Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fudd is down to UCLA and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can talk all you want to about the "Sunny South", The "West Coast", "The Wild West", or "Where The Corn Is As High As An Elephant's Eye", but I'll take New England in the early autumn over all of them. There is something to be said about the four seasons, even for those who hate ice and snow. And our University is snuggled out in sort of a bubble that for all intents and purposes has appealed to a large number recruits for several years.

Reaction Score
there's so much to do in Los Angeles......... WBB is way down on the list in terms of fan interest............. UCLA attendance averaged 2,940 per game to rank #44 in the country..............UConn is still basketball happy averaging 9,527 per game to place them in 5th place nationally..........you put Azzi and Paige together and I bet that Gampel will be packed...........

Reaction Score
Is a "Diary Bar" where you go to record your deeply personal thoughts and drown your sorrows? We called them "locals" in Pittsburgh. But mostly did not write as much as bloviate. ;):rolleyes:
Bama, when I was a kid I used to drown my sorrows at a local "Islays". Usually with a chipped ham bar b que and a shake. If I felt like splurging I'd top it of with a skytop rainbow cone.

Reaction Score
For all we know Azzi's family is moving to the west coast like Paige's is moving to the east coast.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Azzi is going to have to take into account the taxes in California vs Connecticut once she starts getting paid for her followers. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
For all we know Azzi's family is moving to the west coast like Paige's is moving to the east coast.

yeah, this is one of those times where one of these things is not like the other has to make you feel anxious.

Reaction Score
yeah, this is one of those times where one of these things is not like the other has to make you feel anxious.
I definitely didn't see this one coming. Thought it was ultimately down to us, or Maryland if she wanted to stay close to home, so maybe UCLA will eventually be the close to home choice.

Reaction Score
Cori always manages to make the final 10 choices of many of the top recruits each year. However, she can never really make it beyond that for most of the top recruits.

Of the two schools, one coach has proven they can manage and rebuild players who have suffered an ACL tear.

I would love for Azzi to choose UConn but, if it’s UCLA, South Carolina remains the real threat to UConn for the next few years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A poster commented over the weekend that he had personal "inside" information about Azzi. Whether or not you believe him is up to each individual here. Sounds like a troll. He said that she has made her decision, but could not disclose it which made sense. If that poster is to be believed, then the UCLA mention is indeed a red herring. I tried to find the post to reference it, but it appears to have either taken down or deleted. The poster said we think we know were she's going but we don't. Paraphrasing: most of you will be happy with her choice. What does that mean?

Why would that poster come into this board and tease us like that? If you know and can't/won't tell us, then don't say anything. Reading between the lines of his post, I could make an argument that she's coming to Storrs. I don't keep up with the recruitment end of WCBB, but I don't recall every seeing a picture posted of her attending a UCLA game, or reading a comment or social medial post about her attending a UCLA game. Most athletes go to a school because of the head coach, not the buildings or landscape. Sure, the ambiance may play a small role in the overall decision, very small. C'mon, If you compare Cori Close to Geno, there is no comparison.

Here's Cori Close's head coaching career in a nutshell:
Cori Rashel Close - current head women's basketball coach at UCLA. Hired in 2011.
Before UCLA, she was an assistant coach at Florida State University and her alma mater, UC Santa Barbara. Wikipedia
Born: July 29, 1971 (age 49 years), Milpitas, CA
Team: UCLA Bruins women's basketball
Conference: Pacific-12 Conference
Education: University of California, Santa Barbara
Record: 195–103 (.654)
Has gotten to the elite 8 once (2017-2018) in a NCAA postseason tournament.
WNIT champion in 2014-2015.
No conference championships

1601939021679.png

What's the lure here? The ambiance of the university, Westwood and Southern California?, or the coaches and their track record? Just curious. :rolleyes:

I'll admit one thing, I'm in the dark about this like everyone else. Ol' Carnac will have to take a pass on this one.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I forget but did Sabrina help Oregon win something important? I really don't remeber and I have no dog in that hunt..
She made Oregon relevant and a popular school for WCBB players to attend. She took them from nowhere to somewhere. Look at the quality recruits Oregon is getting now. She said she did not want to go to a school that had an established program. She wanted to go where she could help establish a program and she was successful at doing that.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Perhaps this is being considered...... per Jason Setchen @AthleticDefender: When the Name, Image and Likeness rules officially change, the landscape of perennial winning programs will shift. Miami, UCLA, SMU, University of Southern California etc. will return to dominance. The marketing opportunities in these great cities will level the playing field.

I gotta think that's mostly about football, and maybe men's basketball to a lesser degree.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well when you first responded with an emoji with a question mark and exclamation point it comes off as sort of mocking and petty. In general you seem to question recruits a lot if they don't pick the best team out there relative to their options, which is completely subjective and factors in more than just basketball which you fail to account for.

Are you continuing to monitor this thread? A number of posters have been quite dismissive of UCLA, more so than I was. Obviously I'm not the only one who would be quite surprised to see her end up there.

Reaction Score
Hmm. We are talking about a teenager. I could see a teenager who has had their parents control every moment of their life and I mean every moment since they are obsessed with her basketball entertain the idea of getting as far away as possible....maybe it's even a tactic to get them to take a step back a bit so she can go to UConn in peace. Don't forget we are talking about kids..

Reaction Score
A poster commented over the weekend that he had personal "inside" information about Azzi. Whether or not you believe him is up to each individual here. He said that she has made her decision, but could not disclose it which made sense. If that poster is to be believed, then the UCLA mention is indeed a red herring. I tried to find the post to reference it, but it appears to have either taken down or deleted. The poster said we think we know were she's going but we don't. Paraphrasing: most of you will be happy with her choice. What does that mean?

Why would that poster come into this board and tease us like that? If you know and can't/won't tell us, then don't say anything. Reading between the lines of his post, I could make an argument that she's coming to Storrs. I don't keep up with the recruitment end of WCBB, but I don't recall every seeing a picture posted of her attending a UCLA game, or reading a comment or social medial post about her attending a UCLA game. Most athletes go to a school because of the head coach, not the buildings or landscape. Sure, the ambiance may play a small role in the overall decision, very small. C'mon, If you compare Cori Close to Geno, there is no comparison.

Here's Cori Close's head coaching career in a nutshell:
Cori Rashel Close - current head women's basketball coach at UCLA. Hired in 2011.
Before UCLA, she was an assistant coach at Florida State University and her alma mater, UC Santa Barbara. Wikipedia
Born: July 29, 1971 (age 49 years), Milpitas, CA
Team: UCLA Bruins women's basketball
Conference: Pacific-12 Conference
Education: University of California, Santa Barbara
Record: 195–103 (.654)
Has gotten to the elite 8 once (2017-2018) in a NCAA postseason tournament.
WNIT champion in 2014-2015.
No conference championships

View attachment 59423

What's the lure here? The ambiance of the university, Westwood and Southern California?, or the coaches and their track record? Just curious. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this is being considered...... per Jason Setchen @AthleticDefender: When the Name, Image and Likeness rules officially change, the landscape of perennial winning programs will shift. Miami, UCLA, SMU, University of Southern California etc. will return to dominance. The marketing opportunities in these great cities will level the playing field.

I'll admit one thing, I'm in the dark about this like everyone else. Ol' Carnac will have to take a pass on this one.

It may simply be that Fudd & Close clicked.

And I don't see wcbb players being on late night TV in LA telling you to get on down to Lucky Joe's Autos.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bama, when I was a kid I used to drown my sorrows at a local "Islays". Usually with a chipped ham bar b que and a shake. If I felt like splurging I'd top it of with a skytop rainbow cone.
Yes , I did so too. But Islay's was more of a "Dairy Bar'. Whereas @JohnathonXIV was referring to the infamous Storrs "Diary Bar", no doubt a Pepysian watering hole. ;)

Reaction Score
I gotta think that's mostly about football, and maybe men's basketball to a lesser degree.

I agree, I also think perennial football powers like Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. will be just fine despite not being located in the sexiest marketing cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom