four returning 2014-15 starters are near-locks to remain starters next year, and that the 5th position could be any of those mentioned (Butler, Williams, KLS, or Collier). My hunch is that unless one of the freshmen really distinguishes herself, Butler or Williams will have the inside track based on their year of experience and knowledge of the UConn offense and defense.

I think Gabby has to develop at least a mid-range jump shot, and she certainly has to become a reliable free throw shooter, before she can expect to start. Even then, it will be hard for her to play against teams with bigs who are both talented and over 6-3. If she improves in those two areas, however, I think she will probably be the 5th starter. On the other hand, if Butler proves that (unlike Kiah) she can be productive at both ends of the court, she will certainly deserve consideration.

A "second team" of (hypothetically) Boykin, Collier, Samuelson, Ekmark, and Chong would be more formidable than some Top-50 team's starting lineup. They might see a lot of action given how many utterly non-competitive games UConn will have next year.

Reaction Score
I got this from ESPNW and paraphrasing, but when Gabby was being recruited, one question she would ask of would be coaches, was "can I (Gabby) redshirt my sophomore year to concentrate on making the Olympics (2016)". So not sure how she feels about this at this point in time. Anyone else have anything more to add on this topic?
Recently a reporter asked her a similar question. She replied that she wasn't even thinking about it right now. How's that for good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom