FSU to B12... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FSU to B12...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grant of Rights.

Why post if you don't bother to read the thread?

People here assume the superconference idea is temporary? For as long as the B12 contract? And that the contract doesn't have holes in it? Read the thread.

Reaction Score
Why post if you don't bother to read the thread?

People here assume the superconference idea is temporary? For as long as the B12 contract? And that the contract doesn't have holes in it? Read the thread.
The Pac-12 has plenty of options in the west that can be developed. Let me start listing. Whaler11, have mercy on me. lol

SDSU
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
BYU
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
Wyoming (Wyoming's population might be too small [586K], but I'd still move there in the snap of a finger, if I could. Nebraska managed to get accepted into the B1G with a population of 1.8 million.)

Some of those schools have a long way to go to develop. They are options, nonetheless. Conferences are taking their time to add for a reason or multiple reasons.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 has plenty of options in the west that can be developed. Let me start listing. Whaler11, have mercy on me. lol

SDSU
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
BYU
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii
Wyoming (Wyoming's population might be too small [586K], but I'd still move there in the snap of a finger, if I could. Nebraska managed to get accepted into the B1G with a population of 1.8 million.)

Some of those schools have a long way to go to develop. They are options, nonetheless. Conferences are taking their time to add for a reason or multiple reasons.

Agreed. By the way, several of those schools are also options for the Big12. BYU is already worthy of either league, it just has scheduling issues. New Mexico and Nevada have loads of potential, and have had some success in basketball and for Nevada, football. The rest are also-rans, but SDSU, Fresno State and SJSU have both had some pretty solid football teams from time to time. Boise would really need to upgrade its non football sports to be considered, and academics as well. U Idaho is probably better in that regard (like Wyoming). Either league would pump money into those programs and make them more competitive.

Reaction Score
Agreed. By the way, several of those schools are also options for the Big12. BYU is already worthy of either league, it just has scheduling issues. New Mexico and Nevada have loads of potential, and have had some success in basketball and for Nevada, football. The rest are also-rans, but SDSU, Fresno State and SJSU have both had some pretty solid football teams from time to time. Boise would really need to upgrade its non football sports to be considered, and academics as well. U Idaho is probably better in that regard (like Wyoming). Either league would pump money into those programs and make them more competitive.

Boise State basketball seems to be doing pretty well this year.

Reaction Score

SDSU
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
BYU
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii

Why would the Pac10 do this? Look at my map of sparsely populated western states that produce no football talent and have no tv markets. This really isn't going to happen. It's like taking money and giving it to other schools out of kindness.

Reaction Score
Why would the Pac10 do this? Look at my map of sparsely populated western states that produce no football talent and have no tv markets. This really isn't going to happen. It's like taking money and giving it to other schools out of kindness.
Not all of those areas I mentioned are sparsely populated. But in the end, college sports is comparable to minor leagues. Markets are what matter. Not recruiting hotbeds. Do you think Idaho is a recruiting hotbed for football? People are somehow already speculating that Boise State is a potential add for the Pac-12 or the Big 12.

Reaction Score
SDSU and SJSU are solid market adds. San Jose is now one of the largest cities in California. Third largest. I'd expect New Mexico to keep growing in population, same with Nevada. The demographics of this country have changed immensely over the past 25 years and will continue to change.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
SDSU and SJSU are solid market adds. San Jose is now one of the largest cities in California. Third largest. I'd expect New Mexico to keep growing in population, same with Nevada. The demographics of this country have changed immensely over the past 25 years and will continue to change.

I know, I used to live in San Jose. It has been bigger than San Francisco for more than 20 years, but shares the same TV market. Stanford overlaps quite a bit and so does Cal, those are the top schools in the Bay Area.
The real issue for SJSU is that it's a commuter school of low academic standing. Fresno is too, but at least it's isolated from any other Pac 12 member. SDSU and Fresno would have an edge over SJSU for sure (and have had better sports as well). I think Nevada and New Mexico are very valuable schools and the B12 should snap them up ASAP.

Reaction Score
Coincidence? Personally I don't think so. But we'll see. Rumor is the B1G is interested in Kansas (don't ask me why). Bet nothing comes of it. Because of the GOR.

BiG rumor over Kansas is because they are state flagship university, can help with the KC market, especially as it appears that Mizzo is lost to the BIG for the foreseeable future, have a blueblood basketball team, and Nebraska is crying about losing their old dance partner (not sure why Nebraska can’t pair-up with Iowa, which is closer, is beyond me). They are an option; but, everyone is skeptical because of the GOR issue.

Reaction Score
I know, I used to live in San Jose. It has been bigger than San Francisco for more than 20 years, but shares the same TV market. Stanford overlaps quite a bit and so does Cal, those are the top schools in the Bay Area.
The real issue for SJSU is that it's a commuter school of low academic standing. Fresno is too, but at least it's isolated from any other Pac 12 member. SDSU and Fresno would have an edge over SJSU for sure (and have had better sports as well). I think Nevada and New Mexico are very valuable schools and the B12 should snap them up ASAP.
Trends seem to support large public schools. Look at how far UConn has come. We finally have an FBS level football program. If Louisville was able to get into the ACC, anything is possible now. I'd expect the most prominent public schools who are not so great academically to eventually greatly improve academically.

Reaction Score
Coincidence? Personally I don't think so. But we'll see. Rumor is the B1G is interested in Kansas (don't ask me why). Bet nothing comes of it. Because of the GOR.

BiG rumor over Kansas is because they are state flagship university, can help with the KC market, especially as it appears that Mizzo is lost to the BIG for the foreseeable future, have a blueblood basketball team, and Nebraska is crying about losing their old dance partner (not sure why Nebraska can’t pair-up with Iowa, which is closer, is beyond me). They are an option; but, everyone is skeptical because of the GOR issue.
If 18+ is the goal, the B1G can probably add Kansas way down the road.

Reaction Score
Not all of those areas I mentioned are sparsely populated. But in the end, college sports is comparable to minor leagues. Markets are what matter. Not recruiting hotbeds. Do you think Idaho is a recruiting hotbed for football? People are somehow already speculating that Boise State is a potential add for the Pac-12 or the Big 12.

My point was about markets and football. The markets are teeny.

I don't see any area mentioned other than Provo, Utah with a market.

Reaction Score

SDSU
UNLV
Nevada
Boise State
Colorado State
New Mexico
BYU
Fresno State
San Jose State
Hawaii

From the above list, BYU is clearly the premier unaffiliated college program out there and both PAC and XII are are interested. But, they have issues and egos, almost a light version of ND out West. Of the others, SDSU has the most potential in terms of name, revenue, recruiting, etc. After that, I would call it UNLV, New Mexico, and then Nevada. Hawaii could be of interest, too; but, it’s an isolated market and requires major travel dollars. Boise State while currently popular is from a sparsely populated state, has only football. Colorado State plays second fiddle to U Colorado. Does anyone in CA know where Fresno State is? San Jose State would likely be blocked by Stanford and Cal not wanting to give-up their ‘territory.’

Reaction Score
Trends seem to support large public schools. Look at how far UConn has come. We finally have an FBS level football program. If Louisville was able to get into the ACC, anything is possible now. I'd expect the most prominent public schools who are not so great academically to eventually greatly improve academically.

But the reality is that all public universities are going backwards in education, not improving. The reality is we constantly discuss how to lower standards and reduce academic excellence. The schools with endowments and high tuitions and reps already will likely survive. The rest will trend toward satellite campuses or community colleges (I'm not saying this is a bad thing). Unless you have truly heroic state leadership (lacking almost everywhere), public education will almost certainly decline in the next couple of decades.

We saw this already with an attempt at U. Virginia to lower standards. The President's refusal began a war. At other schools, there is much less resistance.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

KU is their oldest rival, and is closer (U Iowa is in eastern Iowa, Cedar Rapids). I can personnaly tell you that NU fans travel very well to Lawrence, it's freaking unbelievable. Like an invasion. In the realignment of B1G divisions, NU will be playing Iowa as well.

My dream scenario remains KU and UConn to the B1G. But I dare not dream.

Reaction Score
My point was about markets and football. The markets are teeny.

I don't see any area mentioned other than Provo, Utah with a market.
Utah is the 10th least densely populated state in the US. Utah has three FBS level schools. And the Utes still got into the Pac-12. Look at the SEC. Do you think the SEC is centered around huge metropolises? Two schools in Mississippi and Alabama? College athletics now generally tends to aim for or develop around areas that lack professional franchises. Collegiate athletics used to be more popular than professional athletics. Not anymore, obviously. Austin better hope they never get an NFL franchise.

If you don't think San Jose or New Mexico or Nevada (at least) have potential, I have no idea what to tell you.

Reaction Score
But the reality is that all public universities are going backwards in education, not improving. The reality is we constantly discuss how to lower standards and reduce academic excellence. The schools with endowments and high tuitions and reps already will likely survive. The rest will trend toward satellite campuses or community colleges (I'm not saying this is a bad thing). Unless you have truly heroic state leadership (lacking almost everywhere), public education will almost certainly decline in the next couple of decades.

We saw this already with an attempt at U. Virginia to lower standards. The President's refusal began a war. At other schools, there is much less resistance.
With the direction the economy is going and the cost of higher education still going up, where do you think students will go? Public or private schools?

Reaction Score
I'd love to continue yapping but have two appointments I have to get ready for to go to. See you around.

Reaction Score
KU is their oldest rival, and is closer (U Iowa is in eastern Iowa, Cedar Rapids). I can personnaly tell you that NU fans travel very well to Lawrence, it's freaking unbelievable. Like an invasion. In the realignment of B1G divisions, NU will be playing Iowa as well.

My dream scenario remains KU and UConn to the B1G. But I dare not dream.

Did not know that. So it’ like going to see UConn men’s hoops at Providence, St John’s or Seton Hall?
Nothing wrong with dreaming at this point…

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did not know that. So it’ like going to see UConn men’s hoops at Providence, St John’s or Seton Hall?
Nothing wrong with dreaming at this point…

It's exactly like that, with two exceptions.
(1) Nebraska wins. I keep going to the games at Providence, 25 minutes from my house, and the Huskies keep blowing the game! I'm debating whether I should risk it again this year.
(2) They come in winnebagos, pick-ups pulling campers and so on. And every vehicle, thousands of them, has flags and streamers and all manner of Nebraska crap all over them. They come early, stay late. They all wear red. Quite a few of the students arrive the night before and hit the bars, which becomes pretty interesting. KU fans still outnumber them at the game, but it's a sizable presence (more than the entire capacity of the Dunk or Gampel).

Reaction Score
Utah is the 10th least densely populated state in the US. Utah has three FBS level schools. And the Utes still got into the Pac-12. Look at the SEC. Do you think the SEC is centered around huge metropolises? Two schools in Mississippi and Alabama? College athletics now generally tends to aim for or develop around areas that lack professional franchises. Collegiate athletics used to be more popular than professional athletics. Not anymore, obviously. Austin better hope they never get an NFL franchise.

If you don't think San Jose or New Mexico or Nevada (at least) have potential, I have no idea what to tell you.

But the SEC is about history before these things even mattered.

I think the schools listed have ZERO potential. Next to none. They won't be contributing $$ to the other schools.

Reaction Score
With the direction the economy is going and the cost of higher education still going up, where do you think students will go? Public or private schools?

I thought we were talking about schools increasing their academic profile. The reality is that schools are reducing their academic profile. You can't make it any blunter than what the recent U. Cal. President said at Frosh Orientation: "You will pay double for a lot less education than your predecessors received."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom