FYI Syracuse athletes | The Boneyard

FYI Syracuse athletes

Reaction Score
I just got a notice that beginning June 8, 2020 Syracuse athletes can return to campus to do volunteer workouts. It sure looks like things are beginning to look up for sports of some kind this fall. NY is now in its phase 2 of opening for the counties at least in central and western NY. It has now been about 2.5 weeks since reopening began and the governor today announced the lowest new cases and deaths (first time in 10 weeks it has been below 50 in the state). Restaurants can begin outdoor service beginning tomorrow. hopeful sign. I will still use social distancing and wear my mask when in public and not push my luck.

Reaction Score
But then there's this:

"There’s no consensus among Connecticut colleges on the best way to hold classes in the fall amid the pandemic, but they all agree they need new protections from COVID-19 related lawsuits.

"The schools say that, because the situation is unprecedented, it’s hard to predict the liability a university may face should it allow students to return and there be an outbreak or, worse, deaths."

If the universities need to be given immunity from lawsuits in order to open up because they think kids might get sick and die, then why are they even considering opening up? And what message does that send to parents deciding whether to send their kids to those universities that demand immunity from prosecution before opening the dorms?

Really glad my kids aren't in college. In fact, both are working from home, their offices having been closed for weeks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But then there's this:

"There’s no consensus among Connecticut colleges on the best way to hold classes in the fall amid the pandemic, but they all agree they need new protections from COVID-19 related lawsuits.

"The schools say that, because the situation is unprecedented, it’s hard to predict the liability a university may face should it allow students to return and there be an outbreak or, worse, deaths."

If the universities need to be given immunity from lawsuits in order to open up because they think kids might get sick and die, then why are they even considering opening up? And what message does that send to parents deciding whether to send their kids to those universities that demand immunity from prosecution before opening the dorms?

Really glad my kids aren't in college. In fact, both are working from home, their offices having been closed for weeks.

I imagine the general approach to liability in this new era will ultimately be of the following type
(with many more bells and whistles)

1) We really do not know how to provide this service with zero risk so we are providing this service according to the best practices possible while still being able to provide this service

2) Students (and Faculty and workers) must understand that we cannot guarantee completely safe conditions and by agreeing to attend even with this potential risk, they are ultimately liable for their health.

Reaction Score
I imagine the general approach to liability in this new era will ultimately be of the following type
(with many more bells and whistles)

1) We really do not know how to provide this service with zero risk so we are providing this service according to the best practices possible while still being able to provide this service

2) Students (and Faculty and workers) must understand that we cannot guarantee completely safe conditions and by agreeing to attend even with this potential risk, they are ultimately liable for their health.

I suppose the real threat is that doctors are warning that the second wave of this disease will come this fall and winter, and that combined with the flu season, the second wave could be far deadlier than what we've experienced to date. And it might become uncontrollable.

So my nightmare is that the doctors are right, and this horrible disease sweeps through UConn and other universities, seriously sickening students and killing older professors and deans.

I think these reopening efforts are live hand grenades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom