Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fox - Big East exclusive negotiating window

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I’ve heard this. I said in this thread or another that the Big East would absorb the ACC leftovers and begin playing football again. It could be the other way around, but that really depends on what brand is considered better. I’d prefer that it be called the Big East, the ACC has negative connotations these days.

The ESPN love fest the last two weeks was interesting and Gameday was outstanding.
How about calling it the "Big AC"... That makes it still sound sort of like the Big East? ;-)

I can't see this happening as it's too clean a resolution for us, and I can't imagine the Catholic schools would ever align themselves again with football in any capacity, notwithstanding our FBS program and the 3 FCS programs.

Reaction Score
Yeah...the OBE had some good rivalries...I followed WVU-Pitt in the Backyard Brawl...and rooted against the Canes...VT finally beat Miami (maybe mid 90's) and ran off a string of five wins over the Canes...

I stopped following BE football when Miami, VT, WVU left.

I really followed individual teams...not the conference..

Reaction Score
How about calling it the "Big AC"... That makes it still sound sort of like the Big East? ;-)

I can't see this happening as it's too clean a resolution for us, and I can't imagine the Catholic schools would ever align themselves again with football in any capacity, notwithstanding our FBS program and the 3 FCS programs.
they'd be stupid to not want it - basketball would be enhanced too.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted somwehere already but I can’t seem to find anything on it and this thread seems somewhat appropriate. Jay Bilas, during the Game Day broadcast last Saturday vs Villanova, said that the Big East may merge with the ACC. Is there merit to this or has he been throwing this out there for a while and it’s meh news? I don’t follow realignment closely but this is interesting for bball fans.

In the scenario of the ACC break-up and Duke, Wake, Pitt, Cuse and BC looking for a best fit (without P-2 options).

Here are 3 pods for hoops, adding JMU and Temple to get to 18. Play your own pod members twice and the other pods once. 22 game regular schedule.

Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Pitt

UConn, Providence, BC, Seton Hall, Cuse, St John’s

Nova, Georgetown, Temple, Duke, Wake, JMU

Football 9:
Pitt, UConn, BC, Cuse, Nova, Temple, Duke, Wake, JMU

Have 2 TV contracts, separated so basketball and football each bring their own value for proper member distribution.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was posted somwehere already but I can’t seem to find anything on it and this thread seems somewhat appropriate. Jay Bilas, during the Game Day broadcast last Saturday vs Villanova, said that the Big East may merge with the ACC. Is there merit to this or has he been throwing this out there for a while and it’s meh news? I don’t follow realignment closely but this is interesting for bball fans.

Talk of Big East-ACC merger at 3:40.

Reaction Score
they'd be stupid to not want it - basketball would be enhanced too.
People forget that it’s a business. What makes sense 10 years ago does not always make sense today.

Reaction Score
In the scenario of the ACC break-up and Duke, Wake, Pitt, Cuse and BC looking for a best fit (without P-2 options).

Here are 3 pods for hoops, adding JMU and Temple to get to 18. Play your own pod members twice and the other pods once. 22 game regular schedule.

Football 9:

Have 2 TV contracts, separated so basketball and football each bring their own value for proper member distribution.
while things are in flux it'd be a great opportunity to dump dead weight like Depaul and Georgetown.

Reaction Score

Football 9:

Why in pretty much every post I see Georgia Tech is left out. They'll be left out of any SEC/B1G expansion.

Reaction Score

Football 9:

Where is Cal, Stanford, SMU?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Football 9:

No other industry expands by shrinking the addressable market like college sports does. If the ACC and Big East were going to merge, they should just merge

Reaction Score
No other industry expands by shrinking the addressable market like college sports does. If the ACC and Big East were going to merge, they should just merge
It’s not likely in their current forms. It’s more likely from necessity when the bigger programs turn on the conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s not likely in their current forms. It’s more likely from necessity when the bigger programs turn on the conference.

The most likely outcome is that conferences will double down on linear cable broadcasting by picking off teams one at a time based on last year’s tv ratings because that is what the stupid do.

Reaction Score

Football 9:

We've had the discussion of how the former Big East Football programs have been doing along with their basketball programs. It's not stellar.

We'll allow WVU, Cincy and Louisville back in. For a fee. Invite USF for old times sake. We'll even allow Rutgers refuge. These programs can play in a more regional football conference they actually have a chance of winning and granted it won't be P2 money but it will be better than flying to Texas all the time.

Reaction Score
We've had the discussion of how the former Big East Football programs have been doing along with their basketball programs. It's not stellar.

We'll allow WVU, Cincy and Louisville back in. For a fee. Invite USF for old times sake. We'll even allow Rutgers refuge. These programs can play in a more regional football conference they actually have a chance of winning and granted it won't be P2 money but it will be better than flying to Texas all the time.
Rutgers is all set where they are

Reaction Score
It looks like the ACC would get 2 auto bids to the CFP which is extremely valuable. Add in their media deal and they will be the ones expanding, not an ACC/BE merger.

Reaction Score
It looks like the ACC would get 2 auto bids to the CFP which is extremely valuable. Add in their media deal and they will be the ones expanding, not an ACC/BE merger.
The easiest way for an organization to grow and expand is by merger and acquisition. If not an outright merger, the ACC could invite other football programs and a handful of basketball only programs. Strike while the Big 12 passed.

Reaction Score
The easiest way for an organization to grow and expand is by merger and acquisition. If not an outright merger, the ACC could invite other football programs and a handful of basketball only programs. Strike while the Big 12 passed.
Who is financing all this expansion?

Th B12 tried to add Calford and were told by ESPN/FOX there was no money to finance it. So instead they went to the ACC where they are getting a fraction of what their “conference mates” are making.

Even if the ACC loses a couple schools ( I don’t believe there will be a mass exodus) they won’t need to back fill.

I don’t think there is much left to Conference Realignment because the money has started to dry up.

Reaction Score

Football 9:

How did James Madison sneak into this discussion? And why does Georgetown keep getting kicked to the curb on football, while Villanova averaged 4,234 a game last season?

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What does 2 autobids to the CFP have to do with basketball?

Reaction Score

Th B12 tried to add Calford and were told by ESPN/FOX there was no money to finance it. So instead they went to the ACC where they are getting a fraction of what their “conference mates” are making.

Even if the ACC loses a couple schools ( I don’t believe there will be a mass exodus) they won’t need to back fill.

I don’t think there is much left to Conference Realignment because the money has started to dry up.

Each team could get a larger piece of pie. I think think there will be more movement and hope UConn can improve their situation. My confidence is not very high though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if those two bids would survive a P2 raid on the conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Seeing numbers like these for Iowa/OSU women’s basketball makes me wonder if FOX/FS1 doesn’t start putting more B1G women’s hoops and volleyball on TV with their current TV contract. Feels like they could at a minimum draw similar numbers to the average Big East viewership on FS1 (~178k) and within the realm of similar viewership for big FOX (~785k).

As an example, Nebraska/Wisconsin volleyball drew over 600k viewers on BTN (record viewership) this past year. No way that FOX is maximizing their potential audience with Big Ten volleyball and women’s hoops currently- and frankly its a matter of time until we start to see baseball and softball creep onto these channels too IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom