Foxsports - Best college coaches of all time | The Boneyard

Foxsports - Best college coaches of all time

Reaction Score
I hate to bring up the blue blood thing again but this should cement it. I've always felt that we were the Joey Bishop of the blue bloods.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I looked at that top picture and wondered how they were going to make a case for Ben Howland on there. I guess Pitt had a nice run?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rupp does not belong. In addition to being a horrible human being, he won during an era where most of the best teams went to the NIT, and he inflated his winning percentage against an SEC that was segregated until the very end of Rupp's career.

I think Bobby Knight is overrated. Yes, he won 3 titles, and the second team that won wasn't that good, but he had a lot of down years for a top coach, and he inherited a top program in an era where basketball was still a regional sport and Indiana was one of the top regions for talent.

Should be included somewhere:

Denny Crum only has two championships, but he was an incredible coach and one of the most innovative of his era.

Jay Wright is top 10 of all time.

Reaction Score
You just have to accept that UCLA bought players in a time when there was no real supervision of Wooden's program. UCLA players were given cars, cash and apartments.

Reaction Score
Plus it completely misses the fact that Calhoun BUILT his program from nothing. I mean UCLA, Dook, Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina, Kansas. A middling coach could have success just recruiting off the history of those programs. Calhoun's was 100% his own creation, and in far from a hotbed of backyard talent (and whatever miniscule D1 talent there was went elsewhere every year until he established the program).

Reaction Score
I think Bobby Knight is overrated. Yes, he won 3 titles, and the second team that won wasn't that good, but he had a lot of down years for a top coach, and he inherited a top program in an era where basketball was still a regional sport and Indiana was one of the top regions for talent.
Bobby Knight was an incredible head coach. IU was not a blue blood until he got there as they had been to 5 NCAA Tournaments before he got there (but won 2) and then lead them to 23 NCAATs in 28 years with 3 championships and 5 total Final Fours and won the NIT once, NIT runner up once, CCAT champion once. They had losing seasons in 5 of the 8 years before he got there.

At Army, Knight went 102-50 and Coach K went 73-59. He's tied with the most NCAA tournament appearances at Texas Tech.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"Yeah, let's do a Top 6 Coaches story today. No need to give it a byline."

Reaction Score
Roy Williams should be out. Dean Smith, Pitino and Jay Wright over him. Maybe Mark Few too, though without a championship it’s hard to put him up there.

Reaction Score
If these are by ranking I would move Calhoun and Knight above Williams. Surprised Smith didn’t make instead of Roy.

Reaction Score
Rupp does not belong. In addition to being a horrible human being, he won during an era where most of the best teams went to the NIT, and he inflated his winning percentage against an SEC that was segregated until the very end of Rupp's career.

Should be included somewhere:

Denny Crum only has two championships, but he was an incredible coach and one of the most innovative of his era.

Jay Wright is top 10 of all time.
Total agree about Rupp. Could not disagree more about Knight. He won without major stars, except Zeke. He got every ounce of potential out of most of his teams. Yes, he was the biggest jackass in the barn, but that jerk could coach.

Rupp is mostly hype, and he won in a very tainted era.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I looked at that top picture and wondered how they were going to make a case for Ben Howland on there. I guess Pitt had a nice run?
I imagine you know this, but Howland was coach of UCLA at time that photo was taken.

That said, Howland did have nice runs at three schools, and may be a top 25 coach.

Reaction Score
Total agree about Rupp. Could not disagree more about Knight. He won without major stars, except Zeke. He got every ounce of potential out of most of his teams. Yes, he was the biggest jackass in the barn, but that jerk could coach.

Rupp is mostly hype, and he won in a very tainted era.
Zeke was the only guy he ever coached who made an NBA all-star team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My Avatar is the GOAT

More with less, much less, than any of the others mentioned

And he did it in the modern era. Not the shortened tournament with the highest rated classes who didn't leave early

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hate to bring up the blue blood thing again but this should cement it. I've always felt that we were the Joey Bishop of the blue bloods
Wooden - Sinatra
Dean Smith - Martin
Knight - Bishop
Roy Williams - Lawford
K - Sammy Davis
JC - Don Rickles

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roy Williams over Dean Smith?

More 'chips at Carolina. More total wins. He choked a few times at Kansas but Dean choked a few times at Carolina.

Close overall, but Roy has a solid case over Dean. If you put Dean in before Roy you won't get any complaints.

Just glad that booger hooker cheater from south canada was correctly left off the list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom